16 Assisted Living Facilities near South Windsor, CT
Also serving communities of Manchester, East Hartford, Vernon Rockville.
There are 16 Assisted Living Facilities in the South Windsor area, with 3 in South Windsor and 13 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in South Windsor is $5,273 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 70 reviews below for assisted living facilities in South Windsor. On average, consumers rate assisted living in South Windsor 4.2 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Glastonbury with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 5 families in South Windsor find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in South Windsor, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in South Windsor, CT
What to Consider About Assisted Living in South Windsor
South Windsor is a suburb of Hartford, Connecticut, with a large senior population. Of the community’s nearly 26,000 residents, 17.2 percent are age 65 or older, and they are served by the 17 assisted living facilities in the South Windsor area.
These facilities, like those in the rest of the state, are classified as assisted living services agencies or residential care homes. They’re regulated by the Connecticut Department of Public Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in South Windsor
- With winter lows in the teens and summer highs in the 80s, this community has a less comfortable climate than the national average. South Windsor is also snowier and rainier, which may not be ideal for active seniors who want to spend time outdoors.
- The cost of living in South Windsor is 18.5 percent higher than the U.S. average. The biggest factor in South Windsor’s high cost of living is housing, though utilities and transportation are also more expensive than the national norm. This may pose challenges for seniors who are living on a fixed income.
- Senior residents of South Windsor have access to a wheelchair-accessible, door-to-door bus service. Trips must be scheduled in advance, and medical appointments receive top priority. Seniors can also use the bus service for errands and out-of-town shopping trips.
- In Connecticut, 78 percent of communities have a lower crime rate than South Windsor. Residents of South Windsor have a 1 in 57 chance of becoming a victim of a property or violent crime. For safety conscious seniors, other communities in Connecticut may be more appealing.
- South Windsor has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Fit for Life Fitness Center, a facility that provides low-cost access to exercise equipment. The town’s Adventure Club, which is open to people 55 years and older, allows seniors to participate in kayaking, ziplining and other activities.
- South Windsor has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Hartford, Connecticut. Seniors with serious health conditions may prefer to live closer to a major hospital.
Paying for Assisted Living in South Windsor
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Connecticut
Assisted Living costs in South Windsor start around $5,273 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in South Windsor and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in South Windsor
The state of Connecticut offers several Medicaid waiver programs that can help South Windsor seniors pay for the costs of assisted living facilities. Eligible seniors may receive additional funding from the optional state supplement (OSS), which they can use to pay for room and board.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Connecticut page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Connecticut page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in South Windsor
South Windsor and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in South Windsor, please visit our Assisted Living in Connecticut page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in South Windsor
South Windsor-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Connecticut are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Connecticut page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near South Windsor, CT
Other Options in South Windsor, CT
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in South Windsor
Review of The Residence at South Windsor Farms
My father moved into The Residence at South Windsor Farms. Our overall experience with it is very positive. I like that they know all the residents and that they make sure that they're getting the ... Read more
Review of The Village at Buckland Court
My mother is living in The Village at Buckland Court. The place looks nice, and she likes it there. Everything has been good so far including the staff; we don't have complaints. She enjoys the act... Read more
Review of Brookdale South Windsor
Brookdale South Windsor was very nice and very clean and had a very friendly staff. The rooms were very nice and very adequate. Read more