Burcham Hills

Reviews of Burcham Hills

Assisted Living Reviews for Burcham Hills

June 28, 2016

By Deloris666288

My friend and his wife have moved into Burcham Hills. I think it's very well-suited to their needs, and they seem quite content. The staff is very caring, making sure everyone is comfortable and having their needs met. The rooms are clean and generously sized. It was very impressive and good. They have gone from regular portions to half portions because they don't want to gain weight since there's so much food and it's so good. They have everything from condos to assisted living to memory care. My friend's wife has Alzheimer's, and it's working for them at this point, so that's nice, but if in the future it doesn't, she won't have to move to a different facility. They also have a rehabilitation program there. They have musical programs and animals visiting. A girl came in the memory care unit and played the piano, and people were singing because she was playing these old songs that they all knew, so it's very nice.

June 10, 2016

By Leslie208722

My parents are moving into Burcham Hills, a private non-profit. The reason we went with them is that they were the only ones that had a nice apartment-like setting with a bedroom and a living room. The other thing that Burcham Hills offered that the others didn't offer was we felt that the community was better for my father who is in a much better place than where my mother is at who needs memory care.

May 22, 2016

By MaureenUPLWC

My aunt is in Burcham Hills right now, which is a rehabilitation because she is undergoing therapy after her a stroke. She is doing so well. I don't have any complaints at all. They are wonderful and have therapy seven days a week. My aunt has an hour of physical therapy, an hour of occupational therapy, and an hour of speech therapy every day. They have a quilting class, bingo, and arts and crafts. I am very impressed with the dining room because they get a menu, so it’s not like everybody gets corned beef hash. They accommodate you no matter your situation. They have registered nurses and a doctor on staff all of the time, except when he switches with a nurse practitioner on Saturdays and Sundays. The staff and everybody is totally polite and caring. I don’t have anything negative to say at all.

December 13, 2015

By Izzy'sfriend

Overpriced. Poor communication between residents' families and Burcham. Do not follow up with assessments of residents. Good food. Good maintenance staff.

March 17, 2015

By Howard14

I had been to Burcham Hills quite a few times. I would say that was a very nice place, but it was at a higher price. They had a full assisted and partly assisted, so they had different levels of assistance. They had a lot of staff down from the hospital to home care. They also had a big rehab there. They had an indoor swimming pool. They took bus trips. They had full assistance, but it was about $1,500 a month more than what we could afford.

February 10, 2015

I love Burcham Hills. I have been to several places, but this one stood out, and I am overall pretty pleased with them. Mom said the food is excellent. Burcham is the best of all the facilities I have visited.

July 31, 2014

By msufan

Burcham Hills was very nice, elegant and large. They have a beautiful garden walkway which was very peaceful. They accommodate 60 people and there are different units on each floor. The staff appeared to be friendly.

December 22, 2012

By icemancometh

I visited Burcham Hills to see my brother who suffers from dementia and Alzheimer's disease. We decided to take him here as long as he is fit to live unassisted until he has to be taken to a more restricted place. He agreed it was the right choice and this facility actually has many different options for different levels of independent to fully assisted living arrangements. The common area is beautiful and a great place for old and new friends to come and meet each other. The facility is quiet but has opportunities for larger more exciting social events for the residents. Burcham Hills employees were also very accommodating and always very interested in the personal lives of the residents. There is privacy also in the apartment spaces. I found most amazing was the cultural crossover Burcham Hills tries to utilize and instill. From the food selections to the activities they try to do things that many people will enjoy and serve many options to select from. Whether it's the food or the activities there seems to be a lot of choices. I would recommend this facility to others.

