21 Assisted Living Facilities near Hamden, CT
Also serving communities of North Haven, North Branford.
There are 21 Assisted Living Facilities in the Hamden area, with 3 in Hamden and 18 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Hamden is $3,577 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 103 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Hamden. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Hamden 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include East Haven with an average rating of 4.1 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 6 families in Hamden find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Hamden, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Hamden, CT
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Hamden
Hamden is known as The Land of the Sleeping Giant and seniors who enjoy leaf peeping can view beautiful foliage at Sleeping Giant State Park and other spots in the town. Hamden is home to around 61,000 residents and over 15 percent are aged 65 and older.
Seniors in Hamden who are mostly independent but need some help with daily activities can find care in one of the area's 16 assisted living facilities. Connecticut's Department of Public Health Facilities Licensing and Investigations Section licenses and monitors assisted living facilities in the state.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Hamden
- Hamden has cold winters, with an average low temperature in January of 20 degrees. The town also gets 31 inches of snow each year, 5 inches more than the national average, which may keep seniors inside during the winter months.
- Hamden's overall crime rate is 22 crimes per 1,000 residents, which is higher than 86 percent of Connecticut's other towns and cities. The property crime rate of 19.17 is almost two points higher than the state rate, which may worry seniors who are concerned about their safety.
- The Hamden area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Yale New Haven Hospital Saint Raphael Campus, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- CT Transit offers public transportation in Hamden and riders aged 65 and older are eligible for a reduced fare. A paratransit service is available in the area through the Greater New Haven Transit District.
- The Hamden Arts Commission offers residents of the town opportunities to experience arts and culture through concerts and other programs. Some assisted living facilities may also arrange trips to visit local galleries or see a show put on by the Whitney Players.
- The State of the Air 2018 report gave New Haven County, including Hamden, a mixed report. The county received a failing grade for ozone pollution and a "C" grade for 24-hour particle pollution, which may impact the health of seniors with respiratory conditions.
Paying for Assisted Living in Hamden
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Connecticut
Assisted Living costs in Hamden start around $3,577 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Hamden and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Hamden
Financial assistance is available to seniors in assisted living through the Home Care Program for the Elderly, but it is only available to residents of certain facilities, none of which are in Hamden. However, seniors receiving Social Security Income may be eligible for the Optional State Supplement (OSS).
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Connecticut page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Connecticut page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Hamden
Hamden and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Hamden, please visit our Assisted Living in Connecticut page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Hamden
Hamden-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Connecticut are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Connecticut page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Hamden, CT
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Hamden
Review of Atria Larson Place
Staff are always friendly and welcoming on the phone and in person. The nursing team is wonderful and very responsive. The entire team really cares about all of the residents and families. Read more
Review of Benchmark Senior Living at Hamden
We went to Benchmark Senior Living at Hamden. That one seemed absolutely wonderful. I actually had started a contract with them, and gave them a deposit. But the next day they called me, they did a... Read more
Review of Benchmark Senior Living at Hamden
Benchmark Senior Living at Hamden was lovely. The staff was awesome and the people seemed very happy. It was shiny, new, and it had interesting things to do and look at. I would have loved it if my... Read more