57 Assisted Living Facilities near Grand Rapids, MI
Also serving communities of Walker.
There are 57 Assisted Living Facilities in the Grand Rapids area, with 29 in Grand Rapids and 28 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Grand Rapids is $3,514 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,450.
To help you with your search, browse the 212 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Grand Rapids. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Grand Rapids 4.1 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Grandville with an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Grand Rapids, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Grand Rapids, MI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Grand Rapids
Grand Rapids, Michigan, is located along Lake Michigan. It's home to 24 assisted living facilities, with 31 more facilities in neighboring communities such as Wyoming, Grandville, Kentwood, Byron Center, Rockford and Allendale.
Many assisted living facilities in Michigan aren’t required to be licensed by the state; however, the Department of Human Services, Bureau of Child and Adult Licensing monitors these facilities. The only exceptions to the non-licensure are adult foster care homes and homes for the aged. The difference between these two is that adult foster care homes typically house fewer adults than homes for the aged.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Grand Rapids
- Mild summers and snowy winters might appeal to some seniors. Grand Rapids’ hottest month is July, which has an average high temperature of 82 degrees. January is the coldest month with lows around 16 degrees. The city gets an average of 36 inches of rain and 68 inches of snow annually.
- Living in Grand Rapids is a bit less expensive than the rest of the country. The cost of living index here is 87.2, which is below the national average of 100.
- The crime rate is higher in Grand Rapids than the national average. Property crime comes in at 49.2, which is above the national average of 38.1. The violent crime rate is 66.2, which is more than double than the national average of 31.1, making security a concern for seniors settling here.
- Seniors can enjoy reduced fare on The Rapid, a public transit option that takes you around Grand Rapids and services other cities, including Kalamazoo. The Downtown Area Shuttle provides limited routes in the north and west areas of downtown without a fee.
- Grand Rapids is home to world-class medical facilities, including several Spectrum Health Hospital campuses like Butterworth and Blodgett, Mercy Health Saint Mary’s Campus, and Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illnesses.
Paying for Assisted Living in Grand Rapids
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Michigan
Assisted Living costs in Grand Rapids start around $3,516 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Grand Rapids and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Grand Rapids
Unfortunately, Michigan doesn’t provide financial assistance through Medicaid for many of the costs associated with assisted living; however, Medicaid and MI Choice might cover some of the costs.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Grand Rapids
Grand Rapids and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Grand Rapids, please visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Grand Rapids
Grand Rapids-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Michigan are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Grand Rapids, MI
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Grand Rapids
Review of Holland Home Raybrook Manor
Received a letter from the Privacy Officer that an employee tried to access my medical records without permission. Twice. Extremely unacceptable. Read more
Review of American House Grand Rapids
The manager at American House Grand Rapids, the person who showed us around, was exceptional. She knew the people, knew what she was doing, she was cordial, inviting, and knowledgeable. The place w... Read more
Review of Care Cardinal - Alger Heights
Care Cardinal - Alger Heights had a very pleasant staff, but it's more geared toward the affluent. The facilities and the rooms were beautiful, but they did not have the view that my parents would ... Read more