3 Assisted Living Facilities in Michigan City, IN
The average cost of assisted living in Michigan City is $2,200 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,400.
To help you with your search, browse the 13 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Michigan City. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Michigan City 4.6 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Chesterton with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Michigan City, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Michigan City
Located in the northern region of Indiana on the shores of Lake Michigan, Michigan City may be a good fit for retirees who enjoy relaxing on the beach, exploring unique shops or experiencing the city's unique arts and culture scene. This city is home to a little over 31,000 residents, about 14% of whom are aged 65 and over.
Seniors who need supportive services and are no longer able to safely live alone may choose from one of three local assisted living facilities. In Michigan City and in all of Indiana, these facilities are officially known as residential care facilities, and they are governed by the Family and Social Services Agency Division of Aging.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Michigan City
- While particle pollution levels aren't a concern in Michigan City, the region has very high levels of ozone pollution, otherwise known as smog. This may cause breathing problems for seniors, especially those with respiratory conditions like COPD.
- Michigan City seniors pay state income tax on every form of retirement income except for Social Security benefits, which may cut down on how much money they can put toward assisted living expenses.
- The overall cost of living in Michigan City is lower than the national average by nearly 25%, which may make it a financially feasible option for seniors who are living on a budget. Healthcare is particularly affordable here at 20% below the national median.
- Michigan City is located in the northernmost part of Indiana and is subject to cold winds and lake effect snow coming off of Lake Michigan, making it one of the chilliest cities in the state. Summer highs are around 82 degrees, and winter lows are around 18. Seniors may want to find out what indoor activities are hosted by their assisted living facility during the cooler months.
- The Michigan City area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Franciscan Health Michigan City, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Crime is more prevalent in Michigan City than in the average U.S. city, with the majority of crime that takes place being property-related. Seniors may want to find an assisted living facility with security features like surveillance cameras.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Michigan City
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Indiana
Assisted Living costs in Michigan City start around $2,200 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Michigan City and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Michigan City
Seniors who need financial help with assisted living expenses in Michigan City may qualify for one of several state-funded programs, including Indiana Medicaid, the Medicaid Aged and Disabled 1915(c) waiver program and the Indiana Residential Care Assistance Program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Michigan City
Michigan City and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Michigan City, please visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Michigan City
Michigan City-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Indiana are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Michigan City
Review of Trail Creek Place
I really love Trail Creek Place. I've got the largest room here. I've got a small kitchenette, small living room, small bedroom, a walk-in closet, and a full bathroom. However, I'm not crazy about ... Read more
Review of Rittenhouse Village at Michigan City
My mother has been at the Memory Care facility Rittenhouse in Michigan City for two years. It was extremely nice with exceptional care and activities. The last six to eight months, we have notice... Read more
Review of Trail Creek Place
Brookdale Michigan City was fine, and the rooms were fine. The dining area was good, and the staff was friendly. The price was comparable to everybody else and was average. Read more