29 Assisted Living Facilities near East Lansing, MI
There are 29 Assisted Living Facilities in the East Lansing area, with 4 in East Lansing and 25 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in East Lansing is $4,632 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,400. Cheaper nearby regions include Okemos with an average starting cost of $3,389.
To help you with your search, browse the 125 reviews below for assisted living facilities in East Lansing. On average, consumers rate assisted living in East Lansing 3.8 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Okemos with an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in East Lansing, call (855) 863-8283.
4 Assisted Living Facilities in East Lansing, MI
25 Assisted Living Facilities near East Lansing, MI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in East Lansing
East Lansing is the home of Michigan State University and boasts more than 50 arts and cultural activities each year, no city income tax, and 4 mile trail for walking, running, biking, and observing nature.
East Lansing also features four assisted living communities. Nearby areas, such as Haslett, Holt and Lansing, offer a total of 33 more facilities from which seniors can choose. The state of Michigan refers to assisted living facilities as homes for the aged. These personal care communities assist people age 60 and older with daily tasks and medication administration.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in East Lansing
- East Lansing is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership "has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages," according to AARP.
- The climate in East Lansing scores a 48 out of 100 on the comfort index, partly due to cold, snowy winters. In January, the average low temperature is 13 degrees Fahrenheit. Residents see about 45 inches of snowfall per year, which could be an issue for seniors looking for warmer climates.
- The cost of living in East Lansing is higher than the average cost for Michigan, but it's lower than the national average. Groceries and utilities cost less than the state average, letting seniors save some money.
- Seniors in Michigan get a tax break, as they don't have to pay state income tax on money received from state or federal pensions or public retirement systems.
East Lansing's violent crime rate is about 20 out of 100 on the crime index, with 100 being the worst. This rate is lower than Michigan's average of 33 and the U.S. average of 31, making it a relatively safe place to live.
- East Lansing has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Prime Time Seniors' Program, which offers classes and programs for fitness, games, education and entertainment; Senior Dining Sites, a tri-county program offering meals and recreational programs; and Senior Project Fresh, which provides seniors with coupons for fresh produce from farmer's markets.
Paying for Assisted Living in East Lansing
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Michigan
Assisted Living costs in East Lansing start around $4,632 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in East Lansing and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in East Lansing
The MI Choice Waiver Program helps eligible seniors pay for personal care services within a residential setting. Michigan also offers an optional supplement to Social Security Income (SSI) recipients to help pay for room and board expenses at assisted living facilities.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in East Lansing
East Lansing and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in East Lansing, please visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in East Lansing
East Lansing-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Michigan are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in East Lansing, MI
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in East Lansing
Review of Burcham Hills
This was my first time in rehab, after a week in the hospital. The staff went out of thier way to make me feel comfortable and welcome. The rooms were kept very clean and the food was excellent. Read more
Review of The Willows at East Lansing
The Willows at East Lansing is a lovely building and facility. They were very helpful and looked like they gave very good care. I know the food is good because I'm familiar with their rehab facilit... Read more
Review of Burcham Hills
I really liked Burcham Hills. It's beautiful, very clean, homey, and friendly. The staff during the tour was very personalized, very kind, considerate, and thorough. The dining area was very nice a... Read more