The 5 Best Assisted Living Facilities in Urbana, OH for 2023
Also serving communities of West Liberty, Bellefontaine.
There are 9 Assisted Living Facilities in the Urbana area, with 2 in Urbana and 7 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Urbana is $2,857 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,860.
To help you with your search, browse the 40 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Urbana. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Urbana 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Marysville with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Urbana, call (855) 863-8283.
Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in Urbana, OH
Hearth and Home at Urbana
Brookdale Buck Creek
Northwood Assisted Living
Springfield Assisted Living
Forest Glen Health Campus
Wooded Glen Health Campus
Hearth & Home at El Camino
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Urbana
Urbana is a city located in the west-central region of Ohio. It is home to Urbana University, a 170-year-old university that has a 1,500-seat stadium where sports lovers of all ages can enjoy watching basketball and volleyball games. While Urbana has a relatively young population, it also has a large senior community that accounts for nearly 18% of its 11,000 residents.
Seniors in Urbana have two local assisted living facilities to choose from, and there are six more in the neighboring city of Springfield. These facilities, which may also be called residential care facilities, are governed by the Ohio Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Urbana
- While retirement income from pensions and retirement savings accounts are taxed at the state level in Ohio for seniors whose income is over a certain amount, taxpayers aged 65 and over can claim tax credits to offset this expense. Social Security benefits are not taxed, which may leave more money in the budget for assisted living in Urbana.
- Urbana is a very affordable place to live with an overall cost of living that is 20% below the national average and 7% below the state average. Housing is especially affordable here, which may result in lower assisted living costs.
- Over the course of a year, temperatures in Urbana range between 19 and 85 degrees, making it one of the warmer cities in Ohio. It has an average of five months annually where temperatures are in the 70-85 degree range, which may make it a good option for seniors who enjoy being outdoors.
- While property crime in Urbana is considerably higher than the national average, ranking 51.3 on a 100-point scale versus the national average of 35.4, its violent crime rate is very low, coming in about 10 points below the national average at 12.5. Even so, as they're touring assisted living facilities, seniors may want to ask what security measures are in place.
- The Urbana area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Mercy Health Urbana Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Public transportation for seniors in Urbana is provided by the Champaign County Transit System.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Urbana
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Ohio
Assisted Living costs in Urbana start around $2,857 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Urbana and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Urbana
Urbana seniors who meet income and asset guidelines may have assisted living services covered by one of Ohio's two Medicaid waivers, including the 1915(c) Assisted Living Program and the 1915 (b)(c) Managed Care Demonstration Waiver. The Residential State Supplement program may also help some seniors pay for services.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Urbana
Urbana and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Urbana, please visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Urbana
Urbana-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Ohio are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Urbana, OH
Other Options in Urbana, OH
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Urbana
Review of Urbana Place
I went to Urbana Place. The place looks nice and clean. I talked to a few of the tenants. I visited the place twice, as a matter of fact. The first time was later in the afternoon, and some of the ... Read more
Review of Urbana Place
I like that Urbana Place was a lock-down facility, and they didn't have to wear an ankle band or a bracelet. The dining area was very nice, I had gotten there around supper time and it had several ... Read more
Review of Urbana Place
My mom has been at Urbana Place for 5 years. I did not think she would live long when she went in because she had lost so much weight and was falling at home a lot. She has gained a healthy weight ... Read more
11 Signs It Might Be Time for Assisted Living
The decision to help an aging adult move out of a current home is a complex one -- both emotionally and practically. Above all, you want the person to be safe and well. How can you all feel more co...
Nursing Home, Assisted Living, or Independent Living?
The first step to finding the best senior housing for your loved one is to understand what type of care facility is the best fit. There are six main types of residential elder care options: _[Inde...
- Assisted Living or In-Home Care?
- Assisted Living Checklist: What to Look for, What to Ask
- Cost of Assisted Living
How to Pay for Assisted Living
As you're weighing senior care options for your loved one, cost is likely a top factor. The good news? Depending on what care your loved one needs, assisted living can be much more affordable than ...
How Levels of Care Affect Assisted Living Cost
If you're shopping for assisted living, you'll need to familiarize yourself with the levels of care, as the monthly rate for assisted living will depend on the level of care that the resident requi...
- Tips on Moving to Assisted Living