55 Assisted Living Facilities near Kentwood, MI
Also serving communities of Caledonia.
There are 55 Assisted Living Facilities in the Kentwood area, with 3 in Kentwood and 52 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Kentwood is $3,825 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,420. Cheaper nearby regions include Byron Center with an average starting cost of $3,650.
To help you with your search, browse the 195 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Kentwood. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Kentwood 4.1 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Grandville with an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 5 families in Kentwood find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Kentwood, call (855) 863-8283.
3 Assisted Living Facilities in Kentwood, MI
52 Assisted Living Facilities near Kentwood, MI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Kentwood
The culturally diverse city of Kentwood is located in Kent County, Michigan and boasts more than 80 restaurants, a sprawling shopping mall and more than a dozen parks for seniors to explore. The city has a population of over 51,000 residents, of which more than 12 percent are over the age of 65. Local seniors have four assisted living facilities within the city proper to choose from, and there are two more nearby for seniors who don't mind venturing out from the city.
In Kentwood, as in all of Michigan, assisted living facilities are categorized as "homes for the aged" or "adult foster care," depending on the minimum age of the residents that they are licensed to care for. All facilities are licensed and regulated by the Department of Human Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Kentwood
- Kentwood's cost of living is on par with the state average and a little below the U.S. average, which may appeal to seniors who have a fixed income. Healthcare expenses are about 17 percent less here than elsewhere in the country, and seniors can expect to spend about 9 percent less on groceries.
- As is the case in most states, Michigan does not tax Social Security benefits. While other types of retirement income are taxed, the state offers a large deduction, which may let seniors put more money in their assisted living budget.
- Kentwood is a relatively safe city with a violent crime rate that is lower than state and national averages. The property crime rate is 48 percent higher than Michigan's average and 16 percent higher than the national average, however, so seniors may want to ensure their vehicles are locked and their belongings secured when they're out alone.
- Public transit in Kentwood is provided by The Rapid, a bus service that operates more than two dozen routes throughout the city and region. Seniors over the age of 65 can receive a discount on their fare.
- The Kentwood area has no facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Grand Rapids.
- Kentwood has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Kentwood Parks and Recreation, an organization that offers an array of sports, fitness and enrichment programs for seniors, as well as one senior center.
Paying for Assisted Living in Kentwood
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Michigan
Assisted Living costs in Kentwood start around $3,825 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Kentwood and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Kentwood
Kentwood seniors who reside in homes for the aged may have their assisted living expenses covered through the Medicaid State Plan. Michigan also provides an optional state supplement for SSI recipients, which can be put towards the cost of assisted living.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Kentwood
Kentwood and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Kentwood, please visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Kentwood
Kentwood-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Michigan are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Kentwood
Review of Azpira Place of Breton
Azpira Place of Breton was very nice, new, updated, in great condition, beautiful, and clean. The staff was courteous and friendly. They had everything to make a group setting very complete. We saw... Read more
Review of American House Kentwood
The staff of Cobblestone is excellent, caring, and compassionate. They treat the residents as if they were family. The rooms are very pleasant and the activities provided are very enjoyable. ... Read more
Review of American House Kentwood
American House Kentwood was dark, dingy, and cold. The bedrooms were very dark, had very small window, no natural light, and the decorations were old and dated. It was less expensive than the other... Read more