10 Assisted Living Facilities in Bay City, MI
Also serving communities of Linwood, Linwood.
The average cost of assisted living in Bay City is $3,965 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Auburn with an average starting cost of $3,300.
To help you with your search, browse the 41 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Bay City. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Bay City 4.4 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Auburn with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 5 families in Bay City find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Bay City, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Bay City, MI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Bay City
Bay City, Michigan, which is nestled near the base of Saginaw Bay on Lake Huron, is home to 34,110 people. Though most of its population is middle-aged, the area has 23 assisted living facilities — commonly referred to in Michigan as adult foster care facilities. Six are located in the city proper and 17 in nearby communities. Facilities are all governed by the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA) to ensure regulations for proper standards of care are followed.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Bay City
- The cost of living in Bay City is 23.5 percent lower than the national average and 11 percent below Michigan's mean. Much this number is due to low housing costs, but savings are to be found in every category. This makes it easier for seniors to find affordable prices for groceries and health care services.
- According to EPA's National Air Toxics Assessment, the air quality in Bay City is seven points worse than the national norm. For seniors with respiratory or allergy problems, this could be an issue.
- With a violent crime rate of 42.5 and a property crime rate of 41.1, crime in Bay city exceeds the norm for both the nation and the state. For seniors in properly monitored ALFs, this might not be a major concern but could make going out chancy for active seniors.
- The climate in Bay City can be brutal. Winter temperatures can hover in the low teens for weeks and the city receives an average of 41 inches of snow per year. This could make it difficult for seniors to enjoy outdoor activities on a regular basis.
- Bay City has many cultural and art activities to offer people of all ages. Studio 23 holds year-round art exhibits, classes and lectures which are often free. There is also a city arts council and community theater that welcome all to participate.
- The Bay City area is home to world-class medical facilities, including McClaren Bay Region, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Bay City
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Michigan
Assisted Living costs in Bay City start around $3,915 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Bay City and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Bay City
There are three options available to help seniors pay costs associated with residing in a Bay City area assisted living facility: the MI Choice waiver program, the Expanded Community Living Supports (ECLS) program and MI Health Link. These are all Medicaid and Medicare waiver programs.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Bay City
Bay City and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Bay City, please visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Bay City
Bay City-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Michigan are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Bay City, MI
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Bay City
Review of New Hope Bay
We had a very good tour experience at New Hope Bay. It's relatively new and looks very good. It's very clean inside, and people actually stopped us and said, "You're going to like it here. You're g... Read more
Review of Charter Senior Living of Bay City
We placed mom in Charter Senior Living of Bay City. She did well there, but she passed away two weeks ago. Everyone was very caring and mom had a very good week there. A beautiful facility, mom fel... Read more
Review of Charter Senior Living of Bay City
If only Charter Senior Living of Bay City wasn't so far out, my father-in-law probably would have been there. The staff was pretty friendly and the rooms were pretty decent and decently priced. San... Read more