Independence Village of Grand Ledge

Reviews of Independence Village of Grand Ledge

Assisted Living Reviews for Independence Village of Grand Ledge

March 04, 2022

By Christine

I went to the Independence Village of Grand Ledge. I like that they were very friendly and accommodating, and they answered all my questions. They were very free, she was giving me a tour, and sharing menus and activity calendars. You could tell just from walking in that it was a comfortable, happy kind of atmosphere because the residents in the lobby were all very interactive. So it just told me that they were content to be where they were. A member of my party sampled the food, and they thought it was excellent. It was an upgrade from cafeteria-style. They served you at the table. It looked like they just recently did some updates, but the rooms that we saw were all very nicely done and up to date.

January 21, 2021

By Daughter Kathy

My dad has lived at Independence Village for a year and a half. He started out in an independent apartment, but needed more care and moved to an enhanced apartment after 4 months. The staff has been extraordinarily helpful, kind, and competent. I am grateful for all of the care Dad has received, including assistance from the director Holly. During the lock-down, the staff has gone out of their way to help us stay connected with our loved ones. We are grateful to them for everything they have done for Dad.

November 17, 2016

By Toni108134

The lobby area at Independence Village was very nice and open. The grounds are very nicely-kept, and they have a chef on-site. It's a very nice facility, but it is out of my price range.

June 28, 2016

By Cindy517067

My relative is at this relatively small assisted living facility. She has a furnished room and is very happy there. Everything seems to be working out well. She's getting the care she needs. It's close to our home and we're pleased with that. They have a walking club, cooking and baking sessions, musicians who come in occasionally to entertain the guests, and book clubs. She's happy with the food. She doesn't have any complaints whatsoever. She said everything is really good and the servings are really generous, so she's gone down to half portions which are adequate.

November 28, 2013

I found this place for my mom. The environment there is beautiful. It is nice and clean. The staff is just astronomical from the office staff to the nurses and nurses aides. Everyone there is really great. They take their time with the residents. They have activities for them all day. They have activities starting right after breakfast. My mom loves their everyday food. They just had a Thanksgiving dinner last night for the residents and their families and the food was great.

Independent Living Reviews for Independence Village of Grand Ledge

August 04, 2021

By MaryH

Mom moved there still independent but in 5 years and at 95 she isn’t now. The staff are SO good to her. She is now in a wheelchair and can’t hear well. They are like friends and not just caregivers. The whole place threw a vintage pool party that was spectacular. Staff made sure Mom got to it. She enjoyed and got her hands on a root beer float. Can’t say enough how lovely it was.

April 02, 2021

By TDP

My parents are at Independence Village of Grand Ledge. They are very accommodating in helping them to adjust to a different lifestyle. They've had people check on them, and they had a social committee that reached out to them to integrate them more into the facility. Overall, they are always checking up on us and seeing if our needs are being met, and it has been a really good experience. My mom has a restricted and soft diet, so it does not work out for her to eat very much, so food is not the biggest option for us. They have a lot of activities.

March 09, 2021

By Kallis

Very bright and welcoming community! I was able to visit during a Sunday brunch before the pandemic and it was fantastic! Live music, amazing food, and incredibly friendly staff. The activity calendar looked like there was always ample opportunities for fun, too!

February 24, 2021

By Red

I am currently at Independence Village of Grand Ledge. It's good. The staff is nice. As long as you are open and you tell them what you like and what the problem is, the food is fine. They offer several activities every day, which are available for everybody, and they let everybody know when they are going to be each week. They hand out a calendar to tell you when they're going to be and where. The #1 problem that I have here is getting someone to answer when I ask for help. They also should stop serving cold food, and they're serving a lot of fat and oily food.

Hello Red, Upon checking with the team, we can't seem to determine who you are, as no one seems to know a resident that goes by "Red." We love connecting with residents and families directly to eliminate any concerns as quickly as possible. When it comes to needing general help or having questions, please always connect with our Executive Director, Holly Ridenour. As for our meals, there are multiple breakfast options every day, six lunch entrees and five dinner entrees to choose from each day. We also encourage residents dining in their rooms to call the kitchen if they have any issues with their meal, and our team will address it on the spot. We have provided your feedback to our Regional Executive Chef, Jon Bastianelli. If you would like to speak with him directly, please call him. Thank you!

January 21, 2021

By Bethany W.

