9 Assisted Living Facilities near Norwich, CT
Also serving communities of Bozrah.
There are 9 Assisted Living Facilities in the Norwich area, with 2 in Norwich and 7 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 33 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Norwich. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Norwich 3.7 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Waterford with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Norwich, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Norwich, CT
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Norwich
Known as the "Rose of New England," Norwich is a New London County city full of modern and historical beauty. The city has plenty to offer, including enjoying a stroll through Mohegan Park or playing the slot machines at Mohegan Sun, only 6 miles away. Norwich seniors, 15% of the population, who are looking for assisted living options have 12 facilities in the area to choose from, with two located within city limits.
Connecticut's Department of Public Health licenses and oversees assisted living facilities and residential care homes (RCHs) in Norwich and all through the state.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Norwich
- Seniors who love being outside can enjoy Norwich's comfortably warm weather for a quarter of the year, with temperatures in the 70-85 degree range and generally low humidity.
- The cost of living in Norwich is slightly higher than the national average, but housing is actually cheaper than many other places in Connecticut, making it an affordable option for seniors.
- Southeast Area Transit District (SEAT) offers reduced fares as well as accommodations to seniors who need to get around Norwich and surrounding areas in Southeastern Connecticut. The downtown Norwich Transportation Center conveniently offers tickets.
- The Norwich area is home to world-class medical facilities, including William W. Backus Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Norwich is safer than 34% of U.S. cities, so seniors can enjoy living in a relatively secure location.
- Seniors can enjoy a variety of artistic and cultural attractions. The non-profit Norwich Arts Center offers theatrical performances and gallery shows to the public and paying members, which seniors can become at a discounted price. Assisted living centers may also provide trips to see regional attractions, such as the Eastern Connecticut Symphony Orchestra.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Norwich
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Connecticut
Assisted Living costs in Norwich start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Norwich and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Norwich
Norwich seniors can receive financial assistance toward assisted living services via the non-Medicaid Connecticut Home Care Program for Elders, which is funded by the state.
An optional state supplement (OSS) is also available through the Department of Social Services to support eligible low-income individuals.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Connecticut page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Connecticut page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Norwich
Norwich and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Norwich, please visit our Assisted Living in Connecticut page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Norwich
Norwich-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Connecticut are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Connecticut page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Norwich
Review of Sheltering Arms Retirement Residence
Sheltering Arms just didn’t have the best levels of services. It wasn’t quite on the level of assisted living, and that’s why it just wasn’t working for my mother anymore. I can say that it was a g... Read more
Review of Sachem Home
Sachem Homes is an assisted living facility. They provide meals and the residents either have their own rooms or shared room. They have 24-hour staff. It caters to smaller community. The meals are ... Read more
Review of Sheltering Arms Retirement Residence
Sheltering Arms was okay for daycare but not good for someone to live in. It was a clean place, but it had a small area for anyone to walk around and it was not near a grocery or a restaurant. Read more