Hendersonville is home to over 58,000 residents, including about 8,700 seniors aged 65 and older. Residents enjoy the city’s rich history and charm, including beautiful scenery, great parks and 26 miles of shoreline on Old Hickory Lake that offer endless opportunities for active seniors to pursue a fun outdoor lifestyle. Seniors can fill their retirement years with tons of local activities and attractions, and it’s a short 19 miles to Nashville, home of the Grand Ole Opry, Country Music Hall of Fame, the Tennessee Titans NFL team and tons of museums and galleries.

Assisted living facilities provide room and board, personal care and limited medical services to enable residents to age in place. Seniors enjoy their continued independence combined with personalized supportive care when needed. In Hendersonville, seniors can expect to pay an average of $3,720 per month for assisted living, which is lower than the statewide average and significantly lower than the national median.

This guide provides an overview of assisted living costs in Hendersonville and compares those fees with rates in nearby cities and other types of senior care. It also covers the benefits and drawbacks of retiring in Hendersonville and includes a list of free resources for seniors.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Hendersonville, TN

Red Cedar Glen

202 Walton Ferry Road, Hendersonville, TN, 37075

I went to Red Cedar Glen last year. We are familiar with it, and we have another family member there also. They have large rooms compared to the other places, a dining area as well, and they have form … (read more)

Clarendale at Indian Lake

195 Indian Lake Blvd, Hendersonville, TN, 37075

What my wife and I enjoy about Clarendale is the attention paid to residents from the staff. The building and amenities are very nice as well. We love all the ice cream socials. There are also many as … (read more)

The Hearth at Hendersonville

419 East Main Street, Hendersonville, TN, 37075

The Hearth at Hendersonville was exceptional. Their amenities are fabulous. They are welcoming. They have followed up with me a million times. I’m already on their email list to get daily activities, … (read more)

Main Street

674 East Main Street, Hendersonville, TN, 37075

I’m in Main Street. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The nurses are great. The meals are medium. They only take you to a doctor on Tuesdays on their bus; otherwise, you get there some other way … (read more)

New Hope Senior Living

1333 Hogan’s Branch Rd, Hendersonville, TN, 37075

This is not a facility, it is a home. My mother lived here for two months under the care of hospice. We were there with her daily. The staff is very caring. It was beautiful watching them interact wi … (read more)

American House Hendersonville

1020 Carrington Place, Hendersonville, TN, 37075

I visited for my mom. I went to both assisted living and memory care. I really liked the staff, they were caring, compassionate, and knowledgeable. The rooms were small, pretty small. They have a nice … (read more)

Park Place Retirement

31 Executive Park Drive, Hendersonville, TN, 37075

I went to Park Place Retirement. They were pleasant. They had a hobby train area where guys or girls could play with trains. That caught my eye because my dad was a train hobbyist. It was several floo … (read more)

Maple Cottage Assisted Living

101 Maple Dr., Hendersonville, TN, 37075

Long Hollow Terrace

3048 LONG HOLLOW PIKE, Hendersonville, TN, 37075

They could not keep my Dad from getting outside on a busy road. They do have a special floor for Alzheimer’s Residents with a locked door. But he was not watched close enough because he went out as so … (read more)

Maristone at Providence

140 Providence Trail, Mount Juliet, TN, 37122

Maristone at Providence was very nice. The staff member took us to the memory care and assisted living parts. We saw the one-bedroom and studio apartments. They were all clean and very nicely set up. … (read more)

Sage Hill Maybelle Carter

208 West Due West Ave., Madison, TN, 37115

I toured Sage Hill Maybelle Carter for my uncle. It was beautiful. I loved the layout of it. I met the staff, and it was very nice. The walkthrough was fine and everybody was willing to help me. They … (read more)

Harmony at Mt. Juliet

103 Belinda Parkway, Mount Juliet, TN, 37122

Harmony at Mt. Juliet was a beautiful place. It was great. I’d do it in a heartbeat if I could afford it, but it was just way out of my price range. The staff members were very friendly. The rooms wer … (read more)