My parents chose Independence Village and took me to see it after they had put their name on the waiting list. I was impressed on the first visit by the friendliness of the staff: my folks hadn’t even moved in and were being treated so kindly and some of the staff even knew them by name! Since moving in about a year ago, they have been treated to visits by the snack cart, which is most always themed with matching themed snacks. It was recently National Cheese Day and the snack was cheese, complete with a Cheese hat to wear for pictures. These pictures that I get to see on Facebook help keep me connected to my parents daily lives, which is important since I live out of state. The level of caring the staff has for their residents is over and above what is necessary. I am thankful my parents have a community that cares and makes an effort to bring joy to them every day.

January 13, 2021

By Barb

I went to Independence Village of Grand Ledge. It's the one I liked the best. With COVID, you can't go to the facility. I saw one apartment, it was very good. There are a lot of people out front socializing and getting together in groups, which I thought was nice. I saw the independent apartments and it was very nice. It had a bedroom, plenty of storage, a nice kitchen, and a nice-sized living room. It's out in the country, so it's very nice. It's not overly convenient, but it's not out in the boonies either, so it's OK. The staff member was very nice, very pleasant, and very impressive. She was very helpful. They gave me a takeaway lunch, which was very good.

October 09, 2019

By Patricia

Independence Village of Grand Ledge was very nice, but a little pricey for me. I didn't rule it out because they have the graduated help if and when you need it. The apartments were very nice. The staff was very good.

October 06, 2019

By Mona T.

The apartments are very nice and well-maintained. The meals are very good with several choices and served in a beautiful dining room. Common areas are welcoming. This is a really lovely facility- very pleasant for residents and visitors. Most importantly, the staff- absolutely everyone we have encountered- has been kind and efficient.

October 04, 2019

By EFinn

They offer a variety of entertainment options. The food is wonderful they continuously find ways to improve the quality, options and service. The staff is very courteous and interact well with the residents as well as their families! The rooms, common areas and grounds are always in clean and free of clutter.

October 03, 2019

By 10Peggy

My Father moved to Independence Village in April 2019. Prior to this move, he was living by himself and having issues with falling. Independence Village offers spacious apartments, excellent meals and caring staff. I know a staff member will be checking in on my Father once a day. If he needs assistance with anything, there is someone there to help him. My Father enjoys playing cards and shooting pool with other residence. If he has an appointment or wants to go shopping there’s a shuttle to help him get there. He has laundry facilities down the hall from his apartment to wash his clothes. The facility takes care of washing his bed sheets once a week. Overall, I’m very pleased that my Father choose to move to Independence Village. I worry less about him now that I know he’s surrounded by caring people who can help him.

October 03, 2019

By fhaner

most residents are older and more needy than anticipated. Perhaps that is because more home care is available. Nevertheless, this is a good place for my dad. He is semi-independent and likes many of the activities and services. Staff is friendly and seems to care. Place is clean, smells good and food seems good (though old people complain about EVERYTHING).

October 02, 2019

By Buds daughter

The staff is very welcoming. I think having staff or residents meeting new residents, as they move in, would help in the transition to a new community. Then check back with the new resident, after a couple of days, just to make sure they are transitioning well. The apartments have a great floor plan, easy to adjust to. Having either a patio or balcony is a nice thing! It seems more homey and fresh air is a bonus. Dad really enjoys the exercise equipment! It is also so helpful when a staff member came to dad’s apartment with verbal and written information on housekeeping and linen services!

October 01, 2019

By Karlyn

Nice facility. Clean and comfortable. Friendly staff.

September 09, 2019

By Sal La

My mom moved into a one bedroom apartment just over three months ago. When our family researched living arrangements for her we didn’t have to look further! The village was clean no bad smells and has a very large inviting entry area with a fireplace. There is a library, cafe, activity room and dining room that resembles a cruise ship dining area. They use linen tablecloths and napkins and have friendly servers. The best part for my mom was she could have her small dog. My mom is totally independent still drives a little and can have her car there. The Village provides housecleaning, meals, flat laundry which are the very chores mom didn’t enjoy doing much anymore. She enjoys the bingo, dice, Zumba and drumming. They provide bus service free if needed. My mom feels safe here and enjoys the staff which are very friendly to each resident. Moms apartment is very roomy and feels very comfortable.The staff were very attentive to our families concerns and have made our mom feel as close to home as you can get.

September 09, 2019

By Chelf

I highly recommend Independence Village because of the staff and the activities. My mother did not want to move but after a couple of weeks, it became her home. She loved it there and because of that, it took a huge weight off my shoulders. She enjoyed the music and dancing and that she stayed busy. The food was outstanding. The residents order from a menu and every month, on a Sunday, they would have an incredible buffet, The staff is compassionate and caring. They honestly love their residents! My mother passed away a few months ago. Independence Village helped me through the most difficult time of my life. They were very supportive and I am eternally grateful. I miss everyone who works there and resides there. Thank you Independence Village of Grand Ledge.❤️ P.S. Someday I am going to live there.

