43 Independent Living Communities near Chicago, IL

2017, 2018

The Breakers at Edgewater Beach

5333 North Sheridan Road, Chicago, IL, 60640

We liked The Breakers at Edgewater Beach very much. It is very well organized, very well run, very inviting, and very warm. It seemed to be a good value for your money. It was very resort-like. The st … (read more)

2015

Brookdale Lake View

3121 North Sheridan, Chicago, IL, 60657

I like the layout, the general appearance, and the location of Brookdale Lake View. I also liked the layout and storage of the rooms. The place was clean and spacious. The person who showed me around … (read more)

2015, 2016

Autumn Green at Midway Village

6700 S. Keating, Chicago, IL, 60629

Autumn Green at Midway Village has a dining room with all the meals every day for five days a week, an activity room for arts and crafts, their own shuttle bus to shuttle residents to and from doctors … (read more)

Brookdale Lake Shore Drive

2960 North Lake Shore Drive, Chicago, IL, 60657

I’m in independent living at Brookdale Lake Shore Drive and almost everyone is independent here. I’m very happy and satisfied with everything. They’ve been doing a lot of remodeling because they had w … (read more)

2016

Autumn Green at Wright Campus

4239 N. Oak Park Ave., Chicago, IL, 60634

Autumn Green at Wright Campus is located in a peaceful area of Chicago, Illinois, a few minutes away from Edgebrook Golf Course, Harlem Irving Plaza and the Kennedy Expressway. Residents note the frie … (read more)

2018

Senior Suites of Garfield Ridge

5839 S. Harlem Ave, Chicago, IL, 60638

I was happy with Senior Suites of Garfield Ridge. I mentioned that my mother had section eight, and they said they have a process for that. They were very helpful and informative. It’s very clean, and … (read more)

Senior Suites of Jefferson Park

5400 N. Northwest Hwy, Chicago, IL, 60630

Senior Suites of Jefferson Park was very nice. The woman was very accommodating and showed me an apartment that I loved. I talked to the residents, who were all very nice and very friendly and liked i … (read more)

Senior Suites of Marquette Village

7430 S. Rockwell Street, Chicago, IL, 60629

There was no food facility at Senior Suites of Marquette Village. The staff was good, and the apartments were nice, but they’re small. There was nobody in the activity room when I went. I love the bui … (read more)

Senior Suites of Washington Heights

848 W. 103rd Street, Chicago, IL, 60643

The apartments at Senior Suites of Washington Heights were small for me. Other than that, the staff was very courteous and very nice. There were some people playing cards and some shooting pool. It wa … (read more)

Senior Suites of Auburn Gresham

1050 West 79th Street, Chicago, IL, 60620

Senior Suites of Auburn Gresham was nice. The staff was very professional. It was beautiful. They offer bingo and a little place just to sit down and get to know each other.

Senior Suites of Midway Village

6800 South Keating Ave., Chicago, IL, 60629

I liked Senior Suites of Midway Village, it was nice. The parking was free, and the rooms were large. They have a guest lounge. The residents that I saw there were very helpful. The place was clean, a … (read more)

Senior Suites of Chatham

8300 S. Cottage Grove, Chicago, IL, 60619

I thought this place was GREAT for many reasons. It was very clean and the staff was amazingly welcoming. Ms. Lashaunda specifically has been GREAT!!! I love how they are very concerned and engage … (read more)

Senior Suites of South Shore

2355 East 67th Street, Chicago, IL, 60649

My wife and I are staying at Senior Suites of South Shore. The staff is excellent when it comes to working with people. We have access to nurses and doctors. The staff comes up and checks on you, and … (read more)

Senior Suites of Autumn Green at Wright Campus

4255 N. Oak Park Avenue, Chicago, IL, 60634

Senior Suites of Auburn Green at Wright Campus is the one we found for my mother. It is very clean. The gentleman that I spoke with during the tour was very knowledgeable. The rooms are very spacious, … (read more)

Senior Suites of Norwood Park

5700 N. Harlem Ave, Chicago, IL, 60631

Senior Suites of Norwood Park was nice. It used to be an old church or a monastery, so it had kind of darker interior look, but it was all nice and new. However, I don’t think it had all of what I was … (read more)

Senior Suites of Central Station

1400 S. Indiana Avenue, Chicago, IL, 60605

Senior Suites of Central Station had nice studio apartments. The staff was very nice, friendly, and helpful. The amenities were very nice. I liked the library and the TV area on the first floor. I als … (read more)

Senior Suites of Hegewisch

13550 S. Avenue O., Chicago, IL, 60633

Senior Suites of Hegewisch was fantastic and I loved the apartment. They were very cordial. It was a nice, clean place, and I won’t have to pay any utilities. I’d have my own parking and there were la … (read more)

Senior Suites of Rainbow Beach

2804 E. 77th Place, Chicago, IL, 60649

I visited Senior Suites of Rainbow Beach. The inside was nice, but they need to change the hallway carpet. The apartments were clean, they were a nice size. I looked at the studio and the 1-bedroom. T … (read more)

Senior Suites of West Humboldt Park

3656 West Huron Street, Chicago, IL, 60624

Senior Suites of West Humboldt Park is beautiful. The apartments and the buildings are very clean and well kept. The community is quiet and secure. They take the residents without transportation to do … (read more)

What to Expect in an Independent Living Community

Many seniors love how independent living communities reduce unwanted stress, hazards, and fatigue in their lives. Independent living communities take care of housekeeping, yard work and meals while still allowing residents personal space and the dignity of making their own choices. These communities usually provide seniors with an apartment that has a small kitchen, bathroom, living room, and one or more bedrooms. Those who want a small space may even find that some independent living communities offer studio-style apartments. Seniors can invite guests over and enjoy their rooms however they see fit.