The Capstone at Station Camp

108 Miss B. Blvd, , Gallatin, TN, 37066

My mom will be moving into The Capstone at Station Camp. It had excellent reviews. It is closer to my home. It is very elegant and very well laid out. They have outdoor areas for dining, visiting, and … (read more)

Carrick Glen Senior Living

100 Carrick Court, Mount Juliet, TN, 37122

We went to Carrick Glen Senior Living. I like the people that we met. The building had a new edition for assisted living, so we like that. Also, it’s very quiet and not right next to any major roadway … (read more)

Brookdale Gallatin

400 Hancock Street, Gallatin, TN, 37066

Brookdale Gallatin was nice. I went there to visit a very dear friend. I didn’t particularly like the lunch service setup. Whatever you had did not matter, like that day they were serving hotdogs and … (read more)

Charter Senior Living of Gallatin

1085 Hartsville Pike, Gallatin, TN, 37066

I really liked it, but they are an assisted living facility and not memory care, so it was not as secure. The residents can just walk out and that was a concern to me. I would’ve certainly considered … (read more)

Charter Senior Living of Hermitage

4131 Andrew Jackson Parkway, Hermitage, TN, 37076

Charter Senior Living of Hermitage looked nice. It’s very clean and the staff was very friendly. The room my father will be in is a little smaller than what I wanted, but they have availability. I put … (read more)

Brookdale Goodlettsville Assisted Living

2025 Caldwell Drive, Goodlettsville, TN, 37072

Brookdale Goodlettsville was newer, so it was nice. They just didn’t have the two-bedroom apartment that we needed. Their apartments were smaller, but they were still nice. The staff was knowledgeable … (read more)

Jubilee Hills Goodlettsville

322 Northcreek Blvd., Goodlettsville, TN, 37072

Beautiful facility & reasonably priced. Food very mediocre and unappealing. Lockdown policies were difficult and the facility didn’t do much to help this fragile population understand and cope w … (read more)

The Opal at Music City

2733 McCampbell, Nashville, TN, 37214

My husband is at The Opal at Music City. The outside needs a lot of work, but the inside is very nice and the residents are all smiling, so that’s always a good sign. The caregivers are very active wi … (read more)

What to Consider About Assisted Living in Hendersonville

The Tennessee Department of Health’s Board for Licensing Health Care Facilities licenses assisted living facilities in Hendersonville and throughout the state. Assisted living facilities provide personal care to older adults and may provide medical services. The Department completes a pre-licensure inspection and makes unannounced inspections of every facility within 15 months of its last inspection and as needed.

Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Hendersonville

• Hendersonville has a higher cost of living than other parts of Tennessee. The city’s cost of living is about 20% higher than the state average and nearly 8% higher than the national median. However, health care costs, which are among the highest financial concerns for aging adults, are almost 5% lower than the national average and 6.5% lower than the statewide median.
  • Tennessee ranked in Kiplinger’s top 10 tax-friendly states for retirees in 2021, and retirees in Hendersonville enjoy a low overall tax burden. There isn’t any state income tax, so Social Security and Railroad Retirement benefits aren’t taxed, nor is income from retirement plans, such as pensions and 401(k) plans. The state has the second-highest combined state and local sales-tax rate nationwide, but prescription drugs are exempt and groceries are taxed at a lower rate.
  • Hendersonville’s overall climate is mild with 211 sunny days annually. The city receives a higher-than-average amount of rainfall each year, but it only averages 3 inches of snow. January is the snowiest month with just over an inch. July is the hottest month with an average high temperature of about 89 degrees, and although it’s the most humid month, humidity remains low most of the year.
  • The violent crime rate in Hendersonville is half the national rate. Property crime is also quite a bit lower, making it a relatively safe city for seniors. Violent crime in Hendersonville rates 11.3, while the nation as a whole rates 22.7. When it comes to property crime, Hendersonville was rated 24.9 compared to the national rate of 35.4.

