26 Independent Living Communities near San Diego, CA

2015, 2016, 2019, 2020

Belmont Village Sabre Springs

13075 Evening Creek Drive South, San Diego, CA, 92128

I saw both independent and assisted living facilities at Belmont Village Sabre Springs. They seemed to have recently updated a lot of their facilities, and it was pretty nice. They provided activities … (read more)

Atria La Jolla

4025 Pulitzer Pl, San Diego, CA, 92122

I’m a resident of Atria La Jolla, and I was also with them for a year and a half previous. They sent me a card in December saying that if I would commit to moving in January, they would guarantee me a … (read more)

Oakmont of Pacific Beach

955 Grand Avenue, San Diego, CA, 92109

2013, 2015

Atria Collwood

5308 Monroe Avenue, San Diego, CA, 92115

I really liked this place for my grandma. The reason why I liked it is because she was happy and made a lot of friends there. The facility kept my grandma engaged- from their library to their social e … (read more)

2013, 2015, 2017

Wesley Palms

2404 Loring Street, San Diego, CA, 92109

Wesley Palms San Diego Retirement Community was nice, but they didn’t have anything available. They had a mile track around the property, which my father likes. But if he needed more assisted living, … (read more)

Atria Rancho Peñasquitos

12979 Rancho Peñasquitos Blvd, San Diego, CA, 92129

Merrill Gardens at Bankers Hill

2567 Second Avenue, San Diego, CA, 92103

Merrill Gardens has a wonderful cinema. It was very nice when you come inside. The rooms were very nice too. They have an exercise room and a library. They also have wifi for computers. They have a wo … (read more)

St. Paul’s Manor

2635 Second Avenue, San Diego, CA, 92103

St. Paul’s Manor was really lovely, but it was way over the amount of money I could pay. It’s just beautiful and they had a whole page of different activities that were just fascinating. I loved it an … (read more)

The Remington Club

16925 Hierba Drive, San Diego, CA, 92128

The Remington Club was nice. I was looking at independent care. The rooms were nice, and the layout was nice. It was just a little bit too spread out, and too large for my dad. The person I met was ve … (read more)

The Orchard

4040 Hancock Street, San Diego, CA, 92110

I’m living in The Orchard now. I’ve been here since the 1st of August. I am impressed with all the activities that they have, and the fact that I could go to grocery stores if I need to. They have … (read more)

Pacific Regent La Jolla

3890 Nobel Drive, San Diego, CA, 92122

We live in a senior residence where we have a lot of things that are very helpful to us, like valet service, dining room, and housekeeping. We have a lot of these good stuff here, but we don’t have … (read more)

University City

6102 Gullstrand St, San Diego, CA, 92122

University City Village is wonderful. The room is very spacious enough for me. The place is very safe actually. It is way too expensive, but the people are very nice.

Villa Pacifica Apartments

3630 6th Avenue,, San Diego, CA, 92103

My wife and I have been in Villa Pacifica for six years now. It costs $1,200 plus utility, so it is almost $1,300 a month. It is a very nice place. They take good care of it. Every floor has washers a … (read more)

Paradise Village

2700 East 4th Street, National City, CA, 91950

I visited Paradise Village. It has all the amenities I’m looking for, and it has a lot of programs for health and wellness. The staff is very professional, very knowledgeable, and very helpful. The at … (read more)

Grossmont Gardens

5480 Marengo Avenue, La Mesa, CA, 91942

Grossmont Gardens in La Mesa, California, is situated on nine acres of landscaped grounds with beautifully manicured gardens and walkways. Residents compliment the walking paths for exercise and the a … (read more)

Fredericka Manor

183 Third Avenue, Chula Vista, CA, 91910

Fredericka Manor is located in sunny Chula Vista, minutes from the San Diego Bay and easily accessible from I-5 and I-805. Residents and visitors praise the facility for its unique option for cottage … (read more)

The Montera

5740 Lake Murray Blvd, La Mesa, CA, 91942

The Montera was in the process of updating their facility. I wasn’t comfortable with it. They’ve got a lot of trees, but it’s kind of like a cave. I asked if they have aerobics, and they said no, but … (read more)

2016

Monte Vista Village

2211 Massachusetts Avenue, Lemon Grove, CA, 91945

Our experience at Monte Vista Village is very positive. The personnel are very friendly and helpful. The grounds are flat, which makes it easy for me. The rooms are very nice and comfortably designed. … (read more)

Waterford Terrace Retirement Community

5580 Aztec Dr, La Mesa, CA, 91942

Waterford Terrace was wonderful. We loved it. It was on top of our list, but it was not licensed assisted living, which was slightly concerning. However, they have a caregiving operation that works cl … (read more)

