Garland is a family-friendly suburb in the eastern part of the greater Dallas, Texas, area. Seniors living here have access to world-class health care, including services from Parkland Garland Adult Care Clinic and Garland Behavioral Hospital. Garland’s senior population makes up about 12% of its 240,000 residents. Some of these individuals may need care from one of the area’s many nursing homes. In Garland, these average $5,171 per month, significantly lower than the national average of $7,756, according to Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey 2020

Nursing homes provide 24-hour medical care and supervision for those with health conditions that make it infeasible for them to remain in their homes. Included with room and board are other features such as nursing assistants and licensed nurses available around the clock to monitor conditions such as diabetes, provide wound dressing and catheter assistance, or help with personal care and the tasks of daily living. Therefore, nursing homes cost more than other types of long-term care. For people who don’t require dedicated nursing care, an assisted living community or home health care services may be a better option.

This guide covers the costs of different care types in more detail. It also lists some resources that help seniors in Garland and their families.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Garland, TX

Senior Care Beltline

106 N BELTLINE RD, Garland, TX, 75040

Called several times in a row. Someone picked the phone up and immediately hung up. I know I called the correct number.

Pleasant Valley Healthcare and Rehabilitation Cent

1525 PLEASANT VALLEY RD, Garland, TX, 75040

My mom is at Pleasant Valley Healthcare & Rehabilitation Center. She already moved in. She’s doing fine, she’s alright. They let me know everything going on. We chose this facility because of a ho … (read more)

Garland Nursing and Rehabilitation

321 N SHILOH RD, Garland, TX, 75042

This place was horrible. I went in looking to take a tour or at least talk to someone. I FOUND NOBODY!! I finally passed this woman that was rude, and she said "what are you needing?" I told her a … (read more)

Winters Park Nursing and Rehabilitation Center

3737 N. Garland Avenue, Garland, TX, 75040

My m-i-l pushes the button for assistance but nobody comes for several hours. My b-i-l caught her trying to get out of bed around the security rail (she is at risk for falls since that is why she is t … (read more)

Advanced Health and Rehab Center of Garland

505 W Centerville Road , Garland, TX, 75041

This place is the last call for family members. if you want to end their lives sooner than later send them here. The staff is TERRIBLE and the administration is just as bad. The basic patient needs ar … (read more)

The Plaza at Richardson

1301 Richardson Drive, Richardson, TX, 75080

My husband is at The Plaza, and the staff seems to be efficient and very caring. The place is cheerful. He has a nice closet and attached bathroom, and has a roommate, which is going well. The food is … (read more)

Christian Care Senior Living Community – Mesquite

900 Wiggins Parkway, Mesquite, TX, 75150

Christian Care Senior Living Community – Mesquite is located in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex and is a member of the Christian Care Centers, making it a faith-based, not-for-profit provider. Residen … (read more)

C. C. Young

4829 W LAWTHER DR, Dallas, TX, 75214

Mediocre nursing staff that needed constant prodding to follow through on many basics. My parent ended up with skin breakdown and was not assisted to be properly cleaned even after I mentioned my con … (read more)

San Remo

3550 N Shiloh Rd, Richardson, TX, 75082

Food is absolutely terrible. I wouldn’t feed to my dog. The staff is very unfriendly.when you call for help it takes an hour for someone to come.

Signature Pointe

14655 PRESTON RD, Dallas, TX, 75254

My father went to Signature Pointe. I didn’t get to go there and visit, but they did an excellent job. He went there for rehab from the hospital. They were very caring, very organized, very knowledgea … (read more)

Autumn Leaves

1010 EMERALD ISLE DR, Dallas, TX, 75218

Autumn Leaves on White Rock Lake is located on the edge of White Rock Lake Park in Dallas, Texas. Visitors are pleased to see a kitchenette, refrigerator and microwave in each apartment; the rooms are … (read more)

Highland Springs

7910 Frankford Road, Dallas, TX, 75252

Presbyterian Village North

8600 Skyline Dr, Dallas, TX, 75243

My mother was in Presbyterian Village for rehab. They did a great job and were caring and helpful. They talked about the problems with us and fixed them. Everything went well. They had very beautiful … (read more)

