Brookdale Southfield

Reviews of Brookdale Southfield

Independent Living Reviews for Brookdale Southfield

January 17, 2019

By Deb

I chose Brookdale Southfield because it's multi-cultural, it's warm, loving, and friendly so far. So far, I don't see anything negative. There's always a variety of apartments to choose from. My husband and I chose something based on availability and we're satisfied with it.

June 23, 2018

By Constance

Brookdale Southfield is gorgeous and looked like a four-star hotel. It really is quite beautiful, and they keep the grounds up outside. They also keep up the inside and it's clean considering all the people in there. The meals mostly are very good, nutritious, and cooked well, but every now and then, it's not so good. They do use a lot of fresh food and not canned stuff. I feel very good about eating there. I'm basically vegetarian, but I never have any trouble getting full. The apartments are all different. I have a 2-bedroom, 2-bath apartment. When you walk in, to your right is the second bathroom and the guest bedroom, and there's also a linen closet in the hallway. The previous tenant had a washer and dryer, so I have that. The living room/dining room combo is pretty good. To the left is my bedroom, bathroom, a big walk-in closet, and there's a galley kitchen. I've got windows in every room, so it's nice, light, and bright. I have a balcony, so it's a gorgeous apartment. The place has a swimming pool and sauna. We have a Wii, Bingo, Poker, different arts and crafts, people who come in and entertain a minimum of two nights a week, Happy Hour two days a week, they serve wine during one of our meals, exercises, yoga classes, Tai chi classes, we go to the casino twice a month, and they take us shopping at one of the grocery stores at least three times a week. They go to the theater and movies once a week. They have Bridge on Fridays, card tables, a pool hall, knitting room, and a library with computers. They have religious services a couple of times a week and current events.

December 26, 2017

By Andrew

My mom moved into Brookdale. The staff is friendly, helpful, and they do what they say they're going to do in a timely manner. They exercise, they have concerts, lectures, and card playing clubs. There's a private duty assistant to help out, so she's not alone all the time. They have a beauty salon, and they arrange transportation for doctors' appointments.

March 29, 2017

By Kevin503777

Brookdale Southfield was good. The rooms were very nice because they have kitchenettes. They had many activities available on a daily basis, and the amenities are first class. The grounds were nice, but there was limited space. The dining area was very nice.

December 20, 2016

By Stanislaus

First bad experience with Brookdale. A week ago I reported that the closet door in my brother-in-laws room needed to be repaired. When I returned this week the door was not repaired. I went to report the problem at the front desk, I was abruptly and not to pleasantly told not to talk about what happened last week just report what I wanted fixed. Fixing the door more timely is one problem but being told not to mention that a week has gone by and nothing has been done is totally disrespectful.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. By giving us your feedback, you are helping us to understand what we do well and what we could focus on improving. Please be assured your feedback will be reviewed and used to help better serve our residents and their families.

October 21, 2016

By Pamela436270

Brookdale Southfield is wonderful if you're in independent living, but if you require assisted living, I would not recommend this place. It provides daily entertainment for the residents throughout the year. There are several activities that seniors can do as long as they're independent. The care providers that they have on staff are horrible. The in-house care staff needs better training and more education so they can provide care to residents who require it. Right now, no one can puree food for the residents.

We take your comments seriously and are committed to providing quality care and services to our residents and their families. Our management team has reviewed these concerns and we wish to assure you the safety and well-being of our residents is our top priority.

May 10, 2016

By MaryAVXCR

I liked Brookdale. The staff was fine. There's a pool and a gym.

March 30, 2016

By Cliff5

We looked at Brookdale, which we really liked. The rooms were fantastic, and all of the activities were great, but it was a little bit pricey for my dad. They did have an elevator, and my dad would still be able to get around there, but the only drawback was the price. They had a lot of activities going on, a nice big library, and a lot of community areas where people get together. It was large and spacious. We were very pleased with it.

January 25, 2016

By Sidney M

Brookdale Southfield, I think, is the one of the best locations. I would want my own mother to go there, too, except that her needs are not so advanced; which precludes her from going there. I think it really helps to promote the level of dignity that aging would need so Brookdale Southfield is like at the top for me. It’s kind of expensive, but I feel that if you could afford it, it’s certainly worth it; compared to other places that sometimes even cost the same amount. Everyone who I talked to was really friendly, and helpful.

September 20, 2015

By Caring113195550

It's a large complex with over 200 apartments. There was a program going on at the time I was there at Brookdale Southfield. The apartment was nicely appointed. They had a little grocery store and a snack bar area there. However, it is high cost. The staff was very professional, and the people that I came in contact with were friendly and helpful. The people were busy and seemed to be moving around and active.

