92 Assisted Living Facilities near Owosso, MI
There are 92 Assisted Living Facilities in the Owosso area, with 4 in Owosso and 88 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 333 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Owosso. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Owosso 4.9 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Flushing with an average rating of 4.9 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Owosso, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Owosso, MI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Owosso
Owosso is home to the annual Curwood Festival, which celebrates the life of novelist James Oliver Curwood who lived at Curwood Castle in town. Seniors can make their own special place to call home in one the 56 assisted living facilities in the Owosso area. There are three in Owosso alone to support its senior population of 14.5 percent.
The Department of Human Services regulates assisted living in Michigan, including homes for the aged and adult foster care. These facilities provide help with daily living activities such as hygiene, eating and grooming.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Owosso
Owosso is in Shiawassee County on the eastern side of Owosso Township. Snow typically falls from October to April in Owosso, so seniors may need to curtail outdoor activities during this period. December has the heaviest snowfall in this area, with an average of 11.1 inches.
- The cost of living in Owosso is relatively low, at about 80 percent of the national average. Housing is particularly inexpensive, at 41 percent of the national average, but healthcare is five percent higher than the national average. Seniors shouldn't notice much of a difference in their cost compared to most other cities.
- The overall crime rate in Owosso is high, since only 17 percent of all cities in the United States have a higher crime rate. The annual crime rate in Owosso is 31.08 per thousand people, which is significantly higher than the annual rate of 23.69 per thousand for Michigan. Seniors going on day trips or running errands should therefore use greater caution in Owosso.
- The Shiawassee Area Transportation Agency provides public transportation in Owosso and nearby cities, including Corunna, Durand, Vernon, Perry and Morrice. All county residents receive curb-to-curb service within the county. The standard fare for trips within Owosso is $3 and $1.50 for seniors 60 and up.
- The Shiawassees Council on Aging sponsors senior centers for towns in the county, including Owosso. The senior center in Owosso maintains a full calendar of events, including lunch. Additional activities include exercise classes, card games and health services.
- The Owosso area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Memorial Healthcare, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Owosso
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Michigan
Assisted Living costs in Owosso start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Owosso and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Owosso
Michigan provides many personal care services through its Medicaid State Plan, including homes for the aged. The state also provides an optional state supplement that limits room and board charges for recipients of supplemental security income, provided they reside in a home for the aged.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Owosso
Owosso and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Owosso, please visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Owosso
Owosso-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Michigan are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Owosso
Review of Welcome Home Assisted Living
Welcome Home Assisted Living is a warm cozy place. The new buildings are absolutely beautiful. All the rooms are private rooms with a bathroom. My grandpa loves it there. Anytime I come to visit th... Read more
Review of The Meadows
Meadows of Owosso is quite a new community and very well-staffed. There are four wings, one of which is a locked down memory care. It has a very wide, open meeting space in the middle with a firepl... Read more
Review of Welcome Home Assisted Living
My mom was a resident at Welcome Home. The caregivers treated her with dignity and respect. I couldn't ask for more! Read more