10 Assisted Living Facilities near Mystic, CT
Also serving communities of Groton, Waterford, Niantic.
There are 10 Assisted Living Facilities in the Mystic area, with 2 in Mystic and 8 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Mystic is $5,550 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,400. Cheaper nearby regions include Westerly with an average starting cost of $3,995.
To help you with your search, browse the 44 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Mystic. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Mystic 4.5 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Westerly with an average rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Mystic, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Mystic, CT
8 Assisted Living Facilities near Mystic, CT
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Mystic
There is a sizable senior population in Mystic with over 29 percent of the population aged 65 and over. There are nine assisted living facilities in the area catering to this population, all licensed by the Department of Public Health Facilities Licensing and Investigations Section.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Mystic
- All retirement income is subject to income tax in Connecticut, including pensions, retirement funds and Social Security. Some exemptions are made for Social Security Income for seniors on low incomes. Sales taxes in the state are close to the national average and groceries are exempt, which may help seniors save money for their assisted living budget.
- The air quality in New London County, including Mystic, is mixed. The county received a B grade for 24-hour particle pollution and a failing grade for ozone pollution in the State of the Air 2018 report. Seniors with respiratory conditions may wish to investigate how this will impact their health.
- Public transport in Mystic is provided by South East Area Transit (SEAT). Reduced fares are available to riders aged 65 and over. SEAT also has a curb-to-curb paratransit service available for people unable to use the regular service, which some seniors may be able to take advantage of.
- Seniors interested in arts and culture may enjoy a visit to the Mystic Museum of Art, which has exhibitions as well as workshops for seniors interested in nurturing their own artistic side. Mystic Dark Room presents theater and ballet performances for seniors who enjoy live entertainment.
- The Mystic area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Lawrence + Memorial Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- The cost of living in Mystic is ranked 140 on the Sperling index, which is 40 points higher than the national average. This is largely due to the high cost of housing and seniors will find that while everyday expenses like groceries and healthcare are still high, they are closer to the national average.
Paying for Assisted Living in Mystic
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Connecticut
Assisted Living costs in Mystic start around $5,550 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Mystic and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Mystic
Seniors in Mystic who receive Social Security Income may be eligible for financial assistance through the Optional State Supplement (OSS). The Home Care Program for the Elderly is available to residents of select assisted living facilities in Connecticut, but none of these facilities are in Mystic.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Connecticut page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Connecticut page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Mystic
Mystic and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Mystic, please visit our Assisted Living in Connecticut page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Mystic
Mystic-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Connecticut are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Connecticut page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Mystic
Review of Masonicare at Mystic
We went to Masonicare at Mystic. It was a wonderful facility. I didn't see anything wrong with it at all, but it was the distance from the children that kept us away from there. The staff was wonde... Read more
Review of Masonicare at Mystic
Masonicare (Masonicare At Mystic) is a very friendly, brand-new place. The rooms are brand new. They have a library, a pool, and some nice areas to eat. The food is excellent. The staff is great. B... Read more
Review of Academy Point at Mystic
I visited Academy Point at Mystic for my dad. It is a beautifully situated, old school house that looks out at the river and is so pretty. It's dated, though, and wasn’t the right kind of place for... Read more