11 Assisted Living Facilities near Springfield, OH
There are 11 Assisted Living Facilities in the Springfield area, with 8 in Springfield and 3 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Springfield is $3,206 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,465. Cheaper nearby regions include Urbana with an average starting cost of $2,160.
To help you with your search, browse the 38 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Springfield. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Springfield 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Urbana with an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 5 families in Springfield find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Springfield, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Springfield, OH
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Springfield
There are lots of things to do in Springfield, Ohio, between the Hartman Rock Garden, Mad River Gorge and Nature Preserve and the many area museums, all of which may be of interest to the city's 9,285 seniors. For those seniors who require facility care, there are eight assisted living facilities in the city, with another three located in the surrounding communities. In Springfield, as in all of Ohio, Residential Care Facilities (RCFs) are licensed by the Ohio Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Springfield
- Ohio does not tax Social Security benefits, but fully taxes retirement savings account income and partially taxes pensions. Springfield seniors living on pensions or social security might find that these tax breaks result in more money to allocate toward their expenses.
- The Clark County Veterans Service Commission operates two vans in the Springfield area that are used to transport veterans to and from the Dayton VA Medical Center. Additionally, Springfield City Area Transit (SCAT) provides public bus transportation throughout Springfield. Seniors age 65 and older qualify for reduced fares, making the bus system a cost-effective mode of transportation for low-income seniors.
- Springfield's cost of living is 73.8, more than 20 points lower than the national average of 100. Seniors can also expect to pay less for transportation, healthcare, and groceries in the area, which might make the city a good fit for seniors with low or fixed incomes.
- Springfield has a violent crime rate of 35.4 and a property crime rate of 93.6, both significantly higher than the U.S. averages of 22.7 and 35.4, respectively. Seniors in assisted living facilities are generally protected by security systems and safeguards.
- Springfield winters are cold with lows of 18 degrees and an annual snowfall of 19 inches. Seniors who like warmer weather might not enjoy living in Springfield.
- Springfield has poor air quality. On a scale where 100 represents the areas with the best air quality, Springfield has a rank of 50, eight points below the U.S. average of 58. The city might not be an ideal location for seniors with asthma or COPD.
Paying for Assisted Living in Springfield
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Ohio
Assisted Living costs in Springfield start around $3,206 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Springfield and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Springfield
Springfield seniors who need help paying for the expenses of living in an assisted living community have two options: Ohio's Medicaid Waiver program and supplemental SSI payments.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Springfield
Springfield and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Springfield, please visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Springfield
Springfield-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Ohio are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Springfield, OH
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Springfield
Review of Forest Glen Health Campus
I visited Forest Glen Health on a Sunday. It didn't seem like there was much interaction between the aides and residents. It was nice and clean. The staff was very nice and showed us what we wanted... Read more
Review of Brookdale Buck Creek
Brookdale Buck Creek is a fairly new and smaller community, but it's very nice and clean. The rooms were also smaller than her current room. We saw that they had a TV area for the seniors, but ther... Read more
Review of Forest Glen Health Campus
My relative was in Forest Glen Health Campus. Her room was kind of small and looked just like a hospital room. They have activities like Bingo, art, and reading; they had a lot. She also didn't car... Read more