Nicknamed The Queen of The Ozarks, Springfield has a population of 167,051, making it Missouri’s third-largest city. To the benefit of its 26,227 senior residents, Springfield boasts an extensive array of healthcare options that include nationally ranked Mercy Hospital Springfield and CoxHealth System, which both have dedicated orthopedics hospitals. Springfield’s $5,171 average cost of nursing home care is well below the national median, and its overall cost of living is much lower as well.

Excluding hospitals, nursing homes provide the most robust range of healthcare services in a facility setting. The most common services include assistance with personal care, medication monitoring by registered nurses and around-the-clock medical supervision. Seniors who don’t require access to on-site, 24-hour medical and skilled nursing care may find that assisted living or home care will not only save them money, but allow them to live more independently.

In addition to covering the cost of nursing homes and other long-term care options in Springfield and comparisons with nearby cities, this guide provides an overview of available programs that can help pay for or delay the need for nursing home care.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Springfield, MO

The Manor at Elfindale

1707 W Elfindale Street, Springfield, MO, 65807

My mother was in The Manor at Elfindale for about 30 days. They did an excellent job, and I was very pleased with how they took care of her. They had occupational therapy, physical therapy, and skille … (read more)

Woodland Manor

1347 E Valley Water Mill Rd, Springfield, MO, 65803

My mother seems to be happy at Woodland Manor. First and foremost, they’re clean and don’t smell of urine or feces. The staff is very friendly. Residents share a bathroom, but they have their own room … (read more)

Maranatha Village

233 EAST NORTON ROAD, Springfield, MO, 65803

Maranatha Village is located in Springfield, Missouri, with convenient access to I-44. The facility receives high marks for its sprawling, 180-acre campus, with visitors noting the well-maintained wal … (read more)

The Neighborhoods at Quail Creek

1514 West Lark, Springfield, MO, 65810

This facility is nothing short of amazing! My mom was at another rehab center for 49 days with no improvement and in 3 weeks at Quail Creek the change is truly a miracle. Wendy, the activities directo … (read more)

Manorcare Health Services

2915 S Fremont Ave, Springfield, MO, 65804

After a two week stay in the Hospital, my father came to ManorCare for rehab. He was a resident for 3 weeks. The MedBridge facility, staff and accommodations were great. Their PT, activities and th … (read more)

Springfield Rehabilitation & Health Care Center

2800 S Fort Avenue, PO Box 3438GS, Springfield, MO, 65807

My mother tested positive for COVID-19 after 10 days in quarantine but I was not informed for 4 days. At 10am I had a meeting at the facility w/ a social worker & was there for 40 to 45 minutes. … (read more)

Magnolia Square Nursing and Rehabilitation Center

1502 WEST EDGEWOOD, Springfield, MO, 65807

My mother was well cared for and treated with dignity and respect for the last weeks of her life at Magnolia Square. During the pandemic, we were allowed "compassion visits," since my mother was termi … (read more)

Birch Pointe Health & Rehabilitation

3705 S Jefferson Avenue, Springfield, MO, 65807

I had a family member that was in the facility. She ended up with bed sores and lack of care. She was sent back to the hospital. The hospital noted several bed sores. My family member wasn’t even … (read more)

Christian Health Care of Springfield East

3535 East Cherokee, Springfield, MO, 65809

The staff is very scattered. They are disorganized and get mad when family question what they are doing for the resident. They leave people laying in beds screaming out for help and just ignor them. I … (read more)

James River Care & Rehabilitation Center

3550 E Battlefield , Springfield, MO, 65809

There was a couple of good nurses aids, but most of the staff was uncaring. When you needed assistance and turned on the call light it would take up to an hour for the staff to respond. The residents … (read more)

Maples Health and Rehabilitation

3535 S National Ave, Springfield, MO, 65807

I was here after my knee surgery, the food was dreadful, the aides we thin and hard to find, everyday I would ask for pain med in the afternoon only to be told it would be an hour or more because th … (read more)