August 24, 2019

By C.W.

We've chosen Independence of Grand Ledge. We've been very impressed with the staff members that we've met with, and their organization. The place is also very nice and clean. It seems like a good fit for her. They have studio rooms but we're going for their one-bedroom apartment. They have a walking club, a crafts club, and they do special dinners and trips where they take the residents out. You name it, they have it. One of the reasons we chose them was because of the staff member who accommodated us. She's so great. We will be taking our mother back there to sample a meal. We were a little concerned with the layout of the structure because it was too big, but we went back there today and understood the layout. It turned out to be perfect.

October 31, 2018

By Mary

My mother is in Independence Village of Grand Ledge. The rooms are excellent. The staff is really good. The dining area is really nice and is set up restaurant style. They have a library, beauty salon, and a recreation room where they have bingo and movies. They have a lot of activities like playing cards, games, and puzzles. It's a very nice place. The residents are nice too. Everybody's friendly.

Thank you so much for your review. We take pride in our community and try daily to let our residents know just how important they are to all of us.

July 26, 2018

By V.K.

Independence Village of Grand Ledge was a nice, very professional, and clean facility. The staff was pleasant and professional. They had spacious studios and apartments. I saw some people coloring and crocheting, and they showed me the menu and activities calendar for the month. They had activities throughout the day and in the evening.

November 27, 2017

By Linda

I visited Independence Village, and it was a very nice place, with very nice people. However, it was too large for my husband, and it had too many people. The apartments were very nice, the rooms were large, and with full size appliances. It would be nice for me.

November 13, 2017

By Joanne

Independence Village of Grand Ledge was a lovely place. My sister and I have seen the rooms there before and they're very nice. We wanted to show our friend this facility because it had such a nice atmosphere. The people were very friendly and we wanted her to see a facility that really does a lot for their residents. They have a lot of activities. The dining area was very pretty, very pleasant, and very warm. We can't say enough for Independence Village. We just really like it. We know several people that have been there too. It's very clean.

August 23, 2017

By David

Independence Village of Grand Ledge was very open, bright, and the layout was very nice. It had a grand room and apartments all around the main activity/dining room. The place was very clean. The staff was very polite and friendly. They seemed to have a lot of activities. They bring in a lot of caregivers, and the doctors come once a week.

July 17, 2017

By Sandra

I was impressed with Independence Village of Grand Ledge because it was more handicap-accessible than some of the other ones I saw. It was clean and new, and the hallways were very clean.

May 06, 2017

By Judy560345

We went to Independence Village twice, and we liked it very much. We liked the people, the atmosphere was great, and the building was well-kept. They had small storage units, which we were impressed with. It was a very nice atmosphere all the way around. There were a lot of activities, people were signing up for rides to their doctors, and they did a lot for the people. We met with the chef, it was a little higher class than other places in as far as meals were concerned, and we had a good time with that. They followed up very well.

Thank you Judy! We are so happy you loved your tour of Independence Village of Grand Ledge. We are pleased you enjoyed meeting Chef Amy as well. We really take pride in the employees in our company. We’d love you to join us at Independence Village of Grand Ledge for our Happy Hour on May 18th, at 3:00 PM. If you can make it, please RSVP at 517-627-7585. We hope to see you there!

June 10, 2016

By Amy158054

We visited Independence Village of Grand Ledge. It looked really nice, but we don't have the income to do it right now. The apartments were nice and had a nice living area. We saw the meeting room, a little patio area where they could go outside, a kitchen, and a meeting place to have music and activities.

March 13, 2016

By Marty14

I like Independence Village of Grand Ledge very much. The location is very convenient for my family. It is a beautiful facility, and I know they will take good care of me. I'm very anxious to start living in there. It appears to have all of the necessary conveniences and is across from Meijer’s, so I’m sure they will take us there for groceries and shopping. I was very happy with the beautiful lunch we had and all the facilities they offer.

September 03, 2015

By Jack O'hara

Our mother has been living at Independence Village for a number of years. I should have written this review a long time ago. The peace of mind we have with our mom living there is nothing I could ever put a price on. She was living alone for years and we finally got her to move in 2012. After she was there a couple weeks it was like she was a new person. I credit the activities and trips they host with getting our Mom to have fun again. Also, was surprised at how good the food was considering all of the things you hear about the industry. More than anything, the staff are just incredible. They treat our Mom as if she was their own. Overall, we have had such a great experience and cant imagine her being anywhere else.

