East Longmeadow is a peaceful town in Hampden County that’s only 10 minutes from downtown Springfield and 30 minutes from Hartford, Connecticut. Around 21.7% of its 16,430 residents are aged 65 and older, a figure well above the national average of 16.5%. The town’s below-average nursing home costs, $11,568 for a semiprivate room, may factor in why so many seniors choose to call it home. The abundance of high-quality medical facilities within easy reach may also be a cause. Baystate Medical Center, ranked #5 in Massachusetts, is only a 16-minute journey north, while nearby Hartford houses three of the top 10 hospitals in Connecticut.

Nursing home care is for seniors with needs best served 24/7 by registered and licensed nurses, physicians and therapists. Unlike hospitals, nursing homes feel homely while still providing high levels of medical support. More able-bodied seniors and those not in need of 24-hour attention may find that assisted living and home health care are better choices for their long-term health care needs.

The costs of different types of senior care in East Longmeadow and the surrounding area are covered by this guide in more detail. It also lists some senior-friendly resources.

Directory of Nursing Homes in East Longmeadow, MA

Chestnut Hill of East Longmeadow

32 Chestnut Street, East Longmeadow, MA, 01028

A loved one was a resident of Chestnut Hill of East Longmeadow. They did a lot of group activities almost every day. They would have the activity person in a room, and they would play games, or they d … (read more)

CareOne at Redstone

135 Benton Drive , East Longmeadow, MA, 01028

If I could have rated this facility below a 1 I would have. My loved one had two falls while in the facility, one resulting in an ER visit, the other with a possible fx, no one called to report the fi … (read more)

East Longmeadow Skilled Nursing Center

305 Maple Street , East Longmeadow, MA, 01028

It seems like they are short staffed. My mother was basically going nuts in there and she was miserable there. I would of liked her day filled up a little more like it has been in previous places. She … (read more)

Chestnut Point Care Center

171 Main Street, East Windsor, CT, 06088

The staff here was so welcoming and the rooms are very clean and cozy . We are so excited that we chose Touch Points of Chestnut. Thank you to the administration and staff for your support during thi … (read more)

Loomis House

298 Jarvis Avenue, Holyoke, MA, 01040

My wife is in Loomis House. The rooms are OK. Care is OK too. It is more for Alzheimer’s and dementia patients. It is only six miles from my house and four miles from my daughter. The value is good to … (read more)

Mary’s Meadow at Providence Place

12 Gamelin St, Holyoke, MA, 01040

We cannot say enough positive words about Mary’s Meadow. We recommend them so highly. My mother was there for a couple of weeks after being hospitalized post a bad fall and having a severe back injury … (read more)

Wingate at Springfield

215 Bicentennial Highway, Springfield, MA, 01118

Going to see a family member in a facility is extremely difficult as it is so knowing they’re being taken care of is extremely important. When I first walked into the facility I felt a warm happy feel … (read more)

Loomis Lakeside at Reeds Landing

807 Wilbraham Rd, Springfield, MA, 01109

The Suffield House

1 Canal Road , Suffield, CT, 06078

My mom is on a waiting list, and we’re looking at The Suffield House. It was good. The facilities seemed clean. We got to see the one single room set-up. We didn’t have a chance to see double rooms be … (read more)

Heritage Hall East

464 Main Street, Agawam, MA, 01001

Heritage Hall East is an assisted living facility located in the heart of Agawam, Massachusetts, offering short and long-term housing options for retired seniors in what family members praise as a saf … (read more)

Fresh River Healthcare

96 Prospect Hill Rd, East Windsor, CT, 06088

My husband is now living in Fresh River Healthcare. As soon as I went in, I was warmly welcomed by Robin, who is the director. My husband’s disease is Huntington’s as well as dementia, and I’m very ha … (read more)

Heritage Hall South

65 Cooper Street, Agawam, MA, 01001

Spacious rooms. Many are formerly 3 bed turned into 2 bed. Staff is readily available for any of your concerns. The majority of nurses and CNAs are excellent. My mother was there for 3 years and was v … (read more)

Heritage Hall West

61 Cooper Street PO Box 325, Agawam, MA, 01001

My relative was there for rehabilitation. She had been there a few times prior to 4/20 and had good experiences. She was there 6/22-7/22 and it has been a terrible experience. They lost her denture, h … (read more)

JGS Lifecare

770 Converse Street, Longmeadow, MA, 01106

Very poor communication from administration. Social worker was quite rude and refused to communicate with me regarding my mother. I also attempted to speak with the executive director who has not both … (read more)

Evergreen Health Care Center

205 Chestnut Hill Rd, Stafford Springs, CT, 06076

We chose Evergreen Health Care Center for my mother-in-law, and we’re very happy with it. The staff is very good, and they answered all our questions. They have a gazebo in the little courtyard with f … (read more)

