Citrus County is a vibrant community in the west-central region of Florida. Here, residents are surrounded by picturesque rivers and lakes with outstanding fishing, wild manatee sightings and award-winning parks. The region is best known for its farm-to-table restaurants and exciting year-round events that celebrate the region’s culture and history, as well as galleries, museums and performing arts centers. While the region is a popular point of destination with thousands of tourists annually, it’s also home to about 150,000 permanent residents, nearly 37% of whom are aged 65 and over.

In addition to a broad range of recreational amenities, Citrus County has a variety of senior care options for older adults, including 22 assisted living facilities. On average, these facilities charge approximately $4,527 per month, making it among the priciest regions in the state for this type of care.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Citrus County, FL

2015, 2022

Sunflower Springs at Homosassa

8733 W. Yulee Drive, Homosassa, FL, 34448

We looked at Sunflower Springs at Homosassa assisted living. The only drawback of the room we saw was the sink in the kitchenette area because it was way too small. It was just a bar sink. We went thr … (read more)

The Reserve at Citrus

2341 W. Norvell Bryant Hwy, Lecanto, FL, 34461

I went to The Reserve at Citrus. It was wonderful. I loved it. And if my mother was at that point and I was at that point, it would be high on my list. Everyone was very friendly. The admission lady, … (read more)

New Horizon Assisted Living Residence

1745 Forest Drive, Inverness, FL, 34453

I have toured New Horizon Assisted Living Residence. It was acceptable, but there was no opening there for my stepdaughter. I have to look for a place that knows how to take care of her. She’s totally … (read more)

Always There Assisted Living, LLC – Citrus Springs, FL

9368 N Gentle Breeze Loop, Dunnellon, FL, 34434

Always There is a home setting that is full of love. Along with exceptionally caring staff consistent care residents thrive. During the past difficult year with Covid, I cannot express how much Alwa … (read more)

Highland Place

700 Medical Court East, Inverness, FL, 34452

I toured Highland Place. It was very nice. It was beautiful like a five-star hotel, but my stepdaughter did not qualify there because they did not take her Medicaid or Medicare, so it was out. The lad … (read more)

2014, 2016

Rosecastle of Citrus

279 North Lecanto Highway, Lecanto, FL, 34461

My brother is in a facility called Rosecastle of Citrus down in Lecanto, Florida and we’ve made arrangements for my mom to go down there so they can be together. We went down to visit with my brother … (read more)

Grand Living at Citrus Hills

850 W Norvell Bryant Highway, Hernando, FL, 34442

My parents are in Grand Living at Citrus Hills. The staff is very attentive. All of their departments are very complete. They have doctors, professional nurses, and attendants. The building and ground … (read more)

Cedar Creek

231 NW US-19, Crystal River, FL, 34428

My mother-in-law is in Cedar Creek. It’s very, very nice, and we’re very happy. There’s nothing that I dislike. My wife has the same feeling. We like them very, very much. We have no complaints. She h … (read more)

Crown Court

109 NORTH SEMINOLE AVENUE, Inverness, FL, 34450

I had an in-person tour of Crown Court. Location-wise, because my sister-in-law is more active, so it’s more of a downtown location. It’s a converted hotel that is assisted and independent living, so … (read more)

Brentwood Retirement Community

1900 W. Alpha Court, Lecanto, FL, 34461

Brentwood Retirement Community has private apartments, so my friend has privacy there. The price was in her price range. The food is awful, she hates it and that’s the most negative thing about it. Fo … (read more)

Sunshine Gardens

311 NE 4th Avenue, Crystal River, FL, 34429

The everyday engagement is awesome. I have never stepped into a place that feels so loving.

Crystal Gem Manor Alf

10845 West Gem Street, Crystal River, FL, 34428

I am a resident here, and I find it very clean, comfortable, and homey. The food is delicious, but what really sets it apart from the others is the warmth of the staff, they REALLY DO CARE!

