Brookdale Canopy Oaks

Assisted Living Reviews for Brookdale Canopy Oaks

April 12, 2019

By pmerrich

Other

I selected this facility for my brother. Its smaller that most others and that is what I was looking for. He has CP and gets overwhelmed is too large. The price was important as we have to pay out of pocket.

March 28, 2018

By Nicole

Brookdale Canopy Oaks was wonderful. I thought it would be a nice place for my parents. The staff was very friendly and helpful, and the place was very clean and had a nice atmosphere. The dining area looked nice. They also had an area where you could play games, sitting areas, and so on.

October 28, 2017

By Karlaw

I placed my mom in Brookdale Canopy Oaks this past July 2017 when I realized she needed a more structured and safe home life. Because I work in the medical field caring for the elderly, I am in a lot of facilities. I am very pleased with the care and compassion my mother gets at Canopy Oaks. The facility is clean and modern and bright and cheery! There is a sense of hominess and comfort as you stroll through the facility. My mom is very happy there. She has made friends and there is a wide range of activities for her to choose from to entertain herself. Thank you...to the staff of Brookdale Canopy Oaks!

June 07, 2017

By audrey702710

I almost chose Brookdale because my mom was there several years ago. It was a different name at that time, and they treated her well. It was not brand new, and it was a little less expensive. The amenities were very good. They had a lot of cards games and different games that the residents could play. They had a sitting room with a TV. For a fee, you could eat with your relative there. Every Sunday afternoon, they had church. They were not brand new, but they were good.

August 16, 2016

By Susan534271

I wouldn’t recommend Brookdale Canopy Oaks. The staff was nonexistent. The room was very old, not modern, not updated. The windows were full of mud, and when I asked the woman why the windows were muddy, she said that they had pressure-washed the place and hadn’t gotten to the windows yet, which was totally unacceptable. We went into the dining area and there was one lady sitting in there in a wheelchair, like they had forgotten about her. The tour guide said she was out of breath, but the tour took us three minutes, so I don’t know why she was out of breath. Being that out of shape, she shouldn't be taking care of the elderly. It had a horrible smell to it.

June 10, 2016

By Joyce277451

Everything at Brookdale Canopy Oaks was very good. The staff was really good with my dad. I never had a problem with them, and they let me know if anything changed. Dad liked it, felt good, and adjusted well. They went to different places and had activities in the facility. They had a TV, a piano, and lots of things to keep the residents busy.

September 30, 2015

By Amy113679850

I went to Brookdale Canopy Oaks for my parents. It was very nice. It was a little bit smaller, and maybe that would be good too. They had some nice facilities. I know they had a beauty shop -- which my mom would like -- and they also had a TV room. They had different activities going on that you could go to and some outdoor places that you could go sit. It was very nice inside too. It was decorated nicely. It seemed very clean. The room was a nice room.

August 31, 2015

Brookdale Canopy Oaks was a little outdated. It was an older facility. I thought it was a little on the dark side. It could be a little cheerier. Everything is too brown. The staff was very helpful. It was small.

August 21, 2015

I visited Brookdale Canopy Oaks. I was very impressed with the staff. They were very caring and very knowledgeable about what their facility provided. They were very helpful. The apartments were very nice and very clean, and the size was good. The arrangement was really nice and easy for someone to go around. It was a very nice facility. We looked at the dining room, and it looked like a nice dining area. They had some computer type games that they played. One of the things that impressed me was that everybody that we talked to seemed to be really interested in keeping the people there active and keeping them doing things that they could. They had people baking bread and baking cookies. There was a wide variety of activities they could do. However, the thing that impressed me most was that the rooms were newer, and the whole building was newer. The hallway in the Alzheimer's unit was wide, and it had a section down in the middle that had some artificial flowers, trees, and stuff like that. It just looked like it would be a much more pleasant place to be.

