A suburban area just outside of New York City, Westchester is the second-most-populous county in the state. It has a population of 967,506, of whom 17.4% are seniors. Residents can take advantage of close access to dozens of options for medical care, including the Northern Westchester Hospital, which has been recognized for outstanding patient care.

Nursing homes offer a range of medical services on-site, including rehabilitation, medication management and personal assistance around the clock. A semiprivate room in a Westchester nursing home costs an average of $14,113, according to Genworth’s 2020 Cost of Care Survey. As this is higher than both national and state averages, seniors may benefit from looking into other types of care, such as home care or assisted living.

This guide is designed to help seniors find long-term care that suits their needs and lifestyles. An included resource guide lists free programs for seniors in the region.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Westchester County, NY

King Street Rehab

787 King Street, Rye Brook, NY, 10573

King Street Rehab is well appointed and clean. The rooms are lovely, yet expensive. The management cares about nothing other than receiving payment immediately and mopping the corridors continuously. … (read more)

United Hebrew Geriatric Center

391 Pelham Road , New Rochelle, NY, 10805

Our Mom was here for 15 days after falling. The care was absolutely wonderful. Moms room was bright, clean and Mom was comfortable and even remarked that the mattress was great. All of the round … (read more)

Rosary Hill Home

600 Linda Avenue, Hawthorne, NY, 10532

Most beautiful, clean, serene atmosphere. Outstanding caring, compassionate Sisters and nursing staff. My friend was kept dignified and comfortable as he spent the last months of his life in a loving … (read more)

Kendal on Hudson

1010 Kendal Way, Sleepy Hollow, NY, 10591

Kendal on Hudson is an assisted living community in Sleepy Hollow, New York, located near major highways, top medical centers and a short drive from New York City. Residents and guests give the facili … (read more)

Adira At Riverside Rehabilitation & Nursing

120 Odell Avenue, Yonkers, NY, 10701

I can Breath easily knowing my grandmother is being well taken care of, especially during a pandemic. We had the opportunity to video chat when visiting was not an available option. I am thankful an … (read more)

Sky View Rehabilitation & Health Care Center L L C

1280 Albany Post Rd, Croton On Hudson, NY, 10520

My mother is Skyview Rehabilitation and Health Care. We like the location. We decided to try it out, and we don’t have any major complaints at this point. They’ve stopped doing physical therapy and oc … (read more)

Wartburg

1 Wartburg Place , Mount Vernon, NY, 10552

The Wartburg Home was very good and had excellent rehab. Mom wanted to stay there, but they said she can’t because Medicare said she was not progressing and Medicare would not want to work with us any … (read more)

White Plains Center For Nursing Care

220 West Post Road, White Plains, NY, 10606

I have a family member who has been a resident for quite a few years now. It is always a lovely place to visit when I come here. The staff is lovely, cheerful, and friendly, especially the ladies in t … (read more)

Bethel Nursing Home

17 Narragansett Avenue, Ossining, NY, 10562

The Osborn Senior Living

101 Theall Road, Rye, NY, 10583

We choose the Osborn Pavillion for a post hospital stay for my 90 year old father based on reviews, and sense that it was "the best." Putting "the best" as a bar to reach for, it was lacking. Please b … (read more)

Bayberry Nursing Home

40 Keogh Lane, New Rochelle, NY, 10805

I was a resident TWICE at Bayberry in 2019. After a hospitalization, I choose Bayberry for a second time. The nurses are professional, caring and compassionate, as are the ladies (cna’s) who ass … (read more)

North Westchester Restorative Therapy & N C

3550 LEXINGTON AVENUE, Mohegan Lake, NY, 10547

My grandmother in law, as well as my family friends mother stayed at this facility- one 4 years ago, and the other this year. What an improvement those years make! While the facility was always nice- … (read more)

St Cabrini Nursing Home

115 BROADWAY, Dobbs Ferry, NY, 10522

I have a brother at this facility in NY. No family member lives close by. I am not able to talk to him because someone took the phone out of his room. We just had a death in our family in Florida and … (read more)