August 17, 2015

The rooms were nice, and the food was good, but the care team was bad. We liked everything about this one but the care team. My dad probably would still be staying at Brookdale Southfield if they had a decent care team. I can say the food was good, and the rooms were excellent. Their facilities and activities were good. The care team, the housekeeping, and all that was zero.

July 31, 2015

I liked Brookdale a lot; it was nice and newer. I thought the facility was better than the other two places I visited. There seemed to be a little more activity, and it seemed to be a fresher and new environment. The menus looked nice. My mom would need a soft menu, and they said they could accommodate her because they have alternate selections. They require you to go down to the dining room to have dinner.

July 04, 2015

It was excellent. I did the tour and talked with the representative. The rooms had a living room, a kitchen, a bedroom, and a bathroom.

June 20, 2015

I don't like the setup at Brookdale Southfield, and the staff was not very friendly. The dining area was OK, and the rooms were good, but the kitchen just feels so small. They were playing something down in the dining area, but I don't like it because if the patient can't get down there or doesn't feel like going down to the dining area, he won't get a chance to eat. The place was decent, but they just need to change their menu. The staff during the tour was OK; I thought you're supposed to see some helpers for the patients, but I didn't see that.

May 04, 2015

I came across it by going online. I like it, and that place is very nice. The only thing is the price is very high. The staff is friendly, and they knew their clients by name. The rooms and apartments were nice and clean. It was a while back, but I do remember that I was impressed with the place. The library and the meeting area and all those places are really nice. They have a store in there so the elderly don't have to leave the building to go get little things. The dining area was clean, but the seats were made of cloth which kind of have an odor in them. Someone is sitting at the front desk, but it could probably get some better security measures.

March 30, 2015

We saw the amenities, and we saw what they offered, but it was a little expensive. We couldn't afford it for my parents. The staff did very well. They showed me and mother around. They had doctors there, and they could go downstairs to see them. They have people that come and check on them.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about our community. Your feedback is always considered and appreciated!

February 10, 2015

I was able to place my brother here. Caring.com was the one that found this place for me. They have an indoor pool. We like the facility. We like the people, and we like the price.

December 30, 2014

By DMS24

My parent moved into this facility about a month ago. After the initial visit we thought it would be a great place for him. It looked very nice and they said all the right things. Well a month later we found out that they were handling my parent roughly and giving him his medicine at the wrong times of the day. After being told they continued to do it. We were recently notified that my parent suffered a separated shoulder while there. Be very careful if thinking about using this place and do further research besides just being taken in by the nice looking surroundings.

This is very concerning to us and we take this matter seriously. We hope that you will call us at 877-400-5296 to discuss your concerns in greater detail.

July 18, 2014

It was a very nice facility. It was a very big complex or community. I think there were five floors in the building. It had a very wide variety of residents. It had residents who were still driving, some individuals were strictly assisted living, and some were independent living. I thought the accommodations were very nice. It did seem a little big and overwhelming to me. Also, it didn't meet our wish list or tick the boxes of what we needed.

May 12, 2014

The atmosphere was beautiful, warm, and inviting. The staff was very gracious and very welcoming. They made it me feel at home, and they even sent a little gift for my mother. I didn’t get to eat the food, but it did smell very good. The rooms were set up very nicely. I was able to stop to an art class where people were working on art projects, and that was very interesting. I really like the décor and how warm and inviting the facility was. I wish they had nursing care because Mom needed more than what they had to offer.

May 10, 2014

By Ericka2

It was really nice, and I really liked that place. The first impression on coming in was it was very elegant; it wasn’t sad and gloomy, and it was vibrant. They were doing things, and it was a multicultural thing; it was really nice. They would have been my first choice, but it was a little more expensive. They have a huge sitting room out front, weight room, and physical therapy rooms. They have fresh water and coffee for the residents all day. The large room where they had their meals was very nice. I didn’t see the rooms personally, but only the floor plans.

February 27, 2014

My mother is in here. We choose it because it seems to be the best one around the area. The staff is very nice. They have nice size apartments. We are able to get a studio for her and it is very nice. They have activities like music, groups and gym. They even take them out to stores.

January 29, 2014

By Darryl3

The rooms were fine. The staff was great. They have things there on schedule for the people to do and go to trips. It's clean, modern and up to date. It just seemed friendly for the elderly.

