Sandia Vista Senior Living

Reviews of Sandia Vista Senior Living

Independent Living Reviews for Sandia Vista Senior Living

May 06, 2017

By Ann440251

We visited Las Colinas, and it was very well done; it had nice kitchens, it was very friendly, and it was well-run. I really liked that place, I've been there 2 or 3 times, and that would be the place I would pick. The dining area was very nice, the food was very good, and they had wide choices. The staff was marvelous. They had an art class, lots of clubs, and outings. They had different courtyards and one you could take the dogs to and let them run free.

Thank you for taking the time to review our community! We pride ourselves on our friendly atmosphere, active community and healthy food choices. You are welcome to come back anytime!

February 16, 2017

By BCF1966

We moved my mother into Las Colinas about 3 years ago, and it was the best decision we have ever made! The staff is absolutely wonderful! Their food is delicious and made from scratch. They are truly in the business of helping people, and keep their culture very family centered. I couldn't have asked for a better home for my mother. The medical staff from their homecare agency, Gemini have been a blessing as well. They have enabled mom to stay in an independent setting rather than an assisted living, which she does not need. Love you guys!

May 10, 2016

By MarshaHJEHO

I haven’t moved into Las Colinas (Senior Star at Las Colinas Village) yet, but the single most outstanding thing that I found was the staff and how friendly and welcoming they were and how special they made me feel. I haven’t even moved in yet, but the facility is very appealing. I’m very happy with it. It is clean and well maintained. There is a little bit of every kind of activity you could possibly want. They’re letting me bring my weaving loom and put it in their activities area.

May 10, 2016

By Philip16

We liked Senior Star at Las Colinas Village. The rooms were very large, the atmosphere was extremely comfortable and we felt very welcome. The food was excellent. Our experience was very good. They are on the list of places we would like to live in. The staff were very friendly.

November 24, 2015

Senior Star at Las Colinas Village was very nice and clean. The staff was very informative. They seemed to have a lot of activities and played a lot of games, which was something I'm not into, so that kind of put me off.

September 07, 2015

By Annie18

I liked that there are more staff than managers, and included in the rent is they walk your dogs three times a day. They're also putting in a dog park which is important to my client. The food is excellent, and they have regular activities, i.e., shopping trips, bowling, and bingo. It's a good social environment, and she's pretty happy there. She is in a wheelchair, and she has two dogs, so it's difficult. The dog thing and how excellent their staff is were really very important to her. Nobody else has dog walking included, and it would normally be a couple of hundred dollars to have somebody come and help you with the dogs. That's pretty unique to Senior Star at Las Colinas Village.

January 16, 2015

By Deborah100322950

We visited several places, and Senior Star at Las Colinas Village was the one we liked the best. Everybody has been very nice and has gone above and beyond, and it is a lot better than we even thought it would be. The food is great, and it is made from scratch -- it is not the bought and warmed up kind of stuff. My mother just moved in a couple of days ago, and she hasn't really done activities, but there are lots available. She has a nice room. There is a kitchen, and it is actually a one-bedroom, so it is working out very well for her. It has got a new carpet and new paint, and she needed the bathroom door widened. The very same day we asked for it, they started doing it, and it has been great -- no extra charge on the rent for that. It seems to be very secure. They lock the doors at 9:00 P.M and unlock them at 6:00 A.M, and everyone who comes in has to check in.

August 30, 2014

By Karen91863350

My mother and uncle are both in Las Colinas (Senior Star at Las Colinas Village). My uncle is just right next door to my mom. The employees there are very caring. They are all trained for what is right for memory loss and how to help people who are suffering from some short-term memory loss. It is an independent living, but there is home health care on-site. It isn't our favorite though, because what they did is, they take an existing apartment complex and turn it into independent living. We looked at a newer facility and they have more handicap bathrooms and things like that, but they are much smaller than where they are now. The apartment here is much spacious and they actually work with us and actually replace the bathtub with a handicap walk-in shower before they moved in, and they didn't charge us for that. They have a lot of activities. They have a lot of different exercise programs. They also have exercise equipment for seniors who are motorized, so people can have that full range of motion. The activities director is really great about having all kinds of field trips for the folks. The grounds are very park-like. There is a lot of green space around the apartment complex. It is not my favorite area at Albuquerque, but it is very easily accessible because it is very close to the on and off ramp of the freeway, so it is easy to go to and from.

