Southfield is an Oakland County city in the Detroit metro area. According to the 2020 Census, an above-average 19.9% of its over 76,000 residents are aged 65+. Their medical needs are in capable hands, as the city and surrounding area are home to numerous hospitals with good reputations. Ascension Providence Hospital-Southfield Campus is ranked 10th in the state by U.S. News and World Report. Other nearby medical facilities in Michigan’s top 10 include Henry Ford Hospital and Beaumont Hospital-Royal Oak. There are also numerous nursing homes in the city. The median fee is $8,882, which saves seniors about $213 per month when compared to Michigan’s standard fee.

Nursing homes deliver high levels of medical care that seniors can’t receive in their homes. Staff includes licensed and registered nurses, therapists and doctors, with caregiving staff performing other duties, such as meal preparation, laundry and housekeeping. Seniors who require lower levels of medical care should consider home health care, or, if they need personal care only, assisted living

This guide goes into more detail about senior care costs and lists some senior-friendly resources in Southfield.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Southfield, MI

Evergreen Health and Living Center

19933 WEST THIRTEEN MILE ROAD, Southfield, MI, 48076

Evergreen Health and Living Center is an assisted living community in Southfield, Michigan. Residents and their families consistently give high marks to the physical therapy services offered at the fa … (read more)

St. Anne’s Mead

16106 W. 12 Mile Road, Southfield, MI, 48076

St. Anne’s Mead, which is located in Southfield, MI, not far from the Walter P Reuter Freeway, is a single-floor facility with a courtyard offering the fragrance and beauty of roses. Friends and relat … (read more)

Lahser Hills Care Centre

25300 LAHSER RD, Southfield, MI, 48034

I was very disappointed. Conditions were not good, the smell was terrible, and facility did not have an overall look of cleanliness. There were so many employees walking around, chatting at the desk a … (read more)

Medilodge of Southfield

26715 Greenfield Road, Southfield, MI, 48076

I am unhappy with the care that is given to my relative. If I were to place the care on a scale of 1-10, Medilodge would get a zero. I’m particularly concerned about the quality of care given to the r … (read more)

Lakeland Center

26900 FRANKLIN ROAD, Southfield, MI, 48034

June 2022 I found my spouse covered in feces a couple of mornings. When I got there to check on her a 10 am, the earliest the let you visit, I asked the only person on the floor that worked there for … (read more)

Oakland Nursing Center

22401 FOSTER WINTER DR, Southfield, MI, 48075

Advantage Living Center

25800 Northwestern Highway, Suite 720, Southfield, MI, 48075

Woodward Hills Nursing Center

39312 Woodward Avenue, Bloomfield Hills, MI, 48304

Woodward Hills has provided a spotlessly clean, supportive, professional, compassionate place for my father to recover after his hospital stay due to a fall. Everyone–from the director and doctor to … (read more)

Woodhaven Retirement Community

29667 Wentworth Street, Livonia, MI, 48154

Woodhaven Retirement Community is settled beside a lush forest located in Livonia, Michigan. The facility offers independent and assisted living, along with nursing and rehabilitation facilities. Wood … (read more)

2016

Presbyterian Village – The Village of Redford

25330 West Six Mile Road, Redford, MI, 48240

My son was there and the room was horrible. The place was so bad that i called the State of Michigan about the condition. He had numerous falls. The help was rude and uncaring. Appeared nice on the … (read more)

Dorvin Nursing Center

29270 MORLOCK, Livonia, MI, 48152

Well where do I start? My name is Robby. Im 27. And got vary sick and needed rehabilitation not just in heaalth in life as well. So When i arived throwing a temper tantrum because i didnt want to go. … (read more)

CLOSED – Law-den Nursing Home

1640 Webb St, Detroit, MI, 48206

My grandmother is in Law Den Nursing Home. The community is excellent, they’re great, they communicate with you, they’re nice, and hands-on. They make sure she gets everything she needs. After getting … (read more)

Four Chaplains Nrsg Care Center

28349 Joy Road, Westland, MI, 48185

I would never recommend this place. My mother came for a post hospital physical therapy. She saw therapy maybe twice was told the PT/OT room was closed due to Covid. Why would the accept anyone if ser … (read more)

Mission Point of Madison Heights

31155 DEQUINDRE, Madison Heights, MI, 48071

I toured Cambridge East and knew immediately it was more Care than my father needed. He’s currently in an Assisted Living but I’d like him closer. I had a very nice tour and then received a follow … (read more)

SKLD

6950 FARMINGTON RD, West Bloomfield, MI, 48322

My mother was in nursing at SKLD and that was bad, I wasn’t crazy about that place at all. They never called me, they never did anything except when it was time to pay the bill. The people who were wo … (read more)

