23 Assisted Living Facilities near Middletown, PA
There are 23 Assisted Living Facilities in the Middletown area, with 2 in Middletown and 21 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 101 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Middletown. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Middletown 4.4 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Elizabethtown with an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Middletown, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Middletown, PA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Middletown
Middletown, Pennsylvania, was originally settled by William Penn in 1960, but the town played a part in the Revolutionary War, and seniors interested in history can visit some of the area's historical sites. For its almost 20 percent senior population, Middletown has two assisted living facilities. There are an additional 20 facilities in nearby communities like Harrisburg and Hershey.
In Pennsylvania, assisted living facilities are called either assisted living residences or adult care homes, depending on the level of care the facility provides. Assisted living residences are licensed by the Department of Aging, and adult care homes are licensed by the state's Department of Public Welfare.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Middletown
- Middletown is located in Dauphin County, which receives low ratings from the American Lung Association when it comes to air quality. The county got a D rating for both ozone and particle pollution rates, making the air less than ideal for seniors with respiratory conditions.
- Pennsylvania is a tax-friendly state for seniors because retirement income for Social Security, 401(k)s, IRAs and pensions aren't taxed. Sales tax rates are also some of the lowest in the United States, which translates to more money left in the budget.
- The Middletown area is home to world-class medical facilities, including UPMC Pinnacle, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Middletown has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Middletown Senior Center, an organization that helps connects seniors with like-minded individuals for fellowship and facilitates activities throughout the year.
- Middletown is serviced by the Capital Area Transit system, which helps seniors get around town. Seniors aged 65 years or older can ride the bus system for free along fixed routes.
- The weather in Middletown can be a challenge, especially for seniors who like to take advantage of outdoor activities. Summer highs only get into the mid 70s, and winter highs run around the freezing mark.
Note: Data on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Middletown
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Pennsylvania
Assisted Living costs in Middletown start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Middletown and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Middletown
The state of Pennsylvania does not offer any type of Medicaid assistance to help pay for assisted living, but seniors may qualify for Supplemental Social Security Income.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Middletown
Middletown and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Middletown, please visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Middletown
Middletown-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Pennsylvania are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Middletown, PA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Middletown
Review of Frey Village
My brother is in Frey Village. It is a little bit more down to earth. It is not as fancy as the other one, it is more like Pennsylvania home cooking with stews and soups; they're all good but not a... Read more
Review of The Middletown Home
We visited The Middletown Home. I like the building itself, the people that were in there, and the cleanliness of the place. Everything was clean. Comparing it to other places, they have a signific... Read more
Review of Frey Village
Frey Village was a continuing care community with independent, assisted, nursing home, and a small Alzheimer’s unit as well. The rooms were like small apartments that range from efficiency size up ... Read more