August 26, 2014

By Lois12

Senior Star has a lovely physical environment. It had two large enclosed gardens which were really beautiful. They have a few apartments in the upper floor and it’s three stories tall. The inside is kept up beautifully. Everything is fine and the upper floors have several apartments that have balconies outside. I had lunch there and everybody would introduce themselves using their first name, even the dishwasher. They allow pets there and every lady seems to have one. They also have somebody who can walk the pets if you cannot do it.

August 14, 2014

By Teresa33

We moved my mother into Senior Star in June. It seems to be perfectly fine. They kept in close contact while she was making her decision, and they made it as easy as possible when the moving time came. It's an apartment. It was much larger than any other places we looked. The mealtimes are extended so that she can go when she wants. She said the food is not wonderful but OK. It's getting to be an older building, and it does need some updating, which they have started. They've put in new elevator interiors.

February 27, 2014

Senior Star at Las Colinas Village looked and felt like a hospital. It also smelled moldy. Their activity director was a little bit of a busybody. She gossiped about everybody. The staff there was mean to me. The maintenance person just snapped at me. I tried to talk to him but he just yelled all over me again. After that incident, the director said to me that if I said anything negative about the place, she would kick me out right on the spot. It freaked me out. I actually almost had an anxiety attack when she said that. I was there for only five months. I got the heck out of there after she made that threat. At Las Colinas Village, people were leaving. They had like 20% vacancy and they were just taking whoever they could get. They were only independent living but half of their residents there should be in a more of Alzheimer's type unit. They shouldn't take people in there that really need different care. They had a lot of problems with them. They had alcoholics, they had people that wander off, etc. They were desperate so that they were just taking whoever needs a place. However, with regards to food, they were actually better than the other facility. It was pretty good and you can get as much as you want.

January 31, 2014

We visited Las Colinas Village in Albuquerque and the facility is too crowded with all the people and the furniture that they have. I don’t like it as far as space in concerned because I am in a little wheelchair and it would be difficult for me to maneuver in such crowded places. Their staff is very friendly and they are wonderful. They had me for lunch and their food is extremely good.

August 04, 2011

By ecs

My family had placed my maternal grandmother in Las Colinas Village after her husband was lost to Alzheimers. The reason for placing her in this particular facility was due to is location, which is within easy access to the freeway, as my family members make frequent visits that last over the weekend. What impressed me about Las Colinas Village was the attention of the staff. When my mother and I would make trips we would arrive late at night and someone would always be able to greet us and let us inside. The staff was also commendable in their ability to remember many of the residence that surprised me on every trip and helped in creating a very friendly atmosphere. But the best feature about Las Colinas was the calender of activities that the home provides to residents. In the case of my grandmother, this helped her in the death of her husband. My only gripe with the facility is that each of the apartments has an intercom system installed to notify all residents about events and the dishes served for the day. However the speaker works at a low volume and my grandmother is quite hard of hearing. Yet she is still able to keep up due to the event calenders the home delivers.

Questions about Sandia Vista Senior Living

Describe the overall population of independent living residents at Sandia Vista Senior Living. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

The residents at Sandia Vista are what makes our community special. Everyone is lively and helps to care for each other. The bonds they have with each other are something truly special. The average age is in the early '80s, although the ages range from 56 to 99. Some of the most attended activities are morning exercise, social hours, bingo, and live music on Friday.

What places are nearby for independent living residents to enjoy?

Convenient to I-40, Sandia Vista sits at the base of the Sandia mountains where there is beautiful walking trails, the Sandia Peak tramway. The community is just minutes from Kirtland AFB, UNM, historic Old Town, museums and of course Balloon Fiesta Park.

What are some recent off-site events that the community activity director at Sandia Vista Senior Living has organized?