Diamond Ridge Health & Rehab

2730 W. MARC KNIGHTON COURT, Lecanto, FL, 34461

Life Care Center Of Citrus County

3325 West Jerwayne Lane, Lecanto, FL, 34461

Tender Loving Hospitality

125 NE 9TH AVENUE, Crystal River, FL, 34429

My aunt currently lives at Tender Loving Hospitality. The facilities are clean and well kept. The staff are caring, and very good at their jobs. They treat the residents like family. There are plenty … (read more)

Pleasant Grove Manor, Inc

5701 S. PLEASANT GROVE ROAD, Inverness, FL, 34452

My brother just went into the facility 1-1/2 wks ago and my other brother, sister-in-law and I were concerned (stressed) how we were going to get him to stay there. With the help/advice of Julie, adm … (read more)

Sugarmill Manor

8985 S. SUNCOAST BLVD., Homosassa, FL, 34446

My mother was in Sugarmill Manor. It was the most disgusting place. They had mice and roaches. The staff was not kind to my mother at all. They would laugh at her. They would sit all the Spanish peopl … (read more)

Key Training Center

5411 W. Safari Lane, Lecanto, FL, 34461

Paying for Assisted Living in Citrus County

The Genworth 2020 Cost of Care Survey, an authoritative data source that provides nationwide senior care cost data, doesn’t list assisted living fees for Citrus County. However, it does provide fees for Homosassa Springs, the county’s principal city. Here, seniors pay $4,527 per month for assisted living. This is about $220 higher than the national rate of $4,300 per month and more than $800 over the state’s monthly median of $3,700.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

Citrus County seniors pay some of the highest assisted living fees in the state, with average monthly costs coming in at $4,527. Only a couple cities have higher monthly rates, including The Villages, a planned 55+ community where this level of care costs $4,950 per month, and the state’s capital city of Tallahassee, where monthly rates average $5,506. In the Cape Coral area, assisted living fees are slightly lower at $4,500 per month. In the Deltona area, assisted living fees charge approximately $4,050 for services, and in Punta Gorda, care costs are a little lower at $3,938. At $2,895 monthly, assisted living fees in the Sebring area are the lowest in the state.

$4527

Punta Gorda

$2895

Sebring Area

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Citrus County

In 2014, the state of Florida replaced all their HCBS waiver programs with the Statewide Medicaid Managed Care Long-Term Care Program (SMMC-LTC), which helps eligible seniors pay for assisted living costs. Florida also has the Optional State Supplement (OSS), a non-Medicaid program available for qualified seniors.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Florida page.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Citrus County

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Florida page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Citrus County

ResourceContact Service
Elder Options(352) 378-6649Elder Options is the local Aging and Disability Resource Center and designated Area Agency on Aging that serves Citrus County and the surrounding region. It administers the Care Transitions Program for those transitioning out of a hospital or rehab center to their home or an assisted living facility, helping them delay or avoid nursing home placement through services such as care coaching and Personal Health Record development. The agency hosts Healthy Aging classes that feature age-friendly exercise programs and information on managing chronic conditions. It also provides Medicare options and benefits counseling and the Elder Abuse Prevention Program.
Citrus County Senior Programs(352) 527-5975Older adults in Citrus County have access to a range of social and recreational opportunities through the county’s Senior Programs. Some services that the county provides include assessment and case management, telephone reassurance and companionship. The county also operates several senior centers and dining sites where older adults enjoy congregate meals, games and health wellness programs.
Veterans Services(352) 527-5915The county’s Veterans Services Office provides a single point of contact for veterans accessing VA programs and benefits. At this location, certified officers help qualifying veterans apply for the Aid and Attendance benefit, pension programs and disability compensation, which may help them cover assisted living services. Officers assist veterans in gathering necessary documentation, applying for discharge upgrades, tracking applications through the approval process and disputing denied claims.
Community Legal Services of Mid-Florida(352) 726-0177Community Legal Services of Mid-Florida is a nonprofit law firm that provides civil legal aid to those aged 60 and over, free of cost. Through this agency, seniors get help with accessing public benefits, such as Social Security and Medicare. The agency can advocate on behalf of residents in civil matters such as financial and consumer issues. It can also help with advance care planning, including drafting simple wills and assigning guardianship and powers of attorney.
Retired & Senior Volunteer Program(352) 249-1275RSVP is the nation’s largest volunteer network for older adults. Through the local program, those aged 55 and over can serve their communities in the capacity that fits their interests and abilities. Volunteers have access to one-on-one assistance with placement in over 70 local schools, senior centers, nonprofit organizations, performing arts venues and museums. In exchange for their service, volunteers are recognized at annual events and receive partial travel reimbursement and supplemental liability insurance.
SHINE(800) 963-5337SHINE provides Citrus County seniors with free, unbiased health insurance options counseling. Trained volunteers answer seniors’ questions about Medicare benefits, available Medicaid waivers and long-term care insurance, which may help them identify their best options for covering health and senior care services.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Citrus County

Citrus County-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Florida are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Florida page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Citrus County