November 27, 2014

They did something very well. The facility itself was not as nice as the other facility my mom is in, but it wasn’t rundown. One of the things that impressed me right away is being in a nursing home, it didn’t smell like antiseptic; it smelled clean, and the only place that I kind of felt like they fell down a little was in their daytime staff. During the week was very good when it came to weekends and nights. Oftentimes if you would try to call there, sometimes the people you would get on the phone -- and I kind of have the impression maybe English was their second language -- and when you are trying to communicate about someone who can’t communicate well, it’s really frustrating when you are calling there and you trying to get information or give the information and they are not really understanding sometimes. So that was one place I would say they fell down. They came out to the house before we had mother go over there. They came over to the house, they evaluated her, and I thought they did a real good referral job of figuring out where she was on the scale, what stage she was in, and how much help she would need. I felt they did a really good job with that, and they seemed to have a really good comprehension of Alzheimer’s and how you handle people who have Alzheimer’s. There were a lot of things about it that was good; my only complaint about it would really be that they needed to do a better job and have some people in there that were more knowledgeable. They could go a long way if they would fix their problem with people.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. By giving us your feedback, you are helping us to understand what we do well and what we need to focus on improving. Please be assured your feedback will be reviewed and used to help better serve our residents and their families.

October 07, 2014

My visit was not impressive. The hallways were wide, but it did not look like a comfortable place; it looked more like a nursing home. The ambiance, the common areas were not very impressive. There were plainly furnished rooms that did not have another purpose but for general activities. They have one little area where people could stop to get an ice cream, and that’s about it they could do there. There wasn’t a lot of activities that they could do there. There wasn’t a lot of activities that I saw at the common area, and there was nothing going on when I was there. The rooms were very plain, smaller and did not have a kitchen. Everyone there was in their night clothes and very casual. There was no dress code.

Thank you for taking the time to visit and share your thoughts about our community. We deeply regret that we were unable to meet your expectations. Please be assured that we are always trying to engage our residents through scheduled programs and outings designed with their interests and capabilities in mind. From fitness and education programs to cultural and social events, there is something for everyone!

May 29, 2014

My mother is now here. All the experience that I have had there is that the staff is very caring and very attentive to her needs. Pretty much, she is always happy when I talk to her, so I know that she is being well taken care of. They are very clean and tidy. It is like a very nice hotel. I know they do a lot of activities with them. They do entertaining things, and they do hands-on crafts. They just do a variety of things to meet all of the interests of the people there.

May 29, 2014

By Steve36

It seemed a very nice place. My dad talked to some people in the lobby and saw some friendly people. I think he might have had a cup of coffee with somebody interesting there, and he’s very friendly. I talked to a few people, too. They were friendly and helpful. It seemed clean. The lobby seemed laid out nicely, and then there was a space behind, like a courtyard past it. There was nothing negative that I saw. The place seemed to be in the middle of things. It’s not too far from the hospital, maybe about ten minutes away at least. It’s not that far from everything. Overall it was a positive impression.

March 26, 2014

The staff are very nice and they are taking good care of her. The rooms are very good as well as the food. They do some kind of crafts. They do some minimal sports and a little bowling game, and they play cards. They also do some trivia and they listen to music and watch TV.

September 29, 2013

My wife is in ALF here. We're very much satisfied with this place. She moved there last December 2012. Aside from assisted living, they also have memory care facility. I noticed that some memory patients always have somebody with them.

November 16, 2012

By LeslieD1

My grandparents enjoyed staying here. My grandfather died but my grandmother still lives in that facility. It's nice, I have no complaints about it and it's just perfect.

Memory Care Reviews for Brookdale Canopy Oaks

Questions about Brookdale Canopy Oaks

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

MC staff completes all state required yearly training (4 hours) as well as monthly training by our Clare Bridge Program Coordinator.

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Brookdale Canopy Oaks. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

We have a great mix of residents with about 70% female and 30% male with an average age of 80 year old and they love puzzles, bingo, exercise classes and fun outings.

What programs or activities does Brookdale Canopy Oaks offer to enrich residents' well-being?

Our community offers exercise classes, therapeutic art, health talks, religious services, mystery rides, a Veteran’s club, live entertainment, daily social hour and much more.

