2 Assisted Living Facilities in Atchison, KS
The average cost of assisted living in Atchison is $3,829 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include St. Joseph with an average starting cost of $2,875.
To help you with your search, browse the 2 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Atchison. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Atchison 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Atchison, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Atchison, KS
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Atchison
The birthplace of Amelia Earhart, Atchison, Kansas, is a community deeply rooted in history and tradition. Located along the Missouri River, Atchison is home to more than 10,000 residents. Nearly 14% of this population is aged 65 and older, and some of those seniors may be considering moving to an adult care home (ACH) to accommodate their changing needs.
Assisted living facilities (ALFs) and residential health care facilities are both considered types of ACHs, and are licensed and governed by the Secretary of Aging and Disability Services. Three of these facilities are available in and around the Atchison area.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Atchison
- Atchison has an array of community resources for seniors, including Project Concern, Inc., an organization that provides services to improve seniors' mobility, accessibility and stability. The services they offer include transportation, daily lunch, meal delivery and organized activities held at the senior center.
- Seniors without their own personal vehicle may have difficulty getting around the city, as it has no fixed-route public transportation system. Project Concern does operate a public transportation service Monday through Friday, and many ACHs offer scheduled transportation for their residents.
- With its low cost of living, Atchison is an affordable option for seniors on a budget. The city receives an index rating of 78, largely due to low housing and transportation costs. This number is much lower than the statewide average of 90 and U.S. average of 100.
- One of the most historically-rich cities in Kansas, Atchison offers many points of interest, historic sites and cultural attractions for seniors to explore. Seniors can wander the halls of the Atchison County Historical Society Museum, take a trolley tour around the city or enjoy a live performance at the Theater Atchison.
- The rate of violent crime in Atchison is rated 19.9, compared to the U.S. national average of 22.7. However, seniors may want to be aware of the high property crime rates in the city at 48.7, about 13 points higher than the national average of 35.4. Seniors may want to ensure prospective ACHs have state-of-the-art security systems in place.
- The Atchison area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Atichson Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Atchison
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Kansas
Assisted Living costs in Atchison start around $3,829 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Atchison and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Atchison
Seniors in Atchinson can access financial assistance to help cover ALF expenses through the state's KanCare Medicaid waiver programs. Additional supplementation for certain services is available the Frail Elderly (FE) waiver.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Kansas page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Kansas page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Atchison
Atchison and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Atchison, please visit our Assisted Living in Kansas page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Atchison
Atchison-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Kansas are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Kansas page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Atchison
Review of Vintage Park at Atchison
Vintage Park at Atchison seems to be pretty clean and well organized. We looked at one resident's room, and we were satisfied. It was well cleaned and kept up. I think it looked OK. Read more
Review of Gran Villas Atchison
Gran villa is a very clean Home they are for three home-cooked meals a day snacks I request and a beauty Salon. There There is a very on Hom feel. The staff is wonderful they are very good at their... Read more