6 Assisted Living Facilities near La Porte, IN
Also serving communities of New Carlisle.
There are 6 Assisted Living Facilities in the La Porte area, with 2 in La Porte and 4 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in La Porte is $2,355 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Michigan City with an average starting cost of $2,200.
To help you with your search, browse the 30 reviews below for assisted living facilities in La Porte. On average, consumers rate assisted living in La Porte 3.4 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include LaPorte with an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in La Porte, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in La Porte, IN
What to Consider About Assisted Living in La Porte
The city of La Porte, which is located in LaPorte County in Indiana, is known for its unique turn-of-the-century architecture. This historical architecture can be enjoyed by seniors on the city's self-guided walking tour called A Stroll Along the Avenues, which covers Michigan and Indiana Avenues.
Of the city's population, about 17 percent are seniors. To support its aging population, the city has one assisted living community, and there are an additional five in nearby cities. These facilities are licensed and managed by the Family and Social Services Agency Division of Aging and offer at least one health-related service and two or more scheduled supportive services to five or more people.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in La Porte
- Summers in La Porte are long, hot and humid, and winters are cold and windy. The year-round temperatures vary between 19 degrees Fahrenheit and 82 degrees, making this city a good option for seniors who enjoy experiencing four distinct seasons.
- Air quality has a significant impact on seniors' quality of life, especially those who have respiratory or cardiovascular illnesses. The American Lung Association gave LaPorte County an ozone grade of D and a short-term particle pollution grade of B.
- The cost of living in La Porte is about 14 percent below the national average. Seniors can expect to spend about 12 percent less on groceries and transportation here than they would in the average U.S. city and about 20 percent less on health care expenses.
- La Porte seniors do not pay state income tax on their Social Security benefit, but Indiana does tax income received from retirement accounts or pensions.
- While the rate of property crime is quite a bit higher than the nationwide average, the violent crime rate is significantly lower. Seniors should take precautions to keep their vehicles locked and personal possessions secured while they are out and about.
- The La Porte area is home to world-class medical facilities, including La Porte Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in La Porte
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Indiana
Assisted Living costs in La Porte start around $2,355 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in La Porte and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in La Porte
Low-income seniors in La Porte may benefit from one of Indiana's state-funded programs that may help cover assisted living costs. Currently, there are three programs available, including Indiana Medicaid, the Medicaid Aged and Disabled 1915 (c) Waiver program and the Indiana Residential Care Assistance Program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in La Porte
La Porte and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in La Porte, please visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in La Porte
La Porte-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Indiana are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Indiana page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in La Porte
Review of Settlers Place
My mother's staying at Settlers Place. I am satisfied with it. The rooms and apartments are fine. The dining area and the food are very adequate. They take them to concerts and play bingo. They do ... Read more
Review of Settlers Place
My dad is in Settlers and it's affordable, which is nice. The staff is very nice and we're happy. The rooms are beautiful, very nice and neat and before a person moves in, they go in and paint and ... Read more
Review of Settlers Place
My mom is at Settlers. The place is nice and clean. The nursing staff is good, but because of the new administrator, I will not recommend that anyone should go there. It started when my mother sign... Read more