The Plaza at Edgemere Health Care

8502 Edgemere Rd, Dallas, TX, 75225

I didn’t find Edgemere any more appealing or attractive than the other facility I visited, and it was more expensive. I only visited once. The location is nearer to Highland Park which is the premie … (read more)

2012

Walnut Place

5515 Glen Lakes Dr, Dallas, TX, 75231

My Mother was in the skilled nursing care portion of the facility. At first, the quality of care was good.As time passed however, we found the staff indifferent, un attentive and sometimes rude.Upon … (read more)

Cottonwood Creek Healthcare Community

1111 West Shore Drive, Richardson, TX, 75080

Cottonwood Creek Healthcare Community is located in Richardson, Texas. The warm, homey atmosphere impresses visitors, as do the facility’s grounds which feature a number of gardens and courtyards. Res … (read more)

The Healthcare Resort of Plano

3325 West Plano Parkway, Plano, TX, 75075

Loved it. I continued with outpatient therapy after my Discharge. Absolutely good place to be mostly if you have complex medical needs. I absolutely loved the staff and enjoyed my stay there

Garnet Hill Rehabilitation and Skilled Care

1420 McCreary Road, Wylie, TX, 75098

My mom and dad were both at Garnet Hill, so I’m really quite familiar with it. Also, my brother was actually in Garnet Hill back in the fall, so I was up there recently. It’s very clean, and very nice … (read more)

Nursing Home Costs in Garland, Texas

Nursing home costs in Garland are $5,171 per month for a semiprivate room and $6,692 per month for a private room.

Note: Data for Garland was unavailable, so data for the nearest city, Dallas, was used instead.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

Using the costs for semiprivate rooms for comparison, nursing home fees in Garland ($5,171) are significantly lower than the national average of $7,756 by over $2,500. The city is slightly higher than the average for Texas, $5,019 per month.

Garland’s monthly nursing home costs are higher than similar-sized cities nearby. Waco and Tyler are both a few hundred dollars less, at $4,745 and $4,775, respectively. Sherman is still lower, averaging $4,494 per month, which is more than $600 less than Garland. The state capital of Austin is similar to Garland’s average costs, however, at $5,201 per month.

$5171

Tyler

$5201

Austin

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Nursing home care may not be the right fit for some Garland seniors and their families, due to its higher cost of care. Therefore, it’s essential to weigh all long-term care options for seniors. Adult day care is the least expensive option for seniors at $1,571 per month.  Homemaker and home health care services both average $4,385 per month, and assisted living is slightly more, at $4,400. Nursing home costs are by far the most expensive, with semiprivate rooms averaging $5,171 per month and private rooms at $6,692.

$4385

Adult day health care

$4400

Assisted living

$5171

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$6692

Nursing home (private room)

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Garland, Texas

Free Resources for Seniors in Garland, Texas

These community resources may be helpful to the Garland elderly and their families, making it easier for them to remain in their own homes and thereby delaying their transition into a nursing home. Other resources help seniors and their families understand their options for care and may help with placement.

ResourceContactService
North Central Texas Area Agency on Aging(800) 272-3921The Agency on Aging administers many programs to help area seniors. Representatives can help seniors and their families apply for government benefits, including Social Security and Medicaid, as well as find options for long-term care. Other services include education about topics pertinent to seniors, including early signs of dementia, preventing elder abuse and fraud and fall prevention.
Dallas County Veterans Services(972) 692-4939The county Veterans Service agency helps military veterans receive services they’re entitled to, including health care and pensions. Other services include finding counseling for topics like PTSD and grief and helping surviving spouses secure death benefits.
Legal Aid of Northwest Texas  (888) 529-5277Legal aid services provide help in civil matters to those who meet income guidelines. Some examples include representing seniors in cases of elder abuse and neglect, as well as landlord-tenant disputes, and investigating fraud. Other services include drafting trusts and living wills to ensure that seniors’ needs are protected in the event that they can’t advocate for themselves and filing for bankruptcy or divorce.
Office of the Long-Term Care Ombudsman(800) 252-2412Long-term care ombudsman representatives advocate for the interests of residents of long-term care communities, including nursing homes. They’ll investigate complaints filed by residents or by families of residents. Other services include lobbying the state government for greater regulations and oversight of long-term care homes.