Blair Manor

612 Hazard Ave, Enfield, CT, 06082

I was a patient at Blair in November 2016, it was an unexpected stay, I had no time to research, and I was there for hip therapy. I shared a room with one other young lady and we were sort of separa … (read more)

Wingate at West Springfield

42 Prospect Avenue, West Springfield, MA, 01089

Wingate was the only one that has a bed available when my mother was discharged from the hospital. She’s been there a number of times and they know her. I’ve had meetings with the social worker before … (read more)

Mont Marie Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center

36 Lower Westfield Road, Holyoke, MA, 01040

My father was at Mont Marie for rehab. Their nurses were fabulous and overworked. I think there weren’t enough of them, although it was COVID. I was only inside once, but the nurses were wonderful. Ev … (read more)

Wingate at Wilbraham

9 Maple Street, Wilbraham, MA, 01095

Staff here is wonderful – very friendly on every occasion, even just when you encounter someone walking down the hall. Great nursing care and physical therapy. As a family member I was made to feel … (read more)

Westfield Gardens

37 Feeding Hills Road, Westfield, MA, 01085

I have a friend who has gone to Westfield Gardens to do a little rehab after a short hospital stint. I speak to her daily. She is diabetic. The food they give her is NOT geared to a proper diabetic m … (read more)

Nursing Home Costs in East Longmeadow, MA

In East Longmeadow, seniors pay an average of $11,568 per month for a semiprivate room in a nursing home and $12,298 for a private one.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

Comparing data published in the 2020 Genworth Cost of Care Survey, it’s plain that East Longmeadow is at the affordable end of the scale for Massachusetts. Only Pittsfield’s seniors pay less, at $11,102. All other cities surveyed in Massachusetts cost more, such as Worcester at $12,486 and Boston at $13,383. Families considering moving out of state for more affordable care won’t find relocating to Hartford, Connecticut, financially better, as seniors there typically pay $13,079 per month for their semiprivate rooms.

$11568

$13383

Boston

$13079

Hartford, CT

Note: Data for East Longmeadow was unavailable, so data for the nearest city, Springfield, was used instead.

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Senior care fees reflect the provider’s costs and the frequency of care. Consequently, adult day care is the most affordable option, with fees averaging $1,452 per month. Home care costs $5,015, as does home health care, which provides limited medical support in addition to home care services. Assisted living accommodation and care mean seniors typically pay $5,750. Nursing homes provide round-the-clock hospital-like care by medical professionals, resulting in fees of approximately $12,298 per month for a private room, although semiprivate rooms can be had for $11,568.

$5015

Adult day care

$5750

Assisted living

$11568

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$12298

Nursing home (private room)

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in East Longmeadow, MA

Many seniors and their families use some form of financial assistance to help them pay for nursing care. The main options available are Medicare, Medicaid and veterans benefits. These programs can be complicated, especially when it comes to benefit terms. Below, we give a brief overview of how these programs may be used towards paying for skilled nursing care.

• Medicaid: Medicaid covers most of the costs of living in a skilled nursing facility for those who qualify. Care, room and board are covered with no time limit, but residents may be charged for extras like specially prepared food or cosmetic services. Medicaid eligibility standards are strict and complex, so not all seniors are eligible for Medicaid benefits.

Free Resources for Seniors in East Longmeadow, MA

These resources are examples of what’s available to seniors in East Longmeadow. They can assist those already residing in nursing homes and support those not yet ready for that level of care, enabling them to remain in their own homes for as long as possible.

Resource

Contact

Service

Greater Springfield Senior Services, Inc. is a multiresource agency funded by the Executive Office of Elder Affairs. Its primary purpose is to offer services that enable seniors to remain at home and within the community. These include supporting caregivers through education and practical means, such as the provision of respite care. The agency also manages the Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program, which advocates for seniors in nursing homes and other types of residential care facilities.

East Longmeadow's seniors are offered two nutritional choices: one for those who can attend the senior center and another for those who are housebound. For a $3 donation, senior center visitors aged 60+ are served freshly-prepared hot meals that include a dessert and drink. The donation for home-delivered meals is the same, and in both examples, there's no income eligibility requirement, and seniors unable to pay are never refused a meal.

The Tri-Town Trolley operates between East Longmeadow, Hampden and Longmeadow. For $1 per trip, it transports seniors in-town for any type of appointment, with the fare rising to $2 for out-of-town journeys. The service operates Mondays to Fridays, between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m.

The Council on Aging provides many resources for East Longmeadow's seniors. These range from practical in-home support, such as File of Life, a magnetized pouch with emergency numbers conveniently positioned on the senior's fridge, to health care proxy services, which enable seniors to plan for their own life support and make them known to key family members. The agency also specializes in services for the disabled, such as installing adaptive phone equipment in their homes free of charge and arranging an enhanced 911 service, which helps first responders understand and prepare for the disabled adult's unique circumstances.