The Etta at Shavano Park San Antonio, TX

4096 DeZavala Rd., San Antonio, TX 78249
The Etta at Shavano Park (800) 385-2527
PROMOTION! 2 days

In November, we are offering Assisted Living apartments starting at $2,400 and Memory Care at $3,200.

Reviews of The Etta at Shavano Park

Assisted Living Reviews for The Etta at Shavano Park

February 19, 2021

By Rhonda H

The Etta has had some transitional issues but the new Executive Director and management have certainly my turned things around. This is a great facility with beautiful grounds. The new staff along with some older favorite staff are doing a great job of caring for my aunt.

August 18, 2020

By Salvador

We took a tour of The Etta at Shavano Park. It's really good, and they're really attentive. They went above and beyond for us. They do assisted living, Alzheimer's, and they take care of your pills if you need it. The room size is good enough. It has its own little bed area and a small kitchen. It's like a suite in a hotel. The facilities are good. I was just expecting more outdoor space, but overall it's enough. I would prefer a little more space for them to walk around outside. COVID was already hitting when I took the tour, so they couldn't allow me inside the space. I was able to look at a specific room from the outside, but not come in or see the community in action. They opened the door and let me look inside the dining area, but not walk into it. It looked like a little restaurant; it had its own area where they serve the food, and it was nice. I looked at two or three places, but they were definitely the most attentive. I enjoyed the tour. I felt comfortable leaving my mother there. The staff member during the tour went above and beyond. We're from Puerto Rico, and she found typical Puerto Rican food and gave my mother a gift. She was really good.

February 17, 2020

By Mary Ann A

My mom has been a resident at The Etta at Shavano Park for three years. My sister or I visit her every day and find the care to be excellent. The staff really enjoys caring for older people which means so much to my family. My mom attends exercise classes daily and the Bible studies that are offered weekly.

January 16, 2018

By Judy

I thought that it was a really good place. It was very clean and the people were very friendly and they really tried to help. The dining room was pretty good and the people there seemed to like it. They have a library and an area for different things, there were also cozy-looking areas with couches where people can sit.

March 27, 2017

By Yvette280334

I saw the rooms at Brookdale Shavano Park were spacious and nice. The downside was that their refrigerators were not full; they were a smaller version. The staff was very friendly, and the residents seem to be happy.

November 01, 2016

By Terry625225

It was a little bit smaller, it’s close to me, and I liked it. I liked all the people there. I liked when they have music. The food was really very good.

March 31, 2016

By Karen32471150

It seemed clean and really nice. I liked the layout for memory care and all of the activities going on, like art. I liked the small kitchen setting where they allowed them to help with either baking or cooking and doing everyday things. They also had a very nice courtyard area where the residents can be outside and dig in the dirt. I liked the way that complex was laid out also because they had the ability to transfer from assisted to memory care within the same facility.

February 26, 2016

By Rene5

I went for my mother. It was very nice and looked like a new facility. There were a few staff members there who were very friendly and very nice. The atmosphere felt very relaxed. A lot of people there said it felt like they’re at home. It really looked comfortable. I saw two rooms, one empty and another one with somebody living there, that were well kept, clean, and didn’t have any strange odors. At that time, some of the seniors were working with puzzles.

July 28, 2015

They have been wonderful. I know they have bingo because my mother likes to participate in it. She has been there for a month now. It is neat, clean, and pretty. They have a workout facility.

July 20, 2015

By Christy8

They are wonderful. They have been doing a very good job, and they are very patient. It is a very clean facility. My mother does not care for the food, but it seems fine. They have bingo, jewelry making, and cooking activities. They also have a happy hour every Friday afternoons. She has a one-bedroom apartment with a refrigerator and a microwave. It has a nice sized bathroom. I think the room is quite large. She has a queen sized bed, a recliner, a night stand, a chest, and a sofa.

April 16, 2014

By aging as well

My mother lived in this community for over 3 years in both the Assisted Living and Memory care buildings. There was never a time that I was worried or concerned about her safety and well being. The staff were always supportive, caring and loving in their approach with her as well as with our family. I found that there were plenty of activities going on, though she often times was not interested in doing them. The facility was clean, smelled good and the staff were always friendly. It felt good to walk into the place and be greeted with smiling faces from the staff and other residents.

Memory Care Reviews for The Etta at Shavano Park

Questions about The Etta at Shavano Park

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

Every Memory Care associate receives 6 hours a year training, specifically related to dementia care. This is in addition to the 12 hours all associates receive.

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at The Etta at Shavano Park. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

Our residents’ average age is 86, which includes both our Assisted Living and Memory Care residents. Our residents love a good party, from our monthly Red Hat social to our ever popular Happy Hour, every Friday, with live music by Izzy. It is a rare sight to see our first-floor living room empty, as it’s normally filled with people playing Scrabble, chatting by the fire, or catching up with their neighbors.