December 26, 2013

By Fonzie

I have watched this facility go down for a while. there is arguing in the dining room due to slow service, diabetics having to wait for over an hour for breakfast and dinner. I suspect this is because of a cut in help to save money. the quality of food has also gone down, portions are small. activities are not up to par as in the past. there are few choices. For the cost this should be an exceptional home for the elderly and skimping shouldn't happen. The problem could be poor management.

August 15, 2013

Our experience was very nice. We visited this place for my parents. The people we talked to were very nice and knowledgeable. We went there on a Sunday and there weren't a whole lot of activities going on at that time. The biggest drawback that we have for this facility is that it is a five-story building.

July 31, 2013

By Deborah15

It was simply gorgeous. It was fabulous. The building was beautiful. I loved their apartments. They had a full view on either side that made the sunshine come into their apartments and really brightened it up. All the facilities that they had were extremely nice. Their staff was excellent, very cordial and very professional. They had an indoor pool and physical therapy. They had a deli-shop if you didn't want to eat at the dining room. The dining room was beautiful. You would think you're coming into a grand hotel. Of course, it was expensive, but if you can afford it, it's gorgeous. I liked the fact that everything was so convenient. You could either have their staff come in to do your laundry for you or they had the other option of having a washing machine and dryer available on each floor for the residents to use themselves. They had in-house nurses and a doctor facility right there in the building. I would recommend them to others.

July 24, 2013

By Kendra1

We chose it because they gave my grandmother the independence that she needed in addition to the activities that she was accustomed to and that allowed her to not feel bad about needing the help that she needed. She needs round-the-clock care. If she pushes a button, somebody comes down for her. They got bingos and they go to trips. They have an art room and they have a swimming pool. You name it they have it. The place is amazing. The dining room is beautiful. It's like eating in a Marriott Hotel. The food is good. The atmosphere is nice.

July 10, 2013

By Julia2

It was a very nice facility. I wish my mom would agree to go there. I liked it very much, but she is unwilling to leave her home at this time. If I were in that situation, I would think that it would be a wonderful place to be. The people were very nice and the place was nice and clean. I can't really say enough about that place. The only thing that I saw that they could improve on is the parking availability because it seemed they have limited space for that.

June 12, 2013

By Erica2

I visited and I saw that the place was nice. The people were also very nice. They were able to show me the activities that they have.

December 22, 2012

By TrishaLyman

The staff was all very kind and accommodating.The facility itself was beautifully cared for. It looked as if the residents were enjoying their time there: There were plenty of activities for them to indulge in, and there seemed to be an air of contentment about the place. In comparison to other homes I've visited, this one is much better.

April 24, 2012

By kshamrock20

Having been in a few different assisted living locations during my life, not for me, of course, I have to say that this place was one of the nicer ones. It's located in Southfield, which is a nice area. It doesn't look like much from the exterior, but once inside you can see why the place is a little more expensive than other assisted living homes. I had a Great Uncle stay here for a little over a year. I didn't know him well, but I often went with my Mother to visit him. The main thing I noticed was that it had a contemporary smell, which is rare in these places. It didn't smell "old" or have a distinct nursing scent. It was very nice and I remember my great uncle really enjoying his stay, but ultimately the place was a little too expensive. I think you get what you pay for in these places. I don't remember the staff being around my great uncle very much when I was there. I wouldn't doubt that they have good service there, it's just that my great uncle was very independent and didn't really need assistance in any way that I could discern.

December 06, 2011

By Social Worker # 1

I think it is an excellent choice for placement for some who is looking for a placement for a friend or a family member who prefers to live independently or in an assisted living apartment. While there, I noticed that the common areas were very nice for the seniors to enjoy a fulfilled life style with other seniors. The facility is surrounded by acres and of beautiful land and the country fresh smell of the fresh country air is so satisfying and relaxing. They offer their residents an array of services and support systems to fit right into each and every individuals Centered plan of care. It is an elegant apartment setting and surrounded by beauty both interior and exterior. Their residents are treated like family and they provide them with luxuries such as; their outdoor gardens, convenience store, on site house physicians and a wellness clinic, for the wellness of their residents overall health. They also provide their residents with an indoors swimming pool for their residents to exercise in and keep a healthy life style. Their professional skilled health care team is on site 24/7 for the convenience of their residents and they also encourage their residents towards a healthy life style and independence a primary promoter of growth and health. They also provide a formal dining setting for their residents, transportation services, linen and housekeeping services to their residents. The also provide their residents with the highest levels of quality care that is possible for their residents. I would most definitely rank it a fives stars rating for their excellence and expertise in the promotion of health and independence.

