Sunnymere

Reviews of Sunnymere

Assisted Living Reviews for Sunnymere

May 10, 2016

By Darleen4

Sunnymere was an excellent place with only 27 residents. The food was too starchy for me, but Mom loved it. I decorated her room, so she has the fanciest room there with an office setup and a computer. Ruth is a registered nurse that runs the place, and she is the most caring, most wonderful, educated, workaholic person you could ask for. Judy, the marketing person, together with their board, are all wonderful people. I was impressed with their activities and would like to support and help them. The staff is just as sweet and humble as can be, and their attitude is phenomenal.

March 31, 2016

By Emily20

We visited Sunnymere, which is a non-profit community. The staff seemed nice and dedicated. The community is nice and cost effective with good age diversity. The place looked good and had nice, old-fashioned feel. The only thing I didn’t particularly like about it, from what I saw, was that they don’t really have individual bathrooms in the rooms because it is an older place. The rooms were nice, though.

October 22, 2014

By ChrisandTim

We visited several facilities for my mom before choosing Sunnymere, many of which exceeded a $4000 monthly cost. We also found that with the high hoity-toidy prices came more residents and fewer workers. At Sunnymere, the ratio of staff to residents is unbelievable, so many caring people who have at Sunnymere forever... ( a good testament to wonderful work environment and dedication to the elderly). My mom loves the quaint antique decor and the wonderful staff. As for me and my family, we are so happy and never worry about my mom's care. Renae, who in my opinion, is an amazing administrator, caring, energetic and beyond anyone that I could have hoped for. We thank God everyday for her.

October 18, 2014

By visitoften

I visited a few other locations and liked them, until I saw Sunnymere. I love the setting with the views of the golf course, the "home" feeling and even the screen porches with wicker rockers. I was impressed by the staff, from director to the aides and was impressed by the ratio of staff to client. The food is wonderful, there are numerous daily activities and I trust the staff with my mother-in-law. That feeling of confidence is so important to my family. I visit a few times a week and have always been greeted with friendly smiles. My mother-in-law is happy and well taken care of here, which is my bottom line.

October 08, 2014

By mydad'shappy

When the day to day chores of life became overwhelming for my Dad we found Sunnymere. Sunnymere is a lovely old Victorian home that sits at the edge of Phillips Park Golf Course serving good food. There is nothing institutional about Sunnymere. The staff is very respectful to all the residents and my Dad is receiving great care. When we were looking for a home for my Dad, several places looked like upscale hotels, but Sunnymere felt like a home, and at the end of the day you want your love one to feel at home. My Dad has been a happy resident of Sunnymere for a little over 2 years.

October 07, 2014

By mleej

My mother moved into Sunnymere last year. My Aunt has lived there for 10 years, so we were familiar with the dedicated staff and quality of the facility. The grounds are beautiful with mature trees and a view of the Phillips Golf Course. My mother enjoys the view of the golf course and the flowers on Smith Boulevard on her daily walks. And, the food is great!

October 07, 2014

By Love my soup

Other

My father was a resident and was shown love and respect by all the staff and those in authority. He enjoyed the food and company around him. The facility is very homey and affordable.

August 14, 2014

I knew immediately this is a no when I saw the rooms. The shower is in the hallway. The actual toilet is between living room and bedroom in a little hallway. It's horrible. How can you have the shower in the hallway? It's definitely an older building, very quaint and cute on the outside, but when you get in the inside you can tell it's a very old building which has not been updated. I think they had kitchens where they showed me. But it was just the layout of the rooms. I was so disappointed I didn't stay there very long. I went in and out. When they showed me the unit, and that the shower was in the hallway and the way the toilet was, I knew my mother would never want to be there. So it kind of wrapped things up. I didn’t spend a lot of time asking questions because I knew it was a no. The location is right off behind a park in Aurora, so it's a cute location. But as far as wanting to be there, as far as comparison of places, it just seem a little bit lower class.

Independent Living Reviews for Sunnymere

• Internet Enabled Rooms

• Staff Patient Ratio: 15 To 1
  • Pets: No Pets Allowed

About Sunnymere

Sunnymere is a non-profit organization which strives to provide gracious living accommodations for senior citizens. Based on the belief that human dignity is paramount, facilities are provided at moderate, subsidized prices and accommodations are maintained at a level responsive to the changing needs of the community.

The seed was planted in 1895 with a gift of a house and lot from Harriet Colby. The Old Ladies' Home of Aurora was established. Another Auroran, Clara Bowron bequeathed her entire estate to establish the Bowron Home.

Realizing the necessity of a larger home for a growing community, the Old Ladies' Home and the Bowron Home combined resources to build Sunnymere on the land given by Jessie Farnsworth. The name Sunnymere was selected as a memorial to her, and the first residents moved in on July 16, 1939.

Sunnymere has undergone many changes since those early years. Today, Sunnymere is a licensed sheltered care home for seniors 65 years and older. Sunnymere has always provided residential care for Independent seniors. In 1998, due to a recognized need for assisted living services at a reasonable cost, Sunnymere began providing assisted living.

Sunnymere continues to be one of the most beautiful and special senior residences in the Fox Valley area. Come visit us and we'll show you why we say, "Why visit a Bed & Breakfast, when you can be living in one!"

Map of Sunnymere