Our residents enjoy getting out and exploring all that New Mexico has to offer. Recent off-site trips include: BioPark, local Casino's, Nuclear Museum, different restaurant weekly, Opera, Fort Union National Monument, and Acoma Sky CIty. We also will go to Santa Fe a couple times per year, and have traveled as far as Taos, NM.

What transportation services does Sandia Vista Senior Living offer to independent living residents?

Transportation Services are included in the monthly rates. Monday thru Thursday, medical appointments take precedence. Friday's we go on a special trip and will fit in any medical appointments as needed. Saturdays are store trips. Sundays we go to any Church within a 6 mile radius of our property, and go for a Sunday Drive.

What makes the chef or dining program at Sandia Vista Senior Living exceptional? What kind of menu can independent living residents expect?

Our tenured Chef, Dave Newton, has been with Sandia Vista for 8 years and prepares specials daily featuring seasonal, local favorites as well as traditional comfort food. Everything is prepared fresh daily from breads to desserts Dave loves to bake and it shows! Seated, served dining and optional menu choices are available providing residents options all day.

What common areas are available for independent living residents?

There are several common areas at Sandia Vista. When you first enter our property, you will notice the Los Amigos Lounge. This Lounge acts as a second living room for the residents as well as a communal activity space. Live music, exercise, bingo, and many other activities happen here daily. We have a continued learning center near our front desk. In here you will find residents reading in the library or using one of the 3 computers. We also have our Dakim Brain Fitness machine in this area. If you traveled down the North Hallway, you would find the Fiesta Lounge. In the Fiesta Lounge, we have our ShapeMaster equipment, BikeAround, and a pool table. Outside on the Southside, we have a lovely dog park and walking trail- we love our furry friends at Sandia Vista

What safety features or security measures does Sandia Vista Senior Living offer to independent living residents?

Safety is a top priority for us at Sandia Vista. We are the only gated Independent Living Facility in Albuquerque. We have security cameras in all common areas/hallways and outside of the building. The front desk is manned 24 hours per day, so there is always someone there to keep an eye on the property. Each resident is provided with an emergency pendant. If they need assistance for any reason, they can push this emergency pendant and we will be there within minutes to assist them. Each apartment restroom also has an emergency pull-cord.

If Sandia Vista Senior Living accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

We are a pet-friendly community! Dogs, cats, birds, reptiles, gerbils - bring them all. The community features a fenced dog park and a walking trail. There are weight restrictions for dogs. Dogs can be walked for a minimal additional monthly fee. We do collect a small, non-refundable pet deposit for any pet. Pets are allowed on any floor and in any apartment.

Does Sandia Vista Senior Living work with an agency or registry to provide nursing and medical assistance as needed?

Simplicity Home Health is on-site 24 hours per day at Sandia Vista. Simplicity allows residents to age-in-place in an independent setting. Simplicity is able to assist residents with the activities of daily living (ie: dressing, bathing, toileting, etc.). Simplicity care plans are overseen by a Registered Nurse. Services from Simplicity include medication management and administration, escort to medical appointments, meals, and activities, support with grooming, and much more. All services provided by Simplicity Home Health come at an additional fee.

Costs for Sandia Vista Senior Living

Photos of Sandia Vista Senior Living

Services and Amenities of Sandia Vista Senior Living

• Fee Structure Extra: Entry Fee Cost : $1000

• Pets: All Pets Allowed

About Sandia Vista Senior Living

Our philosophy of service at Sandia Vista Senior Living in Albuquerque, New Mexico is that Independent Living encourages an active and free senior lifestyle that supports residents’ privacy and dignity. Our senior apartments are considered the largest and most spacious in Albuquerque.

Additional Services:
  • Housekeeping & Linen Service
  • Computer Office & Library
  • 24-Hour Staffing & Emergency Response
  • Pet-Friendly Community with Gated Dog Park

Our community environment is rich in daily activities, with all day restaurant-style dining, graciously appointed interiors and apartment styles. Our Independent Living environment provides full-service senior living with resort-style amenities in the heart of New Mexico, serving Albuquerque and surrounding communities.

Map of Sandia Vista Senior Living