Harrisburg is a family-friendly community that’s been ranked as one of the nation’s most livable cities and best places to retire. Pennsylvania’s state capital is home to 49,271 residents, including 5,100 seniors. Local families have easy access to popular attractions like Hersheypark. The area is home to several nationally ranked and high-performing medical centers as well as a number of nursing homes and long-term care providers.

Skilled nursing facilities cater to individuals who have advanced medical needs and require specialized rehabilitative services. Many of these services are available in assisted living facilities or through home health care agencies on a more limited basis. These alternatives may be appropriate for individuals who don’t need 24-hour monitoring and can live independently most of the time. They cost about half as much as the $10,311 charged by local nursing homes.

In this guide, you’ll find information about average nursing home costs, local providers and community resources that can help you find the most appropriate type of care for your needs.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Harrisburg, PA

Campus of the Jewish Home of Greater Harrisburg

4000 Linglestown Road, Harrisburg, PA, 17112

We toured The Campus of the Jewish Home of Greater Harrisburg. We only met with one person, but the receptionist when you came in was very, very nice. We had to sign in and take our temperature, and t … (read more)

Spring Creek Rehabilitation and Health Care Center

1205 South 28th Street, Harrisburg, PA, 17111

My mom is in Spring Creek Rehabilitation and Health Care Center. She is not happy there. The people are fairly nice, but she has had some negative interactions with one or two members of the staff and … (read more)

Colonial Park Care Center

800 King Russ Road, Harrisburg, PA, 17109

I was very disappointed with this facility. My poor, now deceased mother did not receive the quality of care she needed or deserved. They seem to care more about money than patient care. The fo … (read more)

Homeland Center

1901 North Fifth Street, Harrisburg, PA, 17102

Homeland Center was horrendous. It was dingy and very dark, and first impressions were very unfavorable. The facility section that my dad would have been in was one hallway. The room he would have bee … (read more)

Golden Livingcenter – Blue Ridge Mountain

3625 NORTH PROGRESS AVE, Harrisburg, PA, 17110

I was at Golden LivingCenter for eight days. The staff was courteous, but they didn’t have enough help and had a lot of really old people. The room that I was in for rehab was not well kept, and the … (read more)

2020

Messiah Lifeways

100 Mount Allen Road, Mechanicsburg, PA, 17055

My husband moved into Messiah Lifeways. It’s a very caring place. The care that he’s gotten has been personal and good. In the nursing facility, there’s a lot of attention given to the individual, and … (read more)

Oak Hill Village

1020 N. Union Street, Middletown, PA, 17057

Frey Village was great. I had a very good tour and the two women, who were my tour guides, were wonderful. They took care of all my questions. So, everything was great. They have apartments, so if I … (read more)

Penn State Health Rehabilitation Hospital

1135 Old West Chocolate Ave, Hummelstown, PA, 17036

Penn State Health Rehabilitation Hospital was a really fantastic rehab community. It’s an acute care place and I went there straight from the hospital. It’s not as fancy inside as the other places I h … (read more)

VibraLife – Mechanicsburg

707 Shepherdstown Road, Mechanicsburg, PA, 17055

My mom is at VibraLife – Mechanicsburg. It’s a fairly new facility. The nurse-to-patient ratio is very good. It’s a good number. They have COVID in the building, so now the patients are in their rooms … (read more)

The Middletown Home

999 West Harrisburg Pike, Middletown, PA, 17057

I liked the Middletown Home. They had a nice, beautiful outdoor courtyard that they just built. They have a beautiful chapel and they have a beautiful dining room. It’s just a lot more beautiful than … (read more)

Kinkora Pythian Home

25 COVE ROAD, Duncannon, PA, 17020

My dad was at Kinkora Pythian Home for rehab. It was a good experience considering the time that we were in and the shortage of staff. We don’t have any real complaints other than when you go to a reh … (read more)

Golden Livingcenter – Camp Hill

46 Erford Road, Camp Hill, PA, 17011

My mother is in The Gardens at Camp Hill. I haven’t been able to see it as of yet. My interaction with the staff has been good. They made time for me to video chat with my mother. She seems to be gett … (read more)

