Located on the eastern tip of Long Island about 80 miles from Manhattan, Suffolk County is home to some of the area’s most iconic destinations, including Fire Island National Seashore, Sag Harbor and the Hamptons. With nearly 1.5 million residents, Suffolk is one of the state’s most populous counties. The area’s home to 255,000 senior citizens, and this number has increased dramatically in the past decade. Suffolk County’s growing senior population means there’s increasing demand for health care, nursing homes and other supportive services.

Seniors who require continuous medical monitoring or skilled rehabilitation following a surgery or hospital admission are ideal candidates for nursing homes. Individuals who need periodic assistance with daily tasks or someone to help with medications on a regular basis might consider moving into an assisted living facility or hiring a home health care provider instead. These services cost considerably less than skilled nursing, which averages around $12,395 per month.

If you’re looking for information about Suffolk County nursing homes, this guide details local providers, average prices and possible alternatives. We’ve also included a list of government agencies and nonprofit partners that can help with long-term care planning.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Suffolk County, NY

Luxor Nursing and Rehabilitation at Sayville

300 Broadway Avenue, Sayville, NY, 11782

Very impressed with the care for my Dad at Luxor. The staff are friendly, courteous and professional. The staff works very well together which shows me that management cares for their employees. Fa … (read more)

Bellhaven Center for Rehabilitation and Nursing Care

110 Beaver Dam Road, Brookhaven, NY, 11719

My father was at this facility for 24 hours. In that time he was there for rehab for a hip replacement and was a fall risk. In less than 24 hours he slipped off the bed and fell to the floor. He calle … (read more)

Luxor Nursing and Rehabilitation at Mills Ponds

273 Moriches Road, Saint James, NY, 11780

I was a short term patient recovering from spinal fusion surgery. I was placed on the long term Dementia/Alzheimer’s 3rd floor when I should have been placed on the short term floor (1st floor) I sha … (read more)

Smithtown Center For Rehab & Nursing Care

391 North Country Road, Smithtown, NY, 11787

This was a wonderful CLEAN and caring environment! My mom still talks about it and wants to visit her "friends" I can’t say enough about the quality of the nursing staff! Thanks would never be enough … (read more)

Long Island State Veterans Home

100 Patriots Road, Stonybrook, NY, 11790

This facility is fantastic,the staff is very professional,friendly and are actually proud to be taking care of all the residents. It is very clean and always being upgraded. There are a lot of activit … (read more)

Peconic Landing

1500 Brecknock Road, Greenport, NY, 11944

Jefferson’S Ferry

1 Jefferson Ferry Dr, South Setauket, NY, 11720

Jefferson’s Ferry was very good. The rooms were very nice, spacious, and clean. They have a pool, a laundry shop, a library, movies, bingo, and games. Their continuity of care was what I liked the m … (read more)

Peconic Bay Homehealth Svs

1300 ROANOKE AVENUE, Riverhead, NY, 11901

My brother is currently at Peconic Bay and he receives the Best care possible. The staff is very friendly and always eager to help. I am so grateful that he is in this facility!

Good Samaritan Nursing & Rehabilitation Care Center

101 ELM ST, Sayville, NY, 11782

My Mother was at GS for 3 months; every Staff member was extremely attentive to her; whenever one of my family members called, the phone was answered immediately; if we needed to speak to a Staff memb … (read more)

Maria Regina Residence Inc

1725 Brentwood Road, Brentwood, NY, 11717

My mother-in-law moved into Maria Regina Residence Inc. several months ago. It’s a nursing home and so far, it’s been excellent. The staff all seem to be very friendly and caring, both towards the pat … (read more)

St Catherine of Siena

52 Route 25A, Smithtown, NY, 11787

My stepmom is in St. Catherine of Siena Nursing and Rehabilitation Care Center. She loves it there. It’s clean, and although they are a little short staffed, they are wonderful with the residents. The … (read more)

Affinity Skilled Living and Rehabilitation Center

305 LOCUST AVENUE, Oakdale, NY, 11769

I spent two and a half weeks there and found the staff and medical personnel to be nothing but courteous, always willing to help (even in the middle of the night) and prompt to give assistance wheneve … (read more)

Gurwin Jewish Nursing & Rehabilitation Center

68 Hauppauge Road, Commack, NY, 11725

The rooms are the nicest part of the facility. Staff originally seems caring and helpful but after your loved one has to stay for awhile the truth comes out. Food was cold, never delivered we had t … (read more)

Riverhead Care Center L L C

1146 Woodcrest Avenue, Riverhead, NY, 11901

My mother stayed at this facility for 3 months after her stroke. For the most part the staff here is excellent. But since it is a for profit operation and they are very understaffed, and overworked. T … (read more)