• Seniors in Hendersonville and Sumner County have several transportation options to help them get to their appointments, shop and complete other errands. Community Life Ride in Hendersonville takes seniors aged 60 and over throughout the city.
  • Hendersonville has its own hospital, TriStar Hendersonville Medical Center, which was ranked as high performing in treating COPD. The city’s proximity to Nashville also means it isn’t far from top-ranked Vanderbilt University Medical Center, which was nationally ranked in nine adult specialties and rated high performing in four more adult specialties and 16 procedures or conditions.

Paying for Assisted Living in Hendersonville

According to the Genworth 2020 Cost of Care Survey, the average cost of assisted living in Hendersonville is $3,720 per month, which is over $300 less than the Tennessee median and nearly $600 lower than the national average.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

Despite Hendersonville’s higher cost of living, the average cost of assisted living is lower than both the state and national averages, as well as many nearby cities. While the average cost in Jackson is $53 lower, Hendersonville beats Knoxville, Memphis and Chattanooga. Its costs are lower than these cities by $180, $671 and $795, respectively.

$3720

Memphis

$4515

Chattanooga

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

While assisted living may be right for some seniors, others may want to explore other living options based on their care needs. The lowest cost option is adult day health care, which averages $1,788 per month. For those wanting to age in place in their own homes, the average cost of homemaker and home health aide services is $4,185 monthly. Seniors who require round-the-clock nursing care may require a nursing home facility, which is the most expensive option. Semiprivate rooms have an average monthly cost of $7,270 in Hendersonville, and private rooms cost $7,908.

$4185

Adult Day Health Care

$3720

Assisted Living Facility

$7270

Nursing Home Facility (semiprivate room)

$7908

Nursing Home Facility (private room)

Note: Data for Hendersonville was unavailable, so data for the nearest city, Nashville, was used instead.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Hendersonville

The TennCare CHOICES program, part of the Tennessee Medicaid program, can help qualified seniors pay for the cost of assisted living in Hendersonville. Seniors must already be on Medicaid to qualify.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Tennessee page.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Hendersonville

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Tennessee page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in Hendersonville

Seniors in Hendersonville have access to various free resources that can provide extra assistance to help them remain as independent as possible. These resources include government agencies and nonprofit organizations focused on helping seniors in the community lead healthy lives by providing an array of helpful services.

ResourceContact Services
Greater Nashville Area Agencies on Aging and Disability(615) 862-8828The Greater Nashville AAAD provides leadership and guidance to older adults and those with disabilities to promote health, dignity and independence. It offers various community and in-home services and strives to protect seniors’ rights. Services include the Collaborative Response to Elder and Vulnerable Adult Abuse program, health promotion and disease prevention program, information and assistance services, the Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program, nutrition services,  the Staying Active and Independent for Life program and transportation assistance.
State Long-Term Care Ombudsman(615) 253-5412 or 877-236-0013Tennessee’s LTC Ombudsman listens to residents’ concerns about their situations or other personal issues. The ombudsman assists in resolving these concerns and explains residents’ rights and responsibilities. This program is designed for elderly residents in all types of long-term living facilities, including assisted living facilities, and advocates for appropriate solutions to problems.
AgeWell Middle Tennessee  (615) 353-4235Formerly called the Council of Aging of Middle Tennessee, AgeWell’s initiatives include affordable, assisted transportation, caregiver support, home-sharing and scam and elder abuse prevention. AgeWell is a trusted information and referral hub for all seniors and ensures helpful information, support and resources are readily available and easily accessible.
Senior Citizens Center of Hendersonville (615) 822-8758The Senior Citizens Center of Hendersonville offers a place for adults aged 50 or older to be active and socialize together. It has programs and activities to suit nearly every interest. Common activities include dances, exercise programs, educational programs, arts and crafts, recreational activities, potluck lunches, holiday parties, trips and outings. It also offers various health awareness programs, including health fairs, hearing testing, vision testing, Glaucoma screening, blood pressure monitoring, flu shots and Reiki sessions.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Hendersonville

Hendersonville-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Tennessee are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Tennessee page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Hendersonville