September 09, 2011

By My Home

It is a good choice for elderly people or for independent living folks with physical and mental limitations. Its a place where these people can share a cosy, simple and silent living environment with a touch of emotions. The facility itself is well cared for. The management is really good, responsive. People who are being adandoned by their kith and kins or are alone in the big world can satisfy their living.The rooms are neat and clean. They are open and bright and gives a fresh breathe through out the day. There are attendants and caretakers assigned to each floor who are available 24/7. The rooms are with internal cable fittings and intercom phone connections to each room. It also has an AC and a temperature control system fixed to adjust with the climate. There are activity rooms(gym), beauty shops, laundry, restuarant and a big parking area as well. The place has a great area to spend a lovely walk with your partner. The area is so built that an elderly /physically retarded person can rest for a while admist of his/her a walk.With all these facility where a person can satisfy his luxury but also can get the care and emotion touch from the people around. Though situated in the interiors of the Michigan state, people are hardly aware of this place. This can be an advantage to add up to its lovely and peaceful environment.

June 30, 2011

By GuiCyber

I have a friend who is a resident of the facility. It's located on Eleven Mile Road in Southfield. I visit him often, and usually always dining with him during my visit. Great service and food I must say. They have a Celebrations program once a month, where you can be very social and do interesting activities. You cant get too bored here, there's always something one can do. My friend enjoys this place very much. And I do too during my visits. I recommend to those seniors looking for a fun, active, and social assisted living.

Questions about Brookdale Southfield

Describe the overall population of independent living residents at Brookdale Southfield. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

The average age of our residents at Brookdale Southfield is 82. They enjoy fine dining, elegant events, and resident-directed activities such as aquatics exercise class in our indoor pool, Flex Your Brain educational presentations, and trivia games.

What places are nearby for independent living residents to enjoy?

We are conveniently located in Southfield close to I-696 and M-10 with easy access to shopping areas, restaurants, and casinos.

What are some recent off-site events that the community activity director at Brookdale Southfield has organized?

Residents have enjoyed trips to the Detroit Institute of Arts, MGM Casino, and Emagine Theaters.

What transportation services does Brookdale Southfield offer to independent living residents?

We offer two types of transportation - a bus with a lift that can accommodate all residents including those in wheelchairs and a town car for private trips or smaller groups. Transportation is offered six days per week within a fifteen mile radius.

What makes the chef or dining program at Brookdale Southfield exceptional? What kind of menu can independent living residents expect?

Our chef at Brookdale Southfield has been with the company for 20 years and works with our residents to create menus they enjoy using their own recipes.

What common areas are available for independent living residents?

Residents can enjoy a large community living room, indoor pool, library, bistro, and billiards room.

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Southfield offer to independent living residents?

Brookdale Southfield has a state of the art fire safety sprinkler system. There are pull cords in all apartment bedrooms, bathrooms and common areas along with an option to enroll in an emergency pendant program. We conduct a daily check-in for every resident and have a 24-hour concierge on site.. We also have 24-hour care services available for emergencies or to hire for personal needs.

If Brookdale Southfield accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

We love small pets! They are welcome inside resident apartments and common areas if on a leash as well as in our large courtyard area outside.

Does Brookdale Southfield work with an agency or registry to provide nursing and medical assistance as needed?

Brookdale Southfield works with Brookdale Health Service which provides home health care and hospice and a 3rd party care provider who is on site 24/7.

Photos of Brookdale Southfield

• Internet Enabled Rooms

• Tai Chi

• Home Sale Assistance

About Brookdale Southfield

Brookdale Southfield provides a full range of choices for today's seniors. Choosing a senior living community represents a lifestyle choice and we understand that our residents are choosing much more than a comfortable living environment to call home. Our Brookdale community delivers Inspired Independent Living, with the promise of Exceptional Experiences Everyday. In choosing this community, our residents have made a conscious lifestyle decision designed to deliver enhanced opportunities for pursuing health and life fulfillment through the exceptional services, amenities and opportunities we offer.

Our Optimum Life® and Celebrations programs provide an all-encompassing way of life that touches our residents, their families and associates alike. Optimum Life® is a journey of self-discovery including services, features and benefits that allow each resident to pursue their peak level of health, wholeness and fulfillment while balancing six key dimensions of personal wellness: emotional, intellectual, physical, social, spiritual and purposeful. As part of Optimum Life® we encourage our residents to celebrate life each day. Inspired dining, with fresh meals prepared by chefs trained in our own Culinary Arts Institute, and vibrant lifestyle activities come together in our Celebrations program. These activities fill the monthly calendar with themed experiences, special events and group activities highlighting different cultures and cuisines in a common venue of camaraderie.

Map of Brookdale Southfield