14 Assisted Living Facilities near Howell, MI
Also serving communities of Fowlerville, Fowlerville.
There are 14 Assisted Living Facilities in the Howell area, with 3 in Howell and 11 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Howell is $4,020 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,400. Cheaper nearby regions include Brighton with an average starting cost of $2,503.
To help you with your search, browse the 79 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Howell. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Howell 4.7 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Stockbridge with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Howell, call (855) 863-8283.
3 Assisted Living Facilities in Howell, MI
11 Assisted Living Facilities near Howell, MI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Howell
Howell, which is the county seat of Livingston County in Michigan, was established in the mid-1830s by settlers from nearby Detroit. The city is most widely known for its festival-like Sunday Farmers' Market, where seniors can browse through locally grown flowers, produce and homemade crafts every first Sunday of the month from May through October.
Howell has a sizable senior community, which accounts for nearly 16 percent of the total population. Seniors have three assisted living facilities to choose from in the city proper and another 19 facilities nearby. In Howell, assisted living facilities that are specifically for adults over the age of 60 are called 'homes for the aged," and they are licensed and monitored by the Department of Human Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Howell
- Howell has well-defined seasons and a temperate climate that is typical of southeast Michigan. Summers are warm and comfortable, with highs in the low-80s, which may appeal to seniors who enjoy being outdoors. The area experiences harsh winters, however, with lows in the mid-teens and roughly 35 inches of annual snowfall. This may make local travel a challenge for seniors.
- The cost of living in Howell is nearly 18 percent higher than the U.S. average and 21 percent higher than the state average, which may be a concern for seniors on a tight budget. Even so, seniors can expect to spend about 8 percent less on grocery and health care expenses here than they would elsewhere in the country, which can help offset the high cost of other expenses.
- Howell seniors do not pay taxes on their monthly Social Security benefits, which can leave more money in the budget for assisted living. While income from retirement accounts are subject to taxation, the state provides a large deduction to help seniors hold on to more of their money.
- Howell's overall crime rate is 35 percent lower than Michigan's average and 46 percent lower than the national average, making it a safe option for seniors.
- Howell provides curb-to-curb public transportation courtesy of Livingston Essential Transportation Service. Seniors are eligible to receive a discount on their fare.
- The Howell area is home to world-class medical facilities, including St. Joseph Mercy Livingston, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Howell
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Michigan
Assisted Living costs in Howell start around $4,020 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Howell and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Howell
Seniors in Howell who reside in homes for the aged and qualify for the Medicaid State Plan may have their assisted living expenses covered by the program. Additionally, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) recipients receive Michigan's Optional State Supplement (OSS), which can be put towards their living expenses.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Howell
Howell and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Howell, please visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Howell
Howell-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Michigan are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Howell, MI
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Howell
Review of Vista Springs - Howell
Vista Springs Howell was really nice, and the staff was nice. It was open, bright, and didn't have a smell. It felt like you were more in a really nice apartment complex than a nursing facility. ... Read more
Review of The Willows at Howell
I chose The Willows because of the care and the location. It's in Howell, which is where my family is. It looks like the perfect place for Mom. The nurses and the staff are available at all times. ... Read more
Review of Vista Springs - Howell
I wasn't impressed with Vista Springs. The common areas weren't big; they have individual rooms for people, but they cost more. The activities weren't as diverse as the other places. Read more