Heartland of Centerville

Reviews of Heartland of Centerville

Nursing Home Reviews for Heartland of Centerville

June 16, 2014

By Dissatisfied daughter

We were shown images by a representative of Heartland while at Good Sam Hospital, of a 'sample' room my father would have when he arrived at Heartland; single room with full handicapped accessible toilet and shower, desk for writing or sitting and a large flat screen tv. This was not the room he was given; double bed, but assured no one else would be placed with him, no shower and a small tv on an extendable arm. After discussing this with the Director (father was a fall risk and hard of hearing), my father accepted the room since he was tired and didn't want to make a fuss. TV size and range limit of arm made it so he couldn't watch tv from any place other than the bed. Medication schedule was incorrect and took three days of speaking with different nurses to correct. (Water pills given at 9:30 pm instead of 5 pm or earlier). The food was not prepared for a 'Heart Healthy/Low Sodium' and 'Diabetic' patient, even though that was what was on his chart. He had cakes, pies and cookies, biscuits and gravy, processed meats, etc. From the list on the wall outside the nurses' station of the meals for that day (did not know what the meals would be in advance), the only thing they pulled from the menu for him to delete carbs was the extra bread items. When asked about the menu, I was told he could change what he received, but he needed to let them know ahead of time, but no list of options were given other than fruit salad and cottage cheese. He did send his meals back a few times, when he said the food tasted terrible and the staff gave him a good substitute or a sandwich. I was told the facility did not change the salt or seasonings on food, but modified the quantity the patient was given because they wanted the food to taste good. Not sure it helped much according to father. I had to request clean towels and washcloths several times while my father was at Heartland, not supplied every day. Since the patients are scheduled for showers only twice a week, this should have been a standard practice. They did not mopped the floor around his bed as far as I know. Since he ate sitting on the side of the bed, there were spots and dropped food where he would be walking when he went to the facilities. I cleaned the floor twice to remove debris. The only patient care conference he had was scheduled for 2:15 during the day. I instructed the staff I would take off work to attend since I had things to discuss. I arrived at his room at 2:16, the meeting had already taken place because the therapist had a call and needed to leave. I spoke with the social worker and discussed some of my concerns, she asked the dietician to come back down (not satisfied there at all), and I would need to make an appointment or call in the speak with the therapist at a later time. I was not notified ahead of time that the meeting would be moved up. The brochures and signs at the facility state the family can come to evening therapy and conferences, to be involved with the patient and instructed on techniques to help the patient when they go home, these things were never offered or discussed. The staff were always friendly, but seemed over worked, especially the nurses. The support staff was attentive, depending on who was working. Some evening he had to wait about 20-30 minutes for someone to come and answer a call. My father was there 3 weeks for rehab. I was notified on a Friday evening, by phone, he would be released the next Monday. I requested the nurse wait until I arrived to go over the discard instructions and the prescriptions before calling the local pharmacy, she said she would note that in his chart. I told them I would be there at 2 and would wait on the nurse if she was busy. The instructions (med list only) was given to father and all prescriptions were called into the pharmacy. This would be a great thing if I didn't already have the same meds at home that were just refilled before he became ill. I could describe other issues, but I think I've given enough to form an opion.

March 12, 2014

By jamaicameh

Horrendous care was given to my father, who was in for rehab from CHF. They overdid his physical therapy, gave him a HEART ATTACK, falsified documents to cover themselves, ignored him when he pleaded for help, and no one believed him when he asked for help. The food was deplorable, he lost 12 pounds while there for 8 days. Once he recovered enough to be moved from the hospital, we chose another facility for him. When we went to gather his belongings, 4 people were waiting with boxes to hurry up and move him out because they had another patient to fill the bed. Yet NOT ONE PERSON checked on him when he was having his heart attack. Had my mother not shown up, he probably would have died there. I would not wish this facility on my worst enemy.

March 22, 2012

By djskizzle1991

I really liked the location of the facility. It seemed to be very up to date and the grounds were well kept. The facility seemed to be very clean on the inside and the staff was friendly. The layout was spacious. I found it to be easy to move around in for the residents. There were nice activities for the residents to participate in during the day. The dining hall seemed like it was a good size for accommodating the residents. It didn't seem like there was over crowding. I was please to see that the residents had their own rooms, since I've seen other places where the residents were sharing rooms. The biggest down fall of this facility was the residents. The residents didn't seem to be very happy. The nurse aides seemed to be in quite a hurry with them and weren't very sociable or courteous. Overall, my experience was okay. If I was going to put a member of my family into care here, I would probably be concerned about the care they would receive daily. I would worry more about the mental, not so much the physical care that they would receive. This is why my rating was only a 3 out of 5.

Services and Amenities of Heartland of Centerville

About Heartland of Centerville

Heartland of Centerville is a senior living provider in Centerville, Ohio that offers residents Nursing Homes. Contact Heartland of Centerville for more details on services and rates.

Map of Heartland of Centerville