20 Assisted Living Facilities near Okemos, MI
There are 20 Assisted Living Facilities in the Okemos area, with 3 in Okemos and 17 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Okemos is $3,389 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,400. Cheaper nearby regions include Haslett with an average starting cost of $2,698.
To help you with your search, browse the 79 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Okemos. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Okemos 4.5 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Dewitt with an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Okemos, call (855) 863-8283.
3 Assisted Living Facilities in Okemos, MI
17 Assisted Living Facilities near Okemos, MI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Okemos
Okemos, which is a suburb of Lansing, has been ranked among the best places to live in the nation and has been called the best place to live in Michigan. As of the 2010 census, this community had a little over 20,000 residents, about 14 percent of whom were aged 65 and over.
The Okemos region has 20 assisted living facilities, including three in the city proper. In Michigan, assisted living facilities are officially called homes for the aged and are for adults aged 60 and over. These facilities are licensed and monitored by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Okemos
- The air quality in Okemos is moderate, which may be beneficial for seniors with respiratory conditions like asthma. The American Lung Association gave Ingham County, where Okemos is located, a C for ozone pollution and an A for short-term particle pollution.
- The Okemos area has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Lansing.
- Okemos seniors do not pay state income tax on Social Security benefits, and there is a sizable deduction on all other types of retirement income. The sales tax rate in the state is moderate, but property taxes are relatively high here.
- The overall cost of living in Okemos is roughly 10 percent higher than state and national averages, primarily because of the community's high housing costs. Healthcare, groceries and utilities, however, are below state averages, which may offset seniors' rent and mortgages costs.
- Okemos' climate is several degrees cooler than the national average, which may appeal to seniors who are sensitive to high temperatures. July, the warmest month of the year, has highs around 80 degrees and lows around 60 degrees. January, which is this community's coolest month, has highs around 30 degrees and lows in the mid-teens.
- Okemos is ranked safer than just 22 percent of U.S. cities of all sizes and 17 percent of Michigan cities. However, when compared only to similarly sized cities, Okemos' crime rate is on par with the average. Seniors may want to ensure that they keep their vehicles locked and are aware of their surroundings when they're out in the community.
Paying for Assisted Living in Okemos
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Michigan
Assisted Living costs in Okemos start around $3,389 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Okemos and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Okemos
Low-income seniors residing in homes for the aged in Okemos may be eligible to have their assisted living expenses covered under the Medicaid State Plan. Michigan also provides an optional state supplement to Supplemental Security Income, which may be used for assisted living expenses.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Okemos
Okemos and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Okemos, please visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Okemos
Okemos-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Michigan are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Okemos, MI
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Okemos
Review of Bickford of Okemos
We went to Bickford of Okemos. Its a smaller environment, its in the suburbs of Lansing, and it might have been good for my mother. The people we met were helpful. They have a number of things th... Read more
Review of Bickford of Okemos
Bickford was clean and nice, but it did not fit our needs. The staff was well prepared for me to come and visit, but it's a little bit farther for me, and it's cramped. It's too far for my husband ... Read more
Review of Bickford of Okemos
We chose Bickford of Okemos because they were willing to work with my parents. They put them together in apartment, and everybody seems very caring and competent. Things are going well. The food is... Read more