October 17, 2012

By Joan7

I visited this facility many times over the course of several years. The facility is large which is good for its connections with local health facilities/hospitals when needed. The transit is good, too. It's size can sometimes give it an institutional feel. The staff is large which can be useful but difficult for residents who see so many different people. The large size is an asset because there are specialized care for folks with some diseases like Alzheimer's. I like the attempts to bring in things to interest residents like a large bird cage and visiting pets. I appreciated the way they worked with residents who had difficulty eating. Staff members treated residents with dignity even in situations that felt undignified like being spoon fed or having to wear a bib. The facility has more of a formal feel to it than a homey feel--like you are in a formal dining room rather than a cozy family room.

June 22, 2012

By kelly3

The staff at Burcham Hills is made up of a wonderful, caring group of people. They helped us with any problems we ever encountered at any time of day. They got to know my grandparents very well and they all were more than just employees of the place to my family. The building is beautiful and kept very well. They continue to construct and update it to be the best and most modern that it can be. Family events were never a problem to hold in their meeting rooms, as they accommodated so well for us. My grandparents got wonderful treatment, and actually ending up living in their condos and moving to their apartments. My grandmother also stayed in their rehabilitation center while recovering from heart surgery. I couldn't have asked for a better atmosphere to have my grandparents' spend their last few remaining years at. Burcham Hills really cares for their residents and residents' families.

May 02, 2012

By holt1978

The place appears to be somewhat clean at first glance, but I managed to spot 2 roaches in the room he was staying during our visit. The rooms are cramped, and they rely heavily on the patient to provide for themselves, in terms of entertainment. The staff was nice, so I'll give them that, I imagine working with belligerent old people all day long takes a toll, they appeared emotionless and efficient. There is no privacy in the rooms aside from a pull shade that's not set up at all in a decent fashion. In total, he was there for a month dealing with his infection, and I imagine it took a toll on him physically and emotionally. I didn't see too many people in the halls, it honestly felt like death was everywhere. I expected or hoped there would be at least people walking around promoting some form of exercise. The food looked horrible and I was told that it was tasteless. We brought him fast food, which probably wasn't the wisest idea, but I've honestly never seen anybody scarf down 3 burgers that fast. You could tell he was hungry.

April 19, 2012

By Portteu2

The facility is very nice. Its located in a secluded part of northern East Lansing, so it is a very safe area. We did not get a complete idea of the care that would be provided. For instance, they told us there is a nurse on staff 24/7 which is true. They did not tell us that she would not provide such basic services as listening to lungs of an asmatic patient, and would not necessarily respond when the caregiver would summon her for a nosebleed that wouldn't stop for my blind father. They stated a caregiver would respond with in five minutes when summoned...often it is ten and the last time I timed it it took 17 minutes. My father is blind and my mother has dementia...they really need the attention we were promised. My parents have both stated that the food is good and the staff is very friendly though. My only real qualm is the fact that the attention I feel they need is not being met in a timely manner.

January 09, 2012

By Reggio

I visited Burcham Hills and was moderately impressed. The facilities are somewhat new and the location in Troy is great. The rooms I saw were all very clean, the staff was veryu friendly and answered all of the questions I had. I did not get a chance to look at all the activities but from what I saw during my visit, they were somewhat limited. Ultimately this was the reason my loved ones and I decided against assisted living in a nursing home. The quality of your loved ones' stay will depend much on the staff and I was confident in their service, the volunteers being another story. The food being served was fresh and the staff was seamless with all the patients' dietary concerns. I would recommend this nursing home based upon the facilities and excellent staff, which I have not seen at all of the nursing homes I have visited.

Independent Living Reviews for Burcham Hills

Nursing Home Reviews for Burcham Hills

January 02, 2018

By Elder_care

While Burcham Hills is a great fit for many residents, it is not necessarily designed for memory care. The facility itself is quite elegant with good food and some very caring providers on staff. However, the care is designed for a "one size fits all" patient rather than the more personalized care that a facility such as Shine House in Haslett provides.

June 01, 2017

By kelly265788

My father was at Burcham Hills. The rooms were not very welcoming. I thought the food was good, but the staff members were not very attentive. I didn't feel like we were getting the attention that we needed. They were friendly when I spoke to them. The place appeared to be clean and well maintained.