Beaconshire Nursing Center

21630 Hessel Ave, Detroit, MI, 48219

My dad has dementia and Beaconshire Nursing Center has place there that takes care of people like my him. Everything is all good. If it wasn’t good, I wouldn’t have put him there. The staff is real ni … (read more)

Cambridge North Healthcare Center

535 N MAIN, Clawson, MI, 48017

I want to THANK Renee Thursday November 26, 2020 for making it possible for me to visit my friend Carol W. during Thanksgiving eve . I had not been able to see her from her 2nd floor room during this … (read more)

Pomeroy Living Sterling Skilled Rehabilitation

34643 Ketsin Dr, Sterling Heights, MI, 48310

My father-in-law was brought in after staying in a acute care facility for additional rehab. While he was there we were not given updates on his status, we always had to reach out. They only reached o … (read more)

Redford Geriatric Village

22811 W SEVEN MILE RD, Detroit, MI, 48219

My aunt is at The Villa At Great Lakes Crossing. It is a small facility. They only have about 90 beds. The care that my aunt has been given has been excellent. She is always clean, always fed, and she … (read more)

Advantage Living Center

16181 Hubbell Street, Detroit, MI, 48235

I visited Advantage Living Center, and they were pretty good. The rooms were semi-private, meant for two people, and they were pretty nice. The staff was very nice and courteous. The floors are clean, … (read more)

Nursing Home Costs in Southfield, MI

The median monthly fee for a semiprivate room in a Southfield nursing home is $8,882, while a private room is around $10,190.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

Southfield’s median monthly fee of $8,882 for a semiprivate room in a nursing home is costlier than the national midpoint of $7,908. However, it’s at the more affordable end of the spectrum in Michigan, where the median fee is $9,095. Southfield isn’t the costliest city in this part of the state, as its median fee isn’t as high as Lansing’s $9,551 or Ann Arbor’s $9,733. Seniors looking for more affordable cities nearby may want to consider Flint, where $8,395 is the norm, or Monroe, where the midpoint is $7,893.

$8882

Ann Arbor

$7893

Monroe

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Southfield’s most expensive type of senior care is a nursing home private room, which is typically $10,190, falling to $8,882 for a semiprivate one. It’s worth considering costs for other types of care, as nursing home residents frequently move down the scale as they recover. Assisted living is around $4,215 per month, while adult day care is about $1,430. Home and home health care agencies share a median fee of $5,720.

$5720

Adult Day Health Care

$4215

Assisted Living

$8882

Nursing Home (semiprivate room)

$10190

Nursing Home (private room)

Note: Data for Southfield was unavailable, so data for the nearest city, Detroit, was used instead.

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Southfield, MI

Free Resources for Seniors in Southfield, MI

There are numerous free resources for seniors in Southfield, each delivered by a government agency or nonprofit dedicated to making life easier for older residents. The following list provides a sample of some services available.

Resource

Contact

Service

Homebound Southfield adults aged 60+ who can't make their own meals or have someone who can cook for them may be eligible for the Meals on Wheels program funded by Area Agency on Aging 1-B. Volunteers deliver meals before lunch on weekdays. A typical delivery includes a fresh meal for lunch and another for the evening. There's also a facility to deliver frozen meals for weekends. Although donations per meal aren't compulsory, they are welcomed to offset the agency's costs.

Lakeshore Legal Aid is a nonprofit law firm committed to advising and representing Southfield seniors in matters concerning civil law. The firm covers many aspects of civil law, including individual rights, income tax, consumer issues, public benefits and housing. It also specializes in elder law and protection from abuse. Lakeshore Legal Aid can't assist in criminal law cases.

Seniors and family members concerned about the quality of care in a nursing home can contact the Long-Term Care Ombudsman program, which will investigate their complaints. The program's ombudsmen are trained volunteers who deal with complaints in confidence and attempt to resolve issues through negotiation. In some cases, such as if the investigation raises concerns about criminal behavior, the ombudsman will pass the case to an appropriate authority.

Area Agency on Aging 1-B may be able to provide in-home care services to residents who satisfy eligibility criteria. These typically include the senior being at risk of transferring to a nursing home facility and having an income and assets within the program's guidelines. The program is also available to existing nursing home residents who may be able to transition to in-home care.

Oakland County Veterans' Services can help vets and their dependents identify and apply for the state and federal benefits they're entitled to, and support their claims for compensation linked to military service. The department can also help vets file applications for VA Aid and Attendance, which can cover some nursing home costs.