The 10 Best Assisted Living Facilities in Aurora, IL for 2023
With an average cost of $4,517 in Aurora, it’s often difficult to find assisted living communities that provide high-quality care at an affordable price. At Caring.com, our mission is to make this process as smooth and painless as possible, and we’ve helped many families along the way.
This guide provides everything you need to quickly compare communities and narrow your search, including 62 unique reviews from residents and our comprehensive database that gives pricing, amenity information, photos and more on the 9 facilities in Aurora.
Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Aurora, IL
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Aurora
Aurora, Ill., has much to offer its residents, including a vibrant arts and cultural scene. It has scenic parks, outdoor recreation areas and fantastic day trips for seniors living in the area.
Seniors who wish to move into an assisted living facility in the area have 37 assisted living facilities in and near the city from which to select. An assisted living establishment is defined as a residence for three or more unrelated adults, of which at least 80 percent are 55 years of age or older. The Illinois Department of Public Health regulates assisted living communities in Aurora as well the rest of the state.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Aurora
- Although the cost of living in Aurora is only slightly higher (101.9 compared to 100) than the U.S. average, seniors on a budget may look to other cities in the state. The Illinois average is 96.
- The sales tax rate in Aurora is 8.3 percent, 2.3 percent higher than the national average. The city's income tax rate, however, is lower than the U.S., with 3.8 percent to the country's 4.6 percent.
- Seniors can feel safer in Aurora, as the violent crime rate in Aurora is 25.9, considerably lower than the U.S. average of 31.1 and the state of Illinois average of 31.2.
- Aurora enjoys 192 sunny days each year and a July high temperature of 84. The winters can be harsh, with around 28 inches of snow per year and a January low temperature of 15.
- The Aurora area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Presence Mercy Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Fox Valley Park District has an Active Adults program through several community centers in Aurora. It offers lunches and holiday parties, along with exercise and computer classes. They have a wide assortment of events from which to choose, all designed to keep adults 50 years and over active and engaged.
Paying for Assisted Living in Aurora
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Illinois
Assisted Living costs in Aurora start around $4,517 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Aurora and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Aurora
In Illinois, Medicaid does not pay for services in assisted living establishments. The Medicaid 1915(c) Waiver (Supported Living Program) and the Medicaid 1915(b) Waiver (Managed Long-Term Services and Supports Program) pay for assisted living costs for those who qualify.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Aurora
Aurora and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Aurora, please visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Aurora
Aurora-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Illinois are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Aurora, IL
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Aurora
Review of Jennings Terrace
Jennings Terrace was more like a nursing facility. The apartments were two rooms, a bedroom, and a small living room. There's a community shower, and that was unacceptable. The facility was nice. T... Read more
Review of Jennings Terrace
Jennings Terrace was clean and the people were friendly. The girl that gave me the tour was very friendly, very good, and thorough as to what goes on there daily. It was easy to get around in there... Read more
Review of Bickford of Aurora
Bickford of Aurora was a beautiful place. The facility was really nice. It's newer, but the cost is a lot higher. It's almost $5,000 a month and the fee will go up every year. The business director... Read more