Dotted with historic buildings and steeped in culture, Albuquerque is an ideal location for sunshine-loving seniors who prefer suburban life. Adults over the age of 60 make up 22.6% of the population, so there are plenty of thriving senior living communities to choose from. The UNM School of Medicine is home to the UNM Senior Health Center, which is dedicated to supporting individuals over age 70 who are frail or require memory care. It also runs the UNM Center on Aging, which aims to strengthen senior health care services across the entire state.

The function of nursing care is to provide a level of support suitable for people who are no longer able to get the care they need in their own home without help. A semiprivate room in a nursing home costs $8,330 on average, which is high compared to the national median of $7,756. Individuals who don’t require skilled nursing care around the clock might find assisted living or home health care more affordable and appropriate for their needs.

Read on to explore senior care costs in more detail and find out about some local resources for older adults in Albuquerque.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Albuquerque, NM

2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

The Montebello on Academy

10500 Academy Road NE, Albuquerque, NM, 87111

The Montebello on Academy is located in Albuquerque, less than two blocks from shops and a park. The facility’s pleasant outdoor spaces and common areas, such as the restaurant and patios, consisten … (read more)

La Vida Llena

10501 Lagrima De Oro Ne, Albuquerque, NM, 87111

I was at La Vida Llena as an invited guest. The facility is new and very beautiful. The location is also very good. It just opened this year. It would definitely be my choice, but it’s expensive. I … (read more)

The Rio at Las Estancias

3620 Las Estancias Drive SW, Albuquerque, NM, 87105

If you are looking for the best long term care facility in this area, we highly recommend this one! They have the most caring, competent staff who will always address your requests or concerns. Rooms … (read more)

Good Samaritan Society Manzano del Sol Village

5201 Roma Avenue NE, Albuquerque, NM, 87108

My mother entered Manzano Del Sol for long-term rehab care after experiencing a series of strokes last March on the recommendation of a friend who had said that while basic in terms of facility the th … (read more)

Skies Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center

9150 MCMAHON NW, Albuquerque, NM, 87114

My wife was at Skies Nursing Home, which was a horrible experience. She came home, but they never set up the home assistance or home health things for us. After five days of getting no services, she h … (read more)

Princeton Place

500 Louisiana Blvd NE, Albuquerque, NM, 87108

Had my mother stay here for a bit while we could not support her, but had to immediately pull her out due to the lack of care and utter neglect. The staff are all terrible and dont care about their jo … (read more)

Ladera Care and Rehabilitation Center

5901 Ouray Rd NW, Albuquerque, NM, 87120

Ladera’s got good reviews and that’s the reason I moved my wife there. She was in another one and it didn’t have great reviews. They have a nurse there that I really didn’t know, but he was real frien … (read more)

Albuquerque Heights Healthcare and Rehabilitation

103 HOSPITAL LOOP NE, Albuquerque, NM, 87109

My friend stayed at this facility after having had some serious surgeries. She was placed there to recover and receive therapy to get stronger to ultimately go back to living on her own and caring for … (read more)

Genesis Healthcare Uptown

7900 Constitution Avenue NE, Albuquerque, NM, 87110

Wonderful facility, very clean, nicely updated on both the interior and exterior! Tiffany helped place my family member, arranged a private, very updated and modern room and did an excellent job. At … (read more)

Advanced Health Care Of Albuquerque

2701 Richmond Drive NE, Albuquerque, NM, 87107

Was there for rehab after my hip replacement. Our first Dr never showed up even after 8 days so they switched me to Dr Ralph and his PA Karen who were warm and professional. The aids are extremely b … (read more)

Avamere Rehab at Fiesta Park

8820 Horizon Boulevard NE, Albuquerque, NM, 87113

Review of “Avamere at Fiesta Park Rehabilitation Facility.” If there is one word I could use to describe my “care” at this facility it would be “neglectful.” From basic nursing care, nurs … (read more)

Canyon Transitional Rehabilitation Center

10101 Lagrima De Oro Ne, Albuquerque, NM, 87111

I didn’t like Canyon Transitional Rehabilitation Center. I didn’t think the staff was friendly. They didn’t answer their phones. They won’t let you in. She was only there a short time because she was … (read more)

Las Palomas Care and Rehabilitation Center

8100 Palmoas Avenue NE , Albuquerque, NM, 87109

I’m now in Las Palomas Care and Rehabilitation Center. It’s not a great experience. Just responding to the call button is extremely slow. The food is really good. I haven’t gotten any therapy yet, so … (read more)