Independent living communities often also include the following:

• Numerous opportunities for socializing and exploring new activities
  • Easy access to public or community-provided transportation
  • Meal plans for community dining as well as kitchens for seniors who like preparing their own meals
  • The ability to keep small- and medium-size pets such as dogs and cats
  • Housekeeping, laundry and groundskeeping services
  • 24-hour staff on-site who can be contacted if a problem arises

For a more detailed look at common amenities, check out our guide to independent living communities.

What Couples Should Know About Independent Living in Chicago,IL

The bustling city of Chicago is located on Lake Michigan in Illinois and is home to 2,700,000 people. The city is mostly known for its abundance of museums, including the Field Museum, the Art Institute of Chicago and the Chicago History Museum, all offering discounted admission for seniors. It’s rated the sixth most walkable city in the nation, making it easy for active adults to navigate the city and complete most errands on foot, it also has a reliable transportation system, which those aged 65 and over can ride for free.

In addition to its many museums, Chicago offers an array of festivals all throughout the year, unique walking tours that allow sightseers to explore the city’s architecture and history as well as dinner cruises on the Chicago River and Lake Michigan. With its many attractions, Chicago may be a good choice for active seniors who are interested in downsizing and enjoying their retirement years to the fullest.

Paying for Independent Living in Chicago, IL

Chicago is a relatively economical city for independent living. On average, independent living costs $1,399 per month, versus the national median of $2,550. This makes the city a good option for seniors who have a limited retirement budget.

The annual cost of living in an independent living community can range anywhere from $12,000-$42,000, depending mostly on the amenities, room type and cost of living in the area. In addition to using personal retirement income, annuities, long-term care insurance, or cashing out an existing life insurance policy, some seniors can use Social Security funds, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments granted due to disability or low-income or HUD-provided housing assistance such as vouchers. Another route many seniors choose to fund their independent living stay is renting out or selling their homes that they won’t need once they move or taking advantage of a reverse mortgage

Our guide provides a more in-depth look at independent living costs and solutions for those who want to learn more.

How to Choose an Independent Living Community

When choosing an independent living community, it’s best to consider many factors, including the community’s proximity to loved ones and medical care, the state of repair that the facility appears to be in, the attitude and efficiency of the staff, the cost of both rent and services, the facility’s pet policy and more.

Comparing multiple communities can help seniors and their families figure out what they value most in an independent living community. During tours of these communities, staff members should be available to answer questions. To help with the touring and comparison process, we’ve included a checklist full of pertinent questions that anyone can download and print for themselves.

Transitioning to Independent Living

Independent living communities, rather than memory care or nursing homes, are often the first place seniors move to when they realize they need a lifestyle change. The necessity of letting some possessions go and the reality of leaving a home and neighborhood after possibly decades of residence there can make transitioning to an independent living community difficult. These communities are often friendly places, but being in a new environment still initially triggers feelings of loneliness in many seniors.

Having a strategy for dealing with the challenges of moving can make the transition to an independent living community a positive experience. We’ve created a downloadable step-by-step guide for tips to making this transition as smooth and enjoyable as possible.

Independent Living Resources in Chicago, IL

There are many other resources and activities for seniors in Chicago. Use the table below to learn about the options available for older adults in the area.

ResourcePhone Number Description
Norwood Park Senior Center(773) 775-6071This 7,000-square-foot senior center features a large state-of-the-art fitness facility with cardiovascular and strength training equipment, and it also gives seniors access to computers, a library and conference room. Members also have the opportunity to go on trips and participate in special events. Membership is free to adults aged 55 and over. The center is open Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and on Saturdays from 7:30 a.m. to 11 a.m.
DFSS Regional Senior Centers(312) 744-4016 Chicago is home to a network of senior centers that are operated by the Department of Family and Support Services. These centers provide social communities for older adults aged 60 and over and host activities, such as day and overnight trips, life enrichment classes and fitness and wellness programs. The centers are situated throughout the city, ensuring easy access to all residents. Amenities and hours of operation vary by location.
DFSS Transportation Program(312) 744-4016Through the Chicago Transit Authority’s Taxi Access Program, the Chicago Department of Family and Support Services provides door-to-door transportation services at reduced rates and emergency medical transportation service to eligible seniors. This service is available to older adults who qualify under the Regional Transit Authority’s Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) program.
Adult Continuing Education(800) 232-7242The School of the Art Institute of Chicago, which is among the most distinguished independent schools of art and design in the nation, provides noncredit courses and certificate programs for adults. Through this program, participants can explore new modes of creative production, learn new skills or brush up on old ones in a state-of-the-art facility.
HandsOn Suburban Chicago(847) 228-1320HandsOn Suburban Chicago is the local sponsor of Senior Corp-RSVP, a national volunteer program for adults aged 55 and over. Through this program, participants have the opportunity to engage with their community and provide valuable services, such as tutoring economically disadvantaged students, assisting disabled community members and helping economically disadvantaged adults receive literacy training.