27 Assisted Living Facilities near Wallingford, CT
Also serving communities of Cheshire.
There are 27 Assisted Living Facilities in the Wallingford area, with 2 in Wallingford and 25 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 130 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Wallingford. Better rated regions include Meriden with an average rating of 4.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Wallingford, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Wallingford, CT
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Wallingford
Wallingford was founded in 1670 along the shore of the Quinnipiac River. Today it is home to almost 45,000 people and over 20 percent of the population is aged 65 and over. There are 21 assisted living facilities in Wallingford and nearby communities catering to the seniors in the area who need some help with daily activities but wish to remain mostly independent. Connecticut's Department of Public Health Facilities Licensing and Investigations Section licenses these facilities.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Wallingford
- CT Transit runs public transportation in Wallingford and seniors aged 65 and over are eligible for discounted fares. North East Transportation also offers a paratransit service in Wallingford that seniors may be able to utilize.
- The Wallingford area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Yale New Haven Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- The State of the Air 2018 report gave New Haven County, including Wallingford, a failing grade for ozone pollution and a C grade for 24-hour particle pollution. The high pollution levels may have an impact on the health of seniors with respiratory conditions.
- Wallingford is home to the Paul Mellon Arts Center, which hosts exhibitions, concerts and plays throughout the school year. Seniors interested in concerts may also enjoy seeing a show at Oakdale Theater.
- Weather in Wallingford can be cold and wet. There are around 115 days of precipitation each year, with 50 inches of rain each year, 11 inches more than the national average. In January the average low temperature is 17 degrees and the town gets around 31 inches of snow each year, five inches more than the U.S. average, which may keep seniors inside more in the winter.
- The overall crime rate in Wallingford is 14 crimes per 1,000 residents, which is higher than 67 percent of Connecticut's other towns and cities. While this seems high for Connecticut, the crime rate is lower than average for communities of a similar size across America. Both violent and property crime rates are lower than the state rate, which may reassure safety-conscious seniors.
Paying for Assisted Living in Wallingford
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Connecticut
Assisted Living costs in Wallingford start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Wallingford and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Wallingford
The Optional State Supplement (OSS) is available to eligible seniors in Wallingford who receive Social Security Income. Connecticut does offer further financial assistance through the Home Care Program for the Elderly, but it is currently only available to residents of specific assisted living facilities, none of which are in Wallingford.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Connecticut page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Connecticut page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Wallingford
Wallingford and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Wallingford, please visit our Assisted Living in Connecticut page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Wallingford
Wallingford-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Connecticut are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Connecticut page for more information about these laws.