February 25, 2015

Burcham Hills is very clean with pleasant furnishings. I do not see any patients sitting around in wheelchairs or anything. I have seen the residents interact with the aides when I went there, and my husband gets along really well with them. He is in a private room, and it is spacious. It has a hospital bed, a closet, and a bathroom. He likes the food really well, and he tells me all the time that it is very good. The facility does not have any odor. It has been around for 40 years. They have several dining areas.

June 26, 2014

My mother-in-law is at the rehab part of Burcham Hills. This facility is known to be a high-end facility. It's very clean and very new and modern. The staff that worked with her on a daily basis, from what we could tell, provided a very positive experience. The only problem that we had was that when it was time for her to be discharged, they discharged her with an inappropriate evaluation, and she was in a situation where within a month she had to be back in the hospital. It was an unsafe situation that they put her in.

February 29, 2012

By butterfly4

My grandma was a resident at Burcham Hills. She had fallen and hurt her wrists and hip. She needed more care than our family could give her. After she got out of the hospital she went to stay at Burcham Hills. Although she did not enjoy her stay very much, this was only because she is very independent, our family thought it was a very positive place. The staff was friendly and accommodating. The food seemed decent. The rooms were small, but they were clean and private which was nice. The other residents were friendly as well. I would say that though that the therapy took longer than expected. Both daily physical therapy and the estimated time she was supposed to be there took longer than originally thought. I don't know if this is common or if maybe this happened because there was not enough staff. When my grandma was doing physical therapy she was not one-on-one. It was always in a group which takes a longtime. But over all I was very happy with Burcham Hills. I would recommend to another family or friend.

September 30, 2011

By jlanedc

Burcham Hills is a wonderful community. From my experience the staff is professional and more importantly sincerely care about the residents. This being a for profit facility they do a great job keeping the facility in top condition. What really impressed me was the attention that is paid to nutrition. I have talked with numerous residents and never have I heard a complaint about the food. Every resident has the opportunity to work with a nutritionist that takes into consideration the needs of each resident. The community has a ton of activities to keep people engaged and active. As far as the staff is concerned they genuinely seem to care about each of the residents. That is the impression I left with after talking to many employees. When I asked 4 different employees about my family member that used to live there they each shared personal things about her. That was not unusual I found out, I was so shocked at the care they had for my family member that I inquired about others and they all knew lots of personal things that you would have to take time to learn. I would trust anyone I know to be cared for at this facility. Burcham hills is located in a very convenient location. Close to Michigan state university where they occasionally take the residents to different cultural events. Overall this is a great place with great people.

Costs for Burcham Hills

Photos of Burcham Hills

Services and Amenities of Burcham Hills

• Condos Townhomes

• Pets: All Pets Allowed

• Licenses: HFA
  • State Licenses: AH330236746

• About Burcham Hills

Located on 38 beautiful acres, Burcham Hills is the only retirement community in the greater Lansing area to offer a comprehensive continuum of care. Burcham Hills is a not-for-profit community licensed as a Home for the Aged and as a Skilled Nursing Facility that has been serving thousands of Lansing-area elders and their families since 1974.

We strive to create a home that places a premium on relationships and honors the unique life story of each individual. Elders and their families are encouraged to share in our community events, to volunteer and to join in the dialogue that places the decision-making closer to the elders and those closest to them.

Lansing’s only not-for-profit Life Plan Community (ccrcr) -- East Lansing location and beautiful 38-acre setting -- Own and operate transportation -- Accessibility to local transportation, including CATA -- On-site Wellness Center, Lab and Outpatient Therapy Clinic -- Physician Services including nurse practitioners -- Access to continuing healthcare: short-term rehab, long-term care and outpatient therapy -- Availability of extensive on-site ancillary services and amenities -- Condominium living option

Map of Burcham Hills