September 22, 2014

By Carol95101750

Independence Village seems like a very nice place. I own my own home and I have a lady who comes in every week to help me, and the dining room is very large. It’s two buildings; one is for assisting living and one is for independent care. It’s very lovely. They have different sized rooms. They have studios, and every room above the first floor has a balcony that’s big enough to put chairs on so they can go outside, and they have their own kitchen. They do serve a continental breakfast, and they have an evening meal every night. They hire students from Grand Ledge to train them in serving and cooking dinner. They have activities daily, a hair salon inside, and they gave parties for them for their birthdays.

July 31, 2014

By LovelyLady17

We went to Independence Village. We don't like that place because it's too upscale, too expensive, not a warm place, and not friendly from what we could tell. They don't have that many meals that they cook. It's beautiful, real elegant, but they don't have that many activities for residents. It seemed to me the residents might even still be working-type people.

Hello, Thank you for touring Independence Village. We agree that our community is beautiful and elegant. We are surprised to hear you say that there didn’t seem to be activities going on. Our Life Enrichment Directors are required to have at least 6 activities each day which can range from fitness classes to cooking demos and everything in between. Concerning our culinary offerings, we have menus that change daily and have many entrees and sides to choose from. Please reach out to us if you have any additional questions by calling our main community number. Thank you.

Memory Care Reviews for Independence Village of Grand Ledge

November 04, 2019

By KJQ

Do NOT put your loved one in this facility. The employees that actually "care" for them are not skilled, lack knowledge needed to do so, act rude, tell them "you're not the only resident here, we're busy" walk in a room that's filthy and smells yet does nothing about it, you will have an additional full time job just keeping on them to DO THE RIGHT THING. ITS CALLED INTEGRITY. The so called balanced, nutritional meals are a joke.....a Sunday dinner was a hotdog and kettle chips. Only ketchup..... where's the nutritional value in that meal? No greens, no fruit, nothing nutritious in that what so ever. For what they pay to live there, food should be stellar. Huge disappointing, frustrating and very challenging experience. Research and go elsewhere.

Hello, Thank you for taking the time to work toward a resolution with us directly. We truly appreciate when our residents and their families meet with us to share their feedback with the goal of helping us improve. As an organization, we always want to find ways that we can grow to serve our residents and their families best. If you have any additional comments or concerns, please contact Andy Dorr. Thank you.

February 20, 2019

By Over Rated

This facility is absolutely beautiful! Inside and Out! But, that is not a reflection of the Care that was given to my family member. The cost is almost double of other facilities. There is one Nurse, scheduled 8-4, Monday thru Friday. This one nurse cover's all of Story Point, which is divided by the reception desk, in two resident housing area's. First of all they had no safety devices for our family member. We had to purchase the Wheel Chair/ Bed transferable alarm system. Our family member was given a item similar to the Medical Alert Button to where if assistance was needed. This button was not changed from the last patient to our family member for the time they were a resident at Story Point. The Resident Assistants we're asked to have this updated by myself several different visits. I myself pressed this button for Assistants for the resident. It did not work so I had to find a RA for assistance. My family member fell many times, we were called many times to come and help, as the RA'S could not manage our family member. They notified us they were not qualified to care for our family member until the last week of residency. I do have to say a large number of the RA'S we're very good at what they did. I believe they did what they could per the facility policies.

Hello, We are sorry that you seem dissatisfied with your experience at our community. We strive to offer the best quality care and thank you for acknowledging the incredible care staff on our team in Grand Ledge in your review. However, it does seem you had some misconceptions upon moving your loved one in, as we are a licensed assisted living and not a skilled nursing facility. Therefore, we do not have 24-hour nursing available. As you mentioned, we have very well-trained care staff that support the nurse in our community. Our technology has been recently updated and, as it is with any technology, we experienced some glitches. We are sorry this impacted your family and we have fully resolved these technical issues. We always appreciate feedback that makes us better and so we want to thank you for taking this opportunity to provide your thoughts. If you would like to address them in more detail, please contact our Vice President of Wellness, Rebecca Skandalaris at your convenience. Thank you.

November 26, 2018

By Cynthia

Independence Village of Grand Ledge was very nice and well-kept. It was set up very nicely and the staff seemed very friendly and accommodating. There were a lot of activities going on.

April 25, 2016

By Larry123745650

Independence Village was very nice. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It looked like a very nice facility, but of course it was expensive. I liked the double room that they showed me, which would work for both of my folks to live in. It looked very comfortable.

September 11, 2015

By BettyAnn2244

My husband and I visited StoryPoint this week for my mother-in-law and we were really impressed. All the staff knew every residents names when touring and it just felt like home. We are now looking at next steps of moving mom in, everyone has been helpful and supportive through this process.