Manorcare Health Services-camp Hill

1700 MARKET STREET, Camp Hill, PA, 17011

My mom has been a resident in the Arcadia unit since the beginning of 2020. My family is so relieved to know that she receives excellent care from the kind and caring staff. Everyone knows the resid … (read more)

Meadows At West Shore For Nursing And Rehab Llc

770 Poplar Church Road, Camp Hill, PA, 17011

My mother was at Golden Living for 2 years and the stories are horrendous. Needless to say, I had to take her out due to her face being scratched and no one was available to tell me how it happened. S … (read more)

Fox Subacute at Mechanicsburg

120 South Filbert St, Mechanicsburg, PA, 17055

Bethany Village Retirement Center

5225 Wilson Lane, Mechanicsburg, PA, 17055

Vibra Rehabilitation Center

707 Sheperdstown Rd, Mechanicsburg, PA, 17055

Nursing Home Costs in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

Nursing home prices in Harrisburg start at $10,311 for a semiprivate room and rise to $10,874 for private accommodations.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

According to data from the Genworth Cost of Care Survey 2020, nursing home costs in Harrisburg are within 3% of the state median of $10,038 and about 30% higher than the national average of $7,756. However, rates are typical for this part of the state. Seniors in York pay $10,291 for nursing home care, about $250 less per month. Rates in Lebanon are $335 higher at $10,646, and nursing home prices in Lancaster and Chambersburg exceed $11,200 per month, which is about 10% more expensive than Harrisburg.

$10311

York

$11338

Chambersburg

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

With rates between $10,311 and $10,874 for semiprivate or private accommodations, skilled nursing is the most expensive form of long-term care in Harrisburg by a significant margin. Assisted living facilities cost half as much at $4,857. Home health care agencies charge slightly less. In general, Harrisburg residents can expect to pay anywhere from $4,528 to $4,576 for in-home care depending on the services provided. Adult day health care costs $1,018 per month and provides limited personal support rather than around-the-clock assistance.

$4528

Adult day health care

$4857

Assisted living

$10311

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$10874

Nursing home (private room)

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

Free Resources for Seniors in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

Local organizations can help families find long-term care and access community-based services before the need for institutional support arises. Learn more about some of the resources available to seniors in Harrisburg.

ResourceContactService
Dauphin County Area Agency on Aging(717) 780-6130Part of a nationwide care network that includes more than 650 agencies, this organization provides information, referrals and services to help seniors maintain their dignity and independence and make informed decisions about their long-term care and personal needs. It publishes a 100-page senior resource guide, assists with Medicaid waiver applications and helps eligible individuals qualify for state-sponsored long-term care benefits. Services are free to residents age 60 or older and their caregivers.
Pennsylvania’s Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program(717) 783-8975The long-term care ombudsman empowers residents of nursing homes, assisted living facilities and residential care homes by helping them understand their rights and communicate effectively with providers. Its ombudsmen and Pennsylvania Empowered Expert Residents (PEER) advocates provide confidential one-on-one advice to nursing home residents and families who have questions or concerns.
MidPenn Legal Services(800) 326-9177This nonprofit law firm handles more than 3,000 cases annually for low-income residents in Harrisburg and 18 counties across central Pennsylvania. It focuses on civil legal issues, such as taxpayer assistance, public benefit claims, estate planning, health care access and disability rights. Additional services are available through the SeniorLAW Center by calling the statewide helpline at (877) 727-7529.
Jewish Family Service of Greater Harrisburg(717) 233-1681JFS of Greater Harrisburg has been serving residents of all faiths since 1964. It offers a variety of counseling and mental health services for older adults and caregivers. Brief solution-focused sessions help residents cope with anxiety, depression and decision-making challenges that may arise when dealing with health concerns, loneliness, isolation or grief. It also operates the Finkelstein Cohen Kosher Meals on Wheels Program, which serves seniors with special dietary needs across the Harrisburg area.