35 Assisted Living Facilities near Freeland, MI
Also serving communities of Hemlock, Merrill, Merrill.
There are 35 Assisted Living Facilities in the Freeland area, with 3 in Freeland and 32 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 126 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Freeland. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Freeland 4.2 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Auburn with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Freeland, call (855) 863-8283.
3 Assisted Living Facilities in Freeland, MI
32 Assisted Living Facilities near Freeland, MI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Freeland
Freeland gets its name from a pioneer-era bar in the area, which was known as Mammy Freeland's. A sparsely populated town in the heart of Tittabawassee Township, not far from Saginaw, just 7,000 people live in Freeland, nearly 10% of whom are seniors aged 65 and over. While Freeland doesn't have any assisted living facilities of its own, the surrounding area of Saginaw County does host 65 facilities where seniors can find safe, comfortable independent living.
Michigan avoids the term assisted living to describe these facilities, preferring to call them adult foster care facilities. These properties are inspected and licensed through the Michigan Department of Human Services Bureau of Children and Adult Licensing.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Freeland
- The weather in Freeland is hot and humid in summer but cold and dry in the winter. Temperature-sensitive seniors in Freeland face summer highs of 83 degrees and winter lows that can drop to around 15 degrees. Freeland gets 33 inches of rain in warmer months and 42 inches of snow when it's cold.
- The cost of living in Freeland is somewhat lower than the national average. Across all costs combined, seniors pay an average of 4% less than the typical cost of living in the rest of the country. Healthcare is especially affordable. Seniors in Freeland pay around 13% less for medical care than the typical national rate.
- Crime rates in Freeland are high. Across all categories combined, seniors in Freeland must live with nearly double the crime rate a similar-sized city elsewhere in the country deals with. Some of this is a quirk of the data, however, as Freeland's small population size creates wild annual swings in the overall crime rates when even a few extra incidents are reported. This results in some years having 400% more crime than the national rate, while in other years the figures are closer to the median nationwide.
- Saginaw Transit Authority and Regional Services (STARS) provides public transportation in Freeland with regular bus routes throughout the area. Seniors aged 62 and up can ride STARS routes at a discount, and disabled ride services are available for riders with limited mobility.
- The Freeland area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Ascension St. Mary's Hospital Health Center at Birch Run, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Freeland has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Saginaw County Commission on Aging, an organization that conducts senior living classes and connects local seniors with caregiver assistance, as well as more than five senior centers.
Note: Data on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Freeland
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Michigan
Assisted Living costs in Freeland start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Freeland and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Freeland
Freeland seniors who need help with the monthly cost of assisted living may be able to get some or all of the cost covered through the Michigan Choice Waiver Program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Freeland
Freeland and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Freeland, please visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Freeland
Freeland-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Michigan are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Freeland
Review of Barton Woods Assisted Living
My mother-in-law is living in Barton Woods. It has some really noisy spots but the layout is fine. The place is clean, not bad-smelling and no odors. They're a little understaffed and the services ... Read more
Review of Stone Crest Assisted Living
My father’s sister is in the same place, so it made it easy for my father to see both her sister and my mother at StoneCrest. It’s very nice, and they have different activities like church on Tuesd... Read more
Review of Barton Woods Assisted Living
The rooms are nice and big; they are roomy. The staff is wonderful, they take good care of my mom, and they are very friendly and very accommodating. The place is very clean. I haven't eaten there ... Read more