11 Assisted Living Facilities near Mason, MI
Also serving communities of Dansville, Dansville, Leslie.
There are 11 Assisted Living Facilities in the Mason area, with 2 in Mason and 9 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Mason is $3,500 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,600. Cheaper nearby regions include Okemos with an average starting cost of $3,440.
To help you with your search, browse the 32 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Mason. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Mason 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Holt with an average rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Mason, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Mason, MI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Mason
In 1865, Mason was incorporated as a village and during the 19th century, Mason enjoyed being the center of Ingham County activity. While Lansing eventually became the state capital, Mason remained the Ingham County Seat.
Of Mason's 29,000 residents, 23 percent are 65 and over. These seniors may eventually need to look into assisted living facilities (ALFs). There are 32 in the Mason area, and they are regulated by the Michigan Bureau of Child and Adult Licensing, a division of the Department of Human Services. The State of Michigan defines ALFs as those that have 25 or more residents, aged 55 or older, needing assistance with daily tasks like bathing and grooming.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Mason
- Located in south-central Michigan south of Lansing, Mason has four distinct seasons, including warm, often humid summers and cold, snowy winters, both of which can be uncomfortable for some older people. The average high temperature in Mason is 30 degrees Fahrenheit in January and 82 degrees in July.
- Mason, Michigan has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Tri-County Office on Aging, an organization that provides meals on wheels, exercise programs and senior bus transportation, as well as a senior center.
- Crime is not nearly the problem in Mason that it is in many other parts of Michigan. The crime rate is 35 percent lower in Mason than the national average. However, this statistic bears watching as the city's crime rate has increased by 35 percent in recent years, so seniors should be cautious while running errands.
- The Mason, Michigan area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the Mason Family Health Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Getting around Mason is relatively easy. For seniors who drive, SR 127 cuts right through town. The Capital Area Transportation Authority (CATA) offers regular bus service within Mason and between Mason and Lansing. The system offers senior discounts to those riders age 62 and older, with a valid CATA card. In addition, the Michigan Smart Bus system offers curb-to-curb service to points within 10 miles with advanced reservations.
- Mason and the surrounding area are home to a number of events, cultural sites and museums. Chief among these are the Mason Area Historical Museum, the Robin performing arts theater and the Mason Antiques District. Of course, there are many more things to do in nearby Lansing. Most attractions and cultural events in Mason and Lansing offer senior discounts, although the qualifying age may vary.
Paying for Assisted Living in Mason
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Michigan
Assisted Living costs in Mason start around $3,500 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Mason and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Mason
Eligible seniors in Mason, Michigan can find financial assistance available from several state and federal programs, including the Medicaid State Plan, MI Choice and Supplemental Security Income Category G.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Mason
Mason and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Mason, please visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Mason
Mason-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Michigan are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Mason
Review of Craft Care Homes - Mason
My father was a resident of Craft Care Homes Mason. The rooms did not have en suite bathroom and that was a big issue for him. The clients that lived there were really quite a bit older and quite a... Read more
Review of Mason Country Care
Great place for your loved ones. Staff become family and the best care is addressed by needs and wants of each individual. Thanks for all you've done to make my mother's life pleasant. Read more