What places are near Brookdale Canopy Oaks or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

Our community is right next to On Top of The World retirement community which offers fun events in their town square and also near shopping, banks, restaurants and tourist attractions.

What transportation services does Brookdale Canopy Oaks offer to assisted living residents?

We offer transportation to physician appointments two days a week, weekly trips to Walmart and other grocery stores, pharmacies, banks and also a weekly mystery ride, as well as monthly lunch outings and other fun trips.

What makes the chef or dining program at Brookdale Canopy Oaks exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

We use restaurant style dining with two daily entree selections as well as an anytime menu with other options.

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Canopy Oaks offer to assisted living residents?

We have concierge coverage at the front desk 11 hours a day on week days and 9 hours a day on weekends, a nurse call system, monthly elopement drills, monthly fire drills, resident ambassadors who help orientate new residents and CPR trained staff.

How does Brookdale Canopy Oaks keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

Monthly newsletter, email blasts to families and residents, guardian angels program (each manager assigned a number of residents to check on weekly and also call their families).

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at Brookdale Canopy Oaks during daytime and nighttime hours?

Staffing patterns are determined by current resident assessed care needs.

If Brookdale Canopy Oaks accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

Our community accepts dogs and cats who are current on their shots (subject to approval by Executive Director). Large enclosed courtyards for playtime or sidewalks and grassy areas on the front side of our property.

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

Our staff receives all required state training each year, as well as CPR training and monthly dementia care training.

How many staffers are on duty in the daytime and overnight?

MC staffing varies based on the acuity of the residents, but we are always well over the state standard for the total of weekly direct care hours.

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Canopy Oaks provide to protect residents who wander?

Assisted living residents must sign out if they are leaving the property. We do checks at meals and if a resident is not at the meal we locate them or check the sign out book to see if they have signed out. We have a detailed elopement policy and procedure and have monthly drills.

What programs or activities does Brookdale Canopy Oaks offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

We have a specialized extensive activities program which involves cluster activities based on a residents cognition level. Some activities include Reminisce, Trivia and Bingo.

Our Health and Wellness Director assesses residents’ health and cognitive function every 6 months or immediately if there is a change in a resident’s condition.

What techniques does Brookdale Canopy Oaks use to support memory care residents during mealtimes?

Some techniques we use to support memory care residents during meal times are weighted silverware, direct assistance with feeding and a one on one approach to help direct and encourage. Weights are monitored monthly and physicians are involved for significant weight loss. Also refresh program (warm scented towel prior to each meal).

How does Brookdale Canopy Oaks keep residents' families informed about their loved ones' health?

Guardian Angels (each manager assigned a certain number of residents and they have weekly visits with them and call families) CARE Tasks (each manager has tasks to complete with every new resident and family that help orient them. Health and Wellness Director and house physicians communicate directly with their loved ones.

Describe the neighborhood around Brookdale Canopy Oaks. Is it located in a residential neighborhood, a business district, a rural setting, or other type of locale?

We are located in Southwest Ocala near On Top of the World retirement community. We are on a secondary road and are on a large grassy lot with a great front patio where our residents love to hang out.

Is Brookdale Canopy Oaks affiliated with a hospital if more care is needed?

We generally send our residents to West Marion if additional assistance is necessary. However it is resident choice and there are 3 other hospitals in town to choose from.

Photos of Brookdale Canopy Oaks

• Licenses: ALF License # 9441
  • State Licenses: AL9441

About Brookdale Canopy Oaks

Amenities and Services
  • Daily assistance with bathing and dressing
  • Medication management
  • Dining assistance and special diets
  • Assistance with reminders and redirection
  • Escorts and assistance with walking
  • Emergency response call system
  • Laundry and linen service

*Rates subject to change at any time. Level of care not included.

Assisted Living Facility #9441

We have a beautiful property with many trees. An interior courtyard for relaxing and barbecues. We offer private and companion living options.

Map of Brookdale Canopy Oaks