12 Assisted Living Facilities in Topeka, KS
Also serving communities of Auburn, Valley Falls, Holton.
The average cost of assisted living in Topeka is $3,173 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,420.
To help you with your search, browse the 52 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Topeka. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Topeka 4.1 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 9 families in Topeka find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Topeka, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Topeka
Topeka, located in Shawnee County, is the capital city of Kansas. Seniors make up over 15 percent of the population in Topeka and have access to 21 assisted living communities. Assisted living in Kansas is most commonly referred to as adult care homes or residential health care facilities — all of which are regulated by the Kansas Department for Aging and Disability. Specific amenities at these facilities vary, but in general, the residents in Topeka's assisted living communities can expect room and board, transportation assistance and help from staff with various activities of daily living (ADLs), including washing, dressing and taking medication.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Topeka
Topeka's weather is typical of the American prairie, shifting suddenly and without warning over the course of an average day. Daily highs in Topeka average 66 degrees, and they drop to an average low of 31 degrees. Shawnee County gets 36.5 inches of rain and 18 inches of snow every year.
- Shawnee County has generally good air quality as rated by the American Lung Association. Lots of open spaces and frequent stiff winds help keep both the ozone and fine particle pollution in Topeka under control.
- Topeka's cost of living is not overly high by national standards, and it's pretty low even by the reasonable standards of the rest of Kansas. Transportation and health care, for example, are 7 and 4 percent cheaper in Topeka than the national average.
- Topeka citizens pay three different sales taxes on most purchases. The state of Kansas charges the highest rate, 6.5 percent, but both Shawnee County and the city itself charge their own sales duties (1.15 and 1.5 percent, respectively). This adds a combined 9.15 percent to almost every transaction in the city. Kansas also charges a 5.7 percent income tax on its residents, though certain types of retirement income may be exempt. Property taxes vary by location, but they tend to be higher in Topeka than elsewhere in the state.
- Topeka has an unpleasantly high crime rate, especially compared with the rest of Kansas, which is generally safe by national standards. Topeka residents have a 1-in-278 annual risk of being the victim of a violent crime, while there's a 1-in-18 risk of property crimes such as theft or vandalism.
- Topeka Metro Transit operates the buses in much of Shawnee County. This service keeps regular hours, offers discounts to students and seniors and provides transfers on request to other nearby services. The Topeka Metro website offers helpful updates on route and schedule changes, as well as tips on discount travel with other services, such as local taxi companies running promotions.
Paying for Assisted Living in Topeka
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Kansas
Assisted Living costs in Topeka start around $3,173 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Topeka and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Topeka
The state does offer some help for seniors and their families who are having a hard time covering the costs of AL. In addition to the federal Medicare program, which covers much of the monthly expense of assisted living, Kansas operates the Senior Care Act program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Kansas page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Kansas page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Topeka
Topeka and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Topeka, please visit our Assisted Living in Kansas page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Topeka
Topeka-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Kansas are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Kansas page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Topeka, KS
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Topeka
Review of Oak Creek Senior Living
Oak Creek is a small, no-frills, down-to-earth facility that has the most caring staff I've ever met. Both residents and staff feel like family. My loved one loved this place and these people. I co... Read more
Review of Legend at Capital Ridge
My father is at the Legend at Capital Ridge. So far, it's been great. Everything's been going pretty good. There were a couple little incidences of miscommunication, but everything has been fine si... Read more
Review of Atria Hearthstone
Atria Hearthstone is very clean, very bright and cheery. Every staff member I've had interaction with has been very helpful, very nice and very friendly. It's really a nice place. The only complain... Read more