32 Assisted Living Facilities near Hampstead, MD
Also serving communities of Manchester.
There are 32 Assisted Living Facilities in the Hampstead area, with 2 in Hampstead and 30 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 96 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Hampstead. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Hampstead 2.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Westminster with an average rating of 4.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Hampstead, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Hampstead, MD
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Hampstead
Hampstead is a small town located in east-central Maryland along Chesapeake Bay. It was first settled by English immigrants in the 1730s and was originally called Spring Garden. Since then, the community has grown into a town of nearly 64,000 residents, about one in 10 of whom are seniors.
To support the senior population, Hampstead has two assisted living facilities. Seniors seeking more options can find 30 more facilities nearby. In Hampstead, as in the rest of the state, assisted living facilities may be categorized as a Level I, Level II or Level III facility, depending on the level of care provided. These facilities are licensed by the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene and are officially called assisted living programs.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Hampstead
- Hampstead's air quality is relatively poor, which may be a concern for seniors with respiratory or cardiovascular conditions. The American Lung Association gives Carroll County, where Hampstead is located, a D for ozone pollution, indicating fairly high levels of this type of pollution.
- The Hampstead area has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Westminster.
- Public transportation in Hampstead is provided courtesy of Carroll Transit System. This non-profit organization operates Demand Response rides and four fixed routes throughout the region. Adults age 60 and over ride for a reduced fare.
- Maryland is moderately tax-friendly for seniors. Retirees do not pay state income tax on income from Social Security income, and public pensions and retirement savings accounts are only partially taxed. Income from private pensions is fully taxed.
- Hampstead has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Bureau of Aging and Disabilities, an organization that organizes and implements social, recreational and fitness programs for older adults, as well as one senior center.
- While Hampstead's overall cost of living is about 17% higher than the U.S. average, it is roughly 10% lower than the statewide average, which may appeal to seniors who have tight assisted living budgets. Housing costs are fairly high here, but seniors can expect to spend about 3% less on healthcare expenses than they would elsewhere in the nation, which may offset some living expenses.
Note: Data on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Hampstead
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Maryland
Assisted Living costs in Hampstead start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Hampstead and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Hampstead
Seniors who live in Level II or Level III facilities in Hampstead and meet eligibility guidelines may have some care services covered by the Medicaid 1915(c) Home and Community-Based Options waiver program. Additionally, services may be covered through Maryland's Senior Assisted Living Group Home Subsidy program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Hampstead
Hampstead and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Hampstead, please visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Hampstead
Hampstead-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maryland are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maryland page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Hampstead, MD
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Hampstead
Review of Golden Crest Assisted Living
I visited Golden Crest Assisted Living, and it was extremely bad. The place was nice, but the problem was one of the administrators. She was terrible. She said they do not want me to come back. I o... Read more