September 08, 2015

By nofear0188

I finally feel like I can be a daughter again. My mother had been living with us for 2 years and we finally made the decision to this for her. Every time I visit the staff is wonderful and smiling. Everyone from the nurses to the helpers know the personal details of her life! One suggestion would be to send more frequent updates to the families. I get a good update when I call or visit but I always have to reach out first. Would love to get email updates. Overall very happy!

September 03, 2015

By Jack O'hara

StoryPoint has been a godsend for me and my family. Our mother has been living there for 2 months and has severe memory issues. To say we felt helpless with our situation would be an understatement. We love the care and cleanliness of the building. The staff at StoryPoint is one of a kind. I have never been around such caring people.

August 25, 2015

By unkept

Other

We would NOT recommend StoryPoint to anyone. My mother-in-law was put in a wheelchair and left there all day to sit. No one would come when she would push button for help. Food is terrible. For what the families are paying per month, there should be a world class chef cooking there. The same goes for Independence Village, food should be way better than it is. And if someone dies after they paid the rent for the month, don't count on getting any of it back to help with funeral costs, etc. They don't refund the money.

Thank you for providing feedback. We take your comments seriously and are disappointed to hear about your experience with our community. In regards to rent, we have to adequately staff our community ahead of time, which means we are limited when it comes to refunds. We would like to connect with you directly to further discuss your feedback and the opportunities we have for improvement. If you are interested in sharing more, please call the community and ask to speak with our Executive Director.

July 31, 2014

It is beautiful and brand new. However, I don't like it. They have so much change over. Since my mom has been there in nine months, they have three RNs and not they are looking for another one. Its pathetic nobody knows what the right hand is doing. Everything is corporate. They just make major changes. They decide to bring the patients to this side of the lock down unit and they say: "We are going to keep your mother on this side", with all the people who have their head pinned over their chairs and they don't talk. My mother still talks. They don’t have a house cleaning staff because they say they cannot hire a person until they are totally staffed, but they are making $4,000 per patient. I ask them water two or three times a day because she is now in a wheelchair because she fell there. They neglect, neglect, neglect, but you know what? She's still there because I have to deal with it. I just send them an email this morning saying in 21 days, they have walked her 9 times and they are supposed to walk her three times a day. Story Point has open for a year and they keep telling they have glitches. Well, glitches means they don’t even know how to train their staff on their iPad so when the next staff comes in nobody knows what happen to the first shift. Now, they are saying they are doing that, but I don’t know. I am so discouraged. However, it is not my first rodeo, it’s the third one she's been in and they are all alike.
See all Memory Care reviews (13) See fewer reviews

Costs for Independence Village of Grand Ledge

Photos of Independence Village of Grand Ledge

Services and Amenities of Independence Village of Grand Ledge

• Companion Suites: We Do Not Offer Companion Suites

• State Licenses: AH230342257 - Story Point of Grand Ledge

• Get Costs

About Independence Village of Grand Ledge

Welcome to Independence Village of Grand Ledge! This isn’t just a place to reside — it’s a place where our community members truly shine, and we are glad to share this experience with them. Our various senior living options include independent living, enhanced living, assisted living, and memory care. Throughout each service level, we strive to make every moment of every day something special. We know it’s the small details in life that make a difference. Every resident becomes a part of our family, and we work with each of them at their pace to create the experiences they want. Independence Village of Grand Ledge is a place where residents can truly Shine. Everyday.

I

ndependent Living

Independent living is designed for individuals who want the privacy of an apartment home with the added benefits senior living offers: meals, housekeeping, maintenance, transportation, activities, group outings, fitness programs, educational seminars and more.

Enhanced Living

A bridge between independent and assisted living, enhanced living is designed to promote the greatest level of independence for individuals who need a little extra help. It includes all the benefits of independent living plus the peace of mind that comes with affordable, custom personal care packages that can be tailored to individual needs.

Assisted Living

Assisted living provides a licensed environment for individuals requiring everyday assistance while promoting the greatest level of independence and privacy.

Memory Care

Designed for those with dementia or other memory impairments, memory care provides services in a licensed environment by specially trained professionals.

Community Amenities

• Pet-friendly • Cable • Meal Delivery Service Available • Additional Housekeeping Available • Gourmet Meals • Open Apartment Floor Plans • Wheelchair Accessibility • Living Spaces With Balconies And Private Patios • Exercises And Fitness Programs • Apartment Maintenance • Weekly Routine Linen Laundry Service • Beauty Salon/Barbershop • And More!

Map of Independence Village of Grand Ledge