The 10 Best Assisted Living Facilities in Palmyra, PA for 2023
There are 16 Assisted Living Facilities in the Palmyra area, with 5 in Palmyra and 11 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Palmyra is $4,765 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,870. Cheaper nearby regions include Hershey with an average starting cost of $4,490.
To help you with your search, browse the 74 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Palmyra. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Palmyra 4.7 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Elizabethtown with an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 5 families in Palmyra find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Palmyra, call (855) 863-8283.
Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Palmyra, PA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Palmyra
The borough of Palmyra, which was established in 1760, is home to more than 7,500 people. The borough has a large senior community, which comprises over 18 percent of the total population. While this community is small, it still affords seniors plenty of assisted living options. There are three assisted living facilities within Palmyra and another 26 nearby for seniors who want more options.
In Palmyra, as in all of the state, assisted living facilities are classified into two categories depending on the care they are licensed to provide. Assisted living residences, which provide supplemental health services along with assisted living services, are licensed by the Department of Aging, Office of Long-Term Living, Division of Licensing. Personal care homes, which are for seniors who do not require supplemental health services, are licensed by the Department of Public Welfare, Adult Residential Licensing.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Palmyra
- The overall cost of living in Palmyra is on par with the national average. However, seniors can expect to spend about 15 percent more on medical expenses, which may be a consideration for those with chronic conditions.
- Palmyra's summers are warm, rainy and humid, and winters are cold, which may be a consideration for seniors who prefer a mild climate. Over the course of the year, temperatures range from 23 degrees to 85 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lebanon County's air quality is very poor, receiving an F for ozone pollution and an F for short-term particle pollution from the American Lung Association. Poor air quality can negatively affect seniors who suffer from diseases like lung cancer, COPD or cardiovascular disease.
- Pennsylvania exempts all income from retirement accounts and Social Security, as well as income from pensions for those over 60. This may let seniors put more money toward assisted living.
- The overall crime rate in Palmyra is 42 percent lower than the nationwide average, making the city safer than 49 percent of other U.S. cities. This safe community is well-suited for seniors who enjoy being out alone.
- The Palmyra area has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Hershey.
Paying for Assisted Living in Palmyra
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Pennsylvania
Assisted Living costs in Palmyra start around $4,765 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Palmyra and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Palmyra
While Pennsylvania does not cover services in assisted living facilities through either Medicaid or Medicaid waivers, the state does add money to the federal Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefit. This money can be put toward assisted living expenses.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Palmyra
Palmyra and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Palmyra, please visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Palmyra
Palmyra-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Pennsylvania are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Palmyra
Review of Palmyra Senior Living
Having seen firsthand the wonderful experiences my aunt has had here, it’s no wonder they’ve been recognized with awards. The quality of care they offer is truly exceptional. Read more
Review of Palmyra Senior Living
I'm from out of state and while visiting my friend, we went to see her mother who lives at PSL. From the moment we got there, I was very pleasantly surprised. The staff was so welcoming and the w... Read more
Review of Traditions of Hershey
I took a tour of Traditions Of Hershey in hopes of finding a place for my Mom. What a beautiful facility it is. Rooms were spacious enough and very clean. The staff was so helpful in answering any ... Read more