Sandia Ridge Center

2216 Lester Drive NE , Albuquerque, NM, 87112

I did not like St. John’s Healthcare and Rehabilitation at all. The staff were courteous and helpful but I did not like the atmosphere. I find it extremely overcrowded. When we entered, it was full … (read more)

Paloma Blanca Health and Rehabilitation

1509 UNIVERSITY BOULEVARD NE, Albuquerque, NM, 87102

Had my grandfather there. He received the best care he could have. All long term facilities get a "bad wrap" . I found the staff very caring, and taking care of business. The food is the best I ha … (read more)

Skies Healthcare And Rehabilitation Center, Llc

9150 Mcmahon, Albuquerque, NM, 87114

My mother broke her him last November and chose to rehabilitate at Skies Rehabilitation in Albuquerque, NM. Her first two days there I became very worried because she seemed so out of it. My mother … (read more)

Bear Canyon Rehabilitation Center

5123 Juan Tabo Boulevard, Albuquerque, NM, 87111

My uncle was at Bear Canyon Rehabilitation Center, and I feel like his health declined over there. I’m not pleased. He went in sort of walking, and he came out practically wheelchair bound. Although t … (read more)

Rehabilitation Center Of Albuquerque

5900 Forest Hills Drive Ne, Albuquerque, NM, 87109

I cannot recommend this facility. The main problems with RCA were a lack of communication from the administration staff and failure to transport my family member to doctor’s appointments. I live away … (read more)

Presbyterian Kaseman Hospital

8300 Constitution Avenue NE , Albuquerque, NM, 87110

My mother was placed there after breaking her hip. The staff is very lazy, and when paged for pain meds would take hours. The place is clean. She became very constipated and they neglected the fact … (read more)

South Valley Care Center, Llc

1629 Bowe Lane SW, Albuquerque, NM, 87105

Nursing Home Costs in Albuquerque, New Mexico

Seniors can expect to pay $9,809 per month on average for a private room in a nursing care facility, whereas the median cost of a semiprivate room is $8,330.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

When comparing the prices of nursing home facilities in Albuquerque to nearby cities, the median costs of semiprivate rooms have been used. Not only is the city around $600 more expensive than the national average, but it’s also almost $1,000 more costly than the overall New Mexico State average of $7,406.

Of all the cities in New Mexico, Albuquerque is the most expensive when it comes to nursing home care. Santa Fe ($8,060) is more expensive than the U.S. and state averages, but cheaper than Albuquerque, while Farmington ($6,915) and Las Cruces ($7,336) are more affordable than the city, state and national median cost values.

$8330

Santa Fe

$7336

Las Cruces:

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

For some, the cost of senior living in Albuquerque plays a significant role in their final choice of care type, so it’s important to explore every available option. Nursing home facilities provide the most expensive and extensive level of care, with private rooms costing $9,809 and semiprivate rooms coming in at $8,330. Home care and home health care cost around half the price of a nursing home, with the average price of both being $4,385. Assisted living has the next-cheapest median cost, at $4,050 and the most affordable is adult day care, which older adults can expect to pay $2,513 for each month on average.

$4385

Adult day care

$4050

Assisted living

$8330

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$9809

Nursing home (private room)

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Albuquerque, New Mexico

Free Resources for Seniors in Albuquerque, New Mexico

Seniors in Albuquerque can benefit from knowing the resources that are available to them locally. Some free benefits might enable older adults to remain in their residencies longer, delaying time before nursing care is required and saving money. Others might help them to understand exactly what is offered by each type of facility.

ResourceContact Service
Area Agency on Aging (505) 768-2084
The Albuquerque Area Agency on Aging is designed to help adults over age 60 or 55 in tribal programs gain access to benefits and free services. It prioritizes low-income seniors, but any local resident can use the service to get information and advice. The services it offers include, case management, homemaker services, transportation, respite care, support for caregivers, health care services and home-delivered meals.
City of Albuquerque Senior Services(505) 764-6400Senior Services in Albuquerque offers a wide range of services and resources to the local community. Some of them, such as the health and fitness program, are available to individuals over age 50, others are designed for people over age 55, like the volunteering program and meals, transport and care coordination are aimed at over 60s.
Meals on Wheels Albuquerque(210) 735-5115
Seniors who are unable to leave their homes or struggle to prepare three healthy meals a day can use the local Meals on Wheels service. Not only can Albuquerque residents benefit from the spoils of regular nutritious meals, but they also get regular wellness checks and the chance to chat with a friendly volunteer.
Albuquerque Senior Centers(210) 967-6372
The Department of Senior Affairs operates all the local senior centers, which are community centers that provide adults over the age of 50 who live locally opportunities to socialize, exercise, attend events and get access to education, outings, meals and support groups.