10 Assisted Living Facilities near Anderson, SC
With an average cost of $3,261 in Anderson, it’s often difficult to find assisted living communities that provide high-quality care at an affordable price. At Caring.com, our mission is to make this process as smooth and painless as possible, and we’ve helped many families along the way.
This guide provides everything you need to quickly compare communities and narrow your search, including 51 unique reviews from residents and our comprehensive database that gives pricing, amenity information, photos and more on the 6 facilities in Anderson.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Anderson, SC
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Anderson
Anderson is the county seat of Anderson County, near the northwest corner of South Carolina. It's known for its high quality of life and was named as an All-America City in 2000 by the National Civic League. Senior citizens in the Anderson area looking for a residential community where they can live and receive assistance with personal care and activities of daily living will find 38 assisted living facilities, including six in Anderson itself. These facilities are regulated by the Department of Health and Environmental Control, which refers to them as community residential care facilities.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Anderson
- Anderson’s climate is characterized by hot, humid summers and cool, dry winters. The overall comfort level of this city is 70 on a scale of 1 to 100, based on its humidity and the number of days with temperatures in the 70s. Seniors will generally find outdoor activities comfortable in Anderson except in the middle of summer and winter.
- The overall cost of living in Anderson is 14 percent below the national average, so senior citizens on a budget should be able to afford living here. Groceries will be the biggest area of concern, as they cost about five percent more than average. Other than housing, transportation is the lowest expense for seniors at 10 percent below the national average.
- Anderson has a high overall crime rate, so senior citizens should be particularly careful in town. The annual rate of all crimes in this city is 53.88 per thousand people, compared to the average of 37.46 per thousand people for South Carolina. In comparison, the overall crime rate for the U.S. is 29 crimes per thousand people per year.
- Anderson runs its own bus service Monday through Friday, except for state holidays. The standard fare is very low to begin, and those 65 and over pay half of that. The buses can deviate from the regular routes by up to 0.75 miles for pickups and drop-offs.
- The Senior Citizen's Program in Anderson County offers a variety of recreational and social activities for seniors 55 and older. This program includes many types of fitness classes, which are held in community centers throughout the county. The Jo Brown Senior Center in downtown Anderson hosts other activities such as card games, arts and crafts, and hobbies.
- The Anderson area is home to world-class medical facilities, including AnMed Health Medical Center and AnMed Hospital South, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Anderson
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in South Carolina
Assisted Living costs in Anderson start around $3,261 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Anderson and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Anderson
The Medicaid waiver program used for assisted living in South Carolina is called the Community Choices Waiver. This program also provides seniors who would otherwise need a nursing home with related services such as assistance with daily living activities.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in South Carolina page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in South Carolina page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Anderson
Anderson and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Anderson, please visit our Assisted Living in South Carolina page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Anderson
Anderson-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in South Carolina are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in South Carolina page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Anderson, SC
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Anderson
Review of Garden House of Anderson
Garden House of Anderson was really good, but they were pricier than the others places. The staff was really nice and went out of their way. The place was really clean and roomy. It's overall a nic... Read more
Review of North Pointe
I like North Pointe. It's a very good facility, but it's pricier than what I wanted. The staff was excellent. They had very nice rooms, and they had a lot of very good activities inside the place. ... Read more
Review of Summit Place of Anderson
I love Summit Place of Anderson. It's beautiful, and they go out of their way. The lady is religious, and she actually prays with you; I really like her. It's just not in my father's price range. I... Read more