2015

Coronado Retirement Village

299 Prospect Place, Coronado, CA, 92118

Coronado Retirement Village is a combined independent living and memory care, so they have a separate area for patients with Alzheimer’s. My dad is in the section where he has his own room. He’s very … (read more)

What to Expect in an Independent Living Community

Many seniors love how independent living communities reduce unwanted stress, hazards, and fatigue in their lives. Independent living communities take care of housekeeping, yard work and meals while still allowing residents personal space and the dignity of making their own choices. These communities usually provide seniors with an apartment that has a small kitchen, bathroom, living room, and one or more bedrooms. Those who want a small space may even find that some independent living communities offer studio-style apartments. Seniors can invite guests over and enjoy their rooms however they see fit.

Independent living communities often also include the following:

• Numerous opportunities for socializing and exploring new activities
  • Easy access to public or community-provided transportation
  • Meal plans for community dining as well as kitchens for seniors who like preparing their own meals
  • The ability to keep small- and medium-size pets such as dogs and cats
  • Housekeeping, laundry and groundskeeping services
  • 24-hour staff on-site who can be contacted if a problem arises

For a more detailed look at common amenities, check out our guide to independent living communities.

What Couples Should Know About Independent Living in San Diego, CA

San Diego is an idyllic seaside community of 1.4 million people, where average summer temperatures stay around 76 degrees and breezy sunshine is the norm. Seniors in San Diego pay an average of 15% less for medical care at excellent local facilities, such as UC San Diego Health. Crime rates are 20% lower in San Diego than the national average, which along with the weather and the thriving senior community, encourages aging citizens to get outdoors and meet others at senior-friendly local events, such as Forever Fit in Lopez Ridge park.

Senior couples can get around San Diego at a discount by riding the buses and light rail of San Diego Mass Transit (SDMT). SDMT buses are all disabled-ride equipped, and routes cover almost all of the busiest parts of the city out to the quiet suburbs.

Paying for Independent Living in San Diego, CA

San Diego seniors pay an average of $3,720 a month for independent living. This is significantly higher than the national average monthly cost of $2,550. Seniors in some nearby areas, such as National City, also pay somewhat less than San Diego’s average cost, at $3,360.

The annual cost of living in an independent living community can range anywhere from $12,000-$42,000, depending mostly on the amenities, room type and cost of living in the area. In addition to using personal retirement income, annuities, long-term care insurance, or cashing out an existing life insurance policy, some seniors can use Social Security funds, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments granted due to disability or low-income or HUD-provided housing assistance such as vouchers. Another route many seniors choose to fund their independent living stay is renting out or selling their homes that they won’t need once they move or taking advantage of a reverse mortgage

Our guide provides a more in-depth look at independent living costs and solutions for those who want to learn more.

How to Choose an Independent Living Community

When choosing an independent living community, it’s best to consider many factors, including the community’s proximity to loved ones and medical care, the state of repair that the facility appears to be in, the attitude and efficiency of the staff, the cost of both rent and services, the facility’s pet policy and more.

Comparing multiple communities can help seniors and their families figure out what they value most in an independent living community. During tours of these communities, staff members should be available to answer questions. To help with the touring and comparison process, we’ve included a checklist full of pertinent questions that anyone can download and print for themselves.

Transitioning to Independent Living

Independent living communities, rather than memory care or nursing homes, are often the first place seniors move to when they realize they need a lifestyle change. The necessity of letting some possessions go and the reality of leaving a home and neighborhood after possibly decades of residence there can make transitioning to an independent living community difficult. These communities are often friendly places, but being in a new environment still initially triggers feelings of loneliness in many seniors.

Having a strategy for dealing with the challenges of moving can make the transition to an independent living community a positive experience. We’ve created a downloadable step-by-step guide for tips to making this transition as smooth and enjoyable as possible.

Independent Living Resources in San Diego, CA

There are many other resources and activities for seniors in San Diego. Use the table below to learn about the options available for older adults in the area.

ResourcePhone Number Description
AgeWell Services Centers (619) 236-6905 AgeWell operates nine senior centers in and around San Diego. Seniors enrolled at the centers can join in community meals, interest clubs and fitness facilities near their homes. These centers also provide limited legal assistance services for those who are 60 or older, including will making.
On the Go (858) 637-3210 Jewish Family Service offers On the Go as a free volunteer ride service for seniors in San Diego. Riders must be aged 60 or over and in need of transportation for personal occasions, such as medical appointments and family visits. Some types of ride must be booked seven days in advance, while others are on-demand.
Health Insurance Counseling & Advocacy Program (HICAP) (858) 565-1392 HICAP helps San Diego seniors navigate the complex legal landscape of Medicare, Social Security and estate planning at no cost.