Carillon Nursing & Rehab Center

830 PARK AVENUE, Huntington, NY, 11743

My aunt has been in Carillon Nursing and Rehabilitation Center. I found both times that they were quite attentive. With COVID now, they made a different set of rules for everything, so you won’t get t … (read more)

Westhampton Care Center

78 OLD COUNTRY ROAD, Westhampton, NY, 11977

My mom got cov 19 staying at this nursing home. And krostin in social work is horrible unethical uncaring she set up a discharge plan for my mom without me even knowing they are trying to kick her out … (read more)

Berkshire Nursing And Rehab

10 Berkshire Road , West Babylon, NY, 11704

Berkshire Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is more suited to my father. He requires nursing home care, and the staff is doing a good job. They’re helping him with his needs. I don’t have any complain … (read more)

Medford Multicare Center

3115 Horseblock Road, Medford, NY, 11763

My dad was at Medford Multicare Center. I would not recommend them. On the weekends, when we went, my father was locked in a wheelchair in a dirty diaper. I was trying to change him myself, and I coul … (read more)

Quantum Rehabilitation and Nursing

63 Oakcrest Ave, Middle Island, NY, 11953

My dad is in Quantum Rehabilitation and Nursing. They seem very friendly and caring. When I push my dad around the nursing home, everybody knows his name and says hi. They read stories to the patients … (read more)

Medford Hamlet

1529 N Ocean Ave, Medford, NY, 11763

Number one on my list is the cleanliness and brightness of this facility. My Mom moved there December 2010, and shares a room with a lovely woman . The wait time after Mom was put on the list, was … (read more)

Nursing Home Costs in Suffolk County, New York

Nursing homes in Suffolk County charge $12,395 per month for semiprivate rooms and $13,357 per month for private rooms, which is significantly higher than the national average.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

Seniors in Suffolk County pay a substantial premium for nursing home care when compared to residents in other parts of the country. Average rates of $12,395 per month are just $76 higher than the state median, but they’re 60% higher than the national average of $7,756. However, rates are typical for the region. Seniors in New York City pay $11,771 per month, a savings of $624. Rates climb to $13,748 in Poughkeepsie, followed by Bridgeport, Connecticut, at $14,113. Just a few hours away, seniors in Kingston pay $14,797, about $2,400 more.

$12395

Kingston

$14113

Bridgeport

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Skilled nursing is the most intensive form of long-term care, and consequently, it’s the most expensive with a median cost of $12,395-$13,357. Assisted living in Suffolk County costs almost half as much at $6,445. Prices for in-home care drop to $4,767 per month or $4,948 with added medical services. Adult day health care programs that include meals, recreational activities and personal care cost $1,110 per month, which is lower than the national average.

$4767

Adult day health care

$6445

Assisted living

$12395

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$13357

Nursing home (private room)

Note: Data for Suffolk County was unavailable, so data for the nearest city, New Haven, CT, was used instead.

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Suffolk County, New York

Free Resources for Seniors in Suffolk County, New York

If you live in Suffolk County, various local organizations can help you apply for in-home care or make the transition to a nursing home. Many of these services are free thanks to Medicare, Medicaid and government funding.

ResourceContactService
Suffolk County Office for the Aging(631) 853-8200Seniors aged 60 or older can contact the Suffolk County Office for the Aging for help accessing long-term care and various government-sponsored programs. This agency offers utility bill assistance, farmers market vouchers and healthy aging courses. It can also help you qualify for in-home care and personal assistance through Medicare or Medicaid.
Suffolk County Accessible Transportation Services(631) 738-1150SCAT is an ADA-compliant curb-to-curb transit service available in areas served by Suffolk County Transit bus lines. The service operates seven days a week, and rides can be scheduled one to five days in advance. Disabled residents and their companions pay $4 each way, and personal care attendants ride for free. You may request curb-to-building assistance or help with wheelchairs when you make your reservation.
Catholic Charities of Long Island(516) 733-7045Catholic Charities of Long Island works with the Nassau County Office for the Aging to provide supportive services to seniors who want to age independently in the community. The state-sponsored Expanded In-home Services for the Elderly Program provides personalized supports, including transportation, meals and home care. Most services are free or available for a nominal share of cost.
Jewish Association Serving the Aging(212) 273-5272JASA’s professionally staffed help center handles more than 3,000 calls annually. It provides information about affordable housing, legal questions, volunteer opportunities and local senior centers. JASACare offers Medicaid-funded in-home assistance while giving seniors access to a multidisciplinary team specializing in counseling, caregiver supports and advocacy.