Brookhaven Health Care Center

3405 West Mt. Vernon , Springfield, MO, 65802

My mother arrived at Brookhaven on a Friday between 12:00 and 1:00 p.m. She is 82 years old and had broken bones in both her feet and could not walk. She needed pain medication every four hours or s … (read more)

Greene Haven

910 South West Avenue, Springfield, MO, 65802

I was always that person who said, "I’ll never go to a nursing home." But a short term stay at Jordon Creek Nursing & Rehab I just might change my mind. I especially liked the staff on my wing. Th … (read more)

Springfield Villa

1100 E Montclair St, Springfield, MO, 65807

Mercy Villa was horrible. My father was in there temporarily and I’ve known other residents there. The chaplain was wonderful, but they’re just extremely short on staff. It’s not clean and it’s very s … (read more)

Cox Medical Center

1423 N. Jefferson Ave. , Springfield, MO, 65802

St John’s Regional Health Center

1235 EAST CHEROKEE, Springfield, MO, 65804

Wilson’s Creek Nursing & Rehab

3403 West Mt Vernon, Springfield, MO, 65802

Nursing Home Costs in Springfield, MO

On the monthly basis, seniors in Springfield spend $5,171 for a semiprivate room in a nursing home and $5,931 for a private room.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

Springfield seniors pay an average of $5,171 a month for a semiprivate room in a nursing home, which is $395 less than Joplin’s cost of care and 1.8% above the state’s median cost of $5,080. At $4,940 a month, Columbia has one of the state’s lowest nursing home rates, while Kansas City’s $6,844 monthly median cost is among the highest. However, with most seniors across the country spending an average of $7,756 a month for the same level of care and accommodations, Springfield and all other Missouri cities are considerably more affordable.

$5171

Columbia

$6844

Kansas City

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Although Springfield’s cost of nursing home care is affordable compared to the rest of the country, it’s still the city’s most expensive type of care. For both in-home care and home health care, seniors spend around $4,290 per month, which is 17% less than the cheapest nursing home option. Assisted living and adult day health care in Springfield are even more budget-friendly, with most older adults paying about $3,100  and $1,788 a month, respectively. When a nursing home is the only viable option, most seniors can save around $760 a month by opting for a semiprivate room over private accommodations.

$4290

Adult day health care

$3100

Assisted living

$5171

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$5931

Nursing home (private room)

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Springfield, MO

Free Resources for Seniors in Springfield, MO

The following resources provide an array of free care services and life-enhancing benefits that can help seniors delay transitioning to a nursing home.

ResourceContactService
Aged and Disabled Waiver(417) 862-0762Seniors enrolled in or eligible for MO Healthnet, Missouri’s Medicaid program, can receive a variety of in-home services through the Aged and Disabled Waiver. Adult day health care, homemaker services, respite care and assistance with chores are among the available services. To qualify, seniors must be at least 63 years of age and have functional limitations that would typically require placement in a nursing home.
Independent Living Waiver(417) 895-6433The Independent Living Waiver is another MO Healthnet program designed to help seniors receive the care and support they need without moving out of their homes. The program offers assistance with personal hygiene, housekeeping, nursing services and case management. Medical equipment and supplies and assistance with managing finances may be provided as well.
Home-Delivered Meals(417) 862-0762In addition to helping seniors meet their nutritional needs, the Home-Delivered Meals program provides Springfield’s older adults with a casual wellness check and social interaction. Homebound seniors can receive hot meals during the week and frozen meals on weekends. For full eligibility requirements, seniors should contact the SeniorAge Area Agency on Aging.
SeniorAge Home Safety Program(417) 862-0762The Home Safety Program helps seniors move about their homes with confidence by providing personal emergency response devices and installing safety features, such as grab bars in the bathroom, shower seats and safety rails. This program is administered by the SeniorAge AAA and is primarily funded by local taxes.