The Knolls

55 Grassland Road, Valhalla, NY, 10595

The staff at Westchester Meadows were helpful. The food is delicious but they provide only two meals a day, very expensive. You have to buy there. They don’t have any activities once you reach the n … (read more)

The New Jewish Home, Sarah Neuman

845 Palmer Avenue, Mamaroneck, NY, 10543

Sarah Neuman Center seemed fine. They had a new set up that was like a home setting. There were fewer people interacting with the patients. They had private and semi-private rooms. The security seemed … (read more)

Sprain Brook Manor N H

77 JACKSON AVE, Scarsdale, NY, 10583

My godmother has bad arthritis and had difficulty walking. She was at Sprain Brook for a month after being discharged from the hospital where she was being treated for knee pain. Rather than getting h … (read more)

N Y S Vets Home at Montrose

2090 ALBANY POST ROAD, Montrose, NY, 10548

Veterans Home is only twenty years old. It was built in 2001, and it’s just one floor. All the rooms have bay windows, so each bed is by a bay window. On days when things are really strict there, as f … (read more)

Waterview Hills Campus

537 Route 22, Purdys, NY, 10578

The Paramount at Somers

189 ROUTE 100 P.O. BOX 445, Somers, NY, 10589

My mother stayed in The Paramount at Somers. It was good, but according to my mother they were understaffed. They need to get a bigger staff and also pay closer attention to all the patients there. Ph … (read more)

West Ledge Rehabilitation and Nursing Center

2000 EAST MAIN STREET, Peekskill, NY, 10566

We moved my dad to The Emerald Peek for rehabilitation purposes early in March. After talking with them, we found out that we could actually keep him in the skilled nursing facility since we were very … (read more)

Nursing Home Costs in Westchester, New York

In Westchester, a semiprivate room in a nursing home costs around $14,113. For a private room, this price increases to $15,208.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

Comparing the costs of semiprivate nursing home rooms, Westchester has some of the highest prices in the region. It’s significantly costlier than the national average of $7,756 and the state average of $12,319.

Westchester’s high nursing home prices are beaten only by Kingston, where a semiprivate room costs $14,797. On the coast, New York City is much more affordable, at $11,771. Central city Utica has the lowest nursing home costs in the state, averaging $9,581. At $12,380 per month, costs in lakeside city Rochester are close to the state average.

$14113

Rochester

$14797

Kingston

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Considering the high cost of nursing home care in Westchester, seniors may find it helpful to look at long-term care alternatives that offer similar services. This includes assisted living, which averages a more affordable $7,838. Seniors looking to stay at home might consider home health aide services, which average $5,148, or homemaker services for $4,767 per month. Adult day health care is the most cost-effective option, at $1,926.

$4767

Adult day health care

$7838

Assisted living

$14113

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$15208

Nursing home (private room)

Note: Data for Westchester was unavailable, so data for the nearest city, Bridgeport, CT, was used instead.

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Westchester, New York

Free Resources for Seniors in Westchester, New York

Adults considering moving into a nursing home may find the following resources useful. Some offer home-based care alternatives while others can help make the transition smoother.

ResourceContact Service
Westchester County Department of Senior Programs and Services(914) 813-6300This organization maintains a directory of long-term care options and helps seniors access financial assistance to pay for them. Adults at home can access home-delivered meals, emergency help with bills and caregiver assistance programs. Project Lifesaver equips wandering seniors with GPS safety bracelets.
The Center for Aging in Place(914) 510-2081The CAP is a network of services in Westchester County dedicated to helping older adults stay safe at home. A resource center has information on health maintenance, financial assistance programs and advocacy services.
Westchester Jewish Community Services(914) 761-0600This nonprofit has a range of adult-focused programs, which include mental health care, companion services and a nursing home transition and diversion program. Adults can access personal emergency response devices, memory loss support and a brain injury respite initiative. Cultural, social and spiritual programs are also available.
DOROT(212) 769-2850Serving adults over 60, this nonprofit is also dedicated to improving the quality of life of home-bound adults. A friendly visiting program is offered here, as are holiday gift package deliveries. A University Without Walls program lets elders participate in interactive lifelong learning opportunities at home.