What programs or activities does The Etta at Shavano Park offer to enrich residents' well-being?

Our focus on providing our residents with an Optimum Life ensures that our activities program is rich and varied, tailored to the needs and desires of our residents.

What places are near The Etta at Shavano Park or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

We are conveniently located in beautiful Shavano Park, mere minutes from the Medical Center area and the Rim.

What transportation services does The Etta at Shavano Park offer to assisted living residents?

Our community bus is available 3 days a week to provide for residents’ transportation needs.

What safety features or security measures does The Etta at Shavano Park offer to assisted living residents?

We do offer optional emergency call pendants for those residents who have the need. Additionally, every apartment has emergency pull cords to notify our 24-hour staff that they need help.

How does The Etta at Shavano Park keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

In addition to regular communication between our nurses and residents’ family members, every month one of our administrative staff calls the family member to share and inquire about the resident’s experience, from the family’s perspective.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at The Etta at Shavano Park during daytime and nighttime hours?

During the day our ratio is 1-7, and at night is 1-9.

If The Etta at Shavano Park accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

Our community does accept pets. Pets are allowed in all common areas, except the dining room. This, of course, is dependent on the pet “playing well with others”.

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

Every care associate receives 12 hours a year in ongoing training related to providing excellent and appropriate care to our residents.

How many staffers are on duty in the daytime and overnight?

Daytime: 4; Overnight: 3

What safety features or security measures does The Etta at Shavano Park provide to protect residents who wander?

In our Assisted Living building, we continue to observe residents to ensure that they are not a wander risk. In Memory Care, we have coded access doors throughout the building.

What programs or activities does The Etta at Shavano Park offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

We have a passionate Memory Care Life Enrichment Program Manager who oversees resident-centered programming that provides 6 activities per day, 7 days a week, to engage the whole person, aligned with our Optimum Life program.

One of our two nurses conducts the assessments, partnering with our Memory Care Program Manager (to assess cognitive functioning). Assessments are performed at least every six months or upon change of condition.

What techniques does The Etta at Shavano Park use to support memory care residents during mealtimes?

We use our refresh program, with scented, warm towels to prompt residents’ senses at the beginning of every meal. We offer choices to our Memory Care residents to preserve their dignity and independence. We also assist residents to continue to do for themselves as many tasks as possible.

How does The Etta at Shavano Park keep residents' families informed about their loved ones' health?

Describe the neighborhood around The Etta at Shavano Park. Is it located in a residential neighborhood, a business district, a rural setting, or other type of locale?

We are located in beautiful Shavano Park, which is known for its trees and whitetail deer. We are close to the city while preserving the feel of the country.

Costs for The Etta at Shavano Park

Photos of The Etta at Shavano Park

Services and Amenities of The Etta at Shavano Park

• Companion Suites: We Do Not Offer Companion Suites
  • Housing Extra: Alcoves

• Dining Extra: Private Dining Room

• State Licenses: 146269,103948

About The Etta at Shavano Park

Located in Shavano Park and tucked away in a wooded enclave, The Etta at Shavano Park offers a comforting lifestyle where you can fill your day with the things you enjoy. Play dominos, take a cooking class or join a club. Share stories with friends on a group walk or at happy hour. Say goodbye to daily chores and home maintenance. Daily decisions at The Etta at Shavano Park are centered around what friends to meet up with and what activities to participate in. And we are here to help, around the clock. We call it Relaxed Living.

Engaging Days

Our comfortable, inviting living spaces encourage socializing throughout the day. Join in on many of the activities planned daily by our Life Enrichment Director. We encourage residents to try new activities and to participate in classes.

Dynamic Dining

Every meal is like eating out with friends at a restaurant. Our chefs prepare three flavorful, balanced meals each day. Served restaurant-style, each meal includes multiple options so that you can choose what you want to eat.

A Team Committed to You

Our people are what make our community unique. Our specially-selected team members put residents first. We are committed to making sure your loved one has everything needed to live an engaging, fulfilling life.

We work with you and your family to develop a comprehensive, individualized care plan that balances independence and optimal quality of life. We take the time to understand your life story, preferences, and abilities.

All information from your personalized care plan is compiled into an advanced technology system used daily by our care partners to deliver high quality, consistent care. We also work hand-in-hand with your physicians to address all of your healthcare needs.

The Etta at Shavano Park is proudly managed by Aventine Senior Living. Aventine Senior Living is dedicated to excellence in care with a commitment to honoring traditions and family, inspiring greatness in our team, and celebrating culture.

With cooking demonstrations, exciting themed meals, happy hours, and so much more – we provide a culinary experience full of entertainment. We cook, serve, and clean up so you can relax and enjoy your meal or social event.

Map of The Etta at Shavano Park