7 Assisted Living Facilities in St. Joseph, MO
Also serving communities of Savannah.
The average cost of assisted living in St. Joseph is $2,875 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,450. Cheaper nearby regions include Cameron with an average starting cost of $2,800.
To help you with your search, browse the 11 reviews below for assisted living facilities in St. Joseph. On average, consumers rate assisted living in St. Joseph 4.2 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Kearney with an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in St. Joseph, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in St. Joseph, MO
What to Consider About Assisted Living in St Joseph
Nestled along the banks of the Missouri River lies St. Joseph, a city known for its contributions to the meat and poultry industries. St. Joseph has helped transport goods and information since the 1800s and played a vital role in the Pony Express. This bustling city houses nearly 76,000 people, 14.4% of whom are senior citizens.
Approximately 10 assisted living facilities are available in St. Joseph, Missouri, to handle the long-term care needs for aging residents who wish to remain in the community. The Department of Health and Senior Services monitors the performance of assisted living communities in St. Joseph and throughout Missouri.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in St Joseph
- The St. Joseph area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Mosaic Life Care at St. Joseph, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- St. Joseph seniors at least 50 years old can visit the Joyce Raye Patterson Senior Center for socialization, meals, games, dances and other activities. Members can also use the fitness center and participate in group exercise classes.
- Seniors who prefer changing seasons rather than a climate that remains the same year-round will likely appreciate the weather in St. Joseph. Throughout the year, temperatures typically fall between 19 and 88 degrees, though they may drop down to single digits in winter or soar to the high-90s in the summer.
- St. Joseph, has a high crime rate, although most crimes involve theft or property damage rather than assault or other violent crime. Assisted living communities with gates, passcodes or security workers help seniors feel safe in their homes.
- The cost of living for St. Joseph sits at just 80.6 on a 100-point scale, making it more budget-friendly than many parts of Missouri and the rest of the United States. Housing costs less than half of the U.S. average, so frugal-minded seniors may find St. Joseph a practical location for retirement.
- Known as "The Ride," the St. Joseph Transit provides transportation for seniors and other residents throughout the city. Disabled passengers and seniors aged 60 and older receive half-price fares for the transit, which runs every day but Sunday.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in St Joseph
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Missouri
Assisted Living costs in St. Joseph start around $2,875 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in St. Joseph and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in St Joseph
St. Joseph seniors can reduce out-of-pocket medical expenses by applying for MoHealthNet for Seniors. This health program offers several waivers that reduce or eliminate the cost of assisted living expenses, including the State Plan Personal Care Option and the Missouri Medicaid Aged and Disabled Waiver.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in St Joseph
St Joseph and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in St Joseph, please visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in St Joseph
St Joseph-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Missouri are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Missouri page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in St. Joseph, MO
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in St. Joseph
Review of Vintage Gardens
Vintage Gardens was very nice. The staff was very nice. The grounds were beautiful and very nice. The people looked to be happy and content there. Read more
Review of Vintage Gardens
Vintage Gardens was the place that we got for my mother. We chose it for its price, and they have nurse practitioners and doctors that come in to the facility. They can eat in their room or in thei... Read more
Review of Vintage Gardens
The south building is the worst. The administration is never there when you need to talk to someone about an issue, the staff is very rude. They are always sitting around when you walk in. The acti... Read more