Brookdale Jensen Beach

Reviews of Brookdale Jensen Beach

Assisted Living Reviews for Brookdale Jensen Beach

December 24, 2015

By PennStreet

Really disappointed in care since Brookdale took over. Food is worse, service is worse, thinking of moving my mother back home. Chicken was awful today, carrot salad was worse. Mashed potatoes were 1/4 cup serving? Loved this place when Emeritus ran it. MANY of the staff people are Wonderful but there seem to be less of them? Building Improvements do Not =. Good client care. Food is very important for the elderly. If it is not appetizing they are not going to eat!

August 30, 2015

Brookdale is very homey. It’s nicely furnished, the people are terrific, and the meals are good. It’s in a nice location, and it has a pool.

August 10, 2015

By Robert111659250

I visited Brookdale Jensen Beach for my parents. We like it. It is up on the hill, and it is right across from the park. We were thinking about that place too. It seemed to be nice, but it was a little bit older, and I didn't really see as much easily accessible outdoor-type activities there. However, the facility was clean, and the staff was nice and pleasant too. I wouldn't hesitate to put my parents there.

July 06, 2015

I really liked the woman who showed me around Brookdale. She spent lot of time with me, and I got a sense of her caring nature. It was very quiet when I was there. I thought the rooms were smaller. The facility sits up on a hilltop, and you have a view of the ocean. They have physical and occupational therapy right in-house. The building seemed a little older. They have card players that play regularly.

May 29, 2015

By Jeanne28

Brookdale Jensen Beach was nice but not quite as nice as the other place. But the people there are very friendly. I love the lady administrator who runs the memory care. She was very nice and took a lot of time with me. Even though the place is not quite as nice, it was actually cheaper and they had specials wherein they give you one month free. It would be a tough decision if I actually brought my parents down here. The rooms were adequate and fine. They have a lot of activities. They have a lot of the same things, like they take people to day trips. They take them to outings to the beach and several different places. They have several different activities that they have listed on a paper they gave me. It seems like they were adequately staffed -- a little better than some other places. They do have extra people whenever they took them out to outings. It wasn't quite as beautiful inside as the other place, but they had some other things that were good. The people over there were friendly and very accommodating, while the lady in charge was very nice.

April 07, 2015

By Julia14

I placed my mother in Brookdale Jensen Beach. It is a very nice community. They seem to be very attentive to their clients, and the clients seem well cared for. I see lots of gentleness and smiles. It looks very good. So far, they have been wonderful. My only complaint is that they had five admissions on the same day, so it was a little confusing the first couple of hours.

March 31, 2015

I was able to visit Emeritus at Jensen Beach and it was a very nice facility. Its location is very good, but their rooms are very small and not furnished. Everything else was very pretty. I met the coordinator and she was very nice.

February 26, 2015

The Emeritus at Jensen Beach was too expensive, and the place was too big. The staff was OK, but I did not care for it. The building was very nice. The food was OK, and the activities were about the same as any other places. I suggest that when we say something, they keep their word on it. She had to be out by a certain time when she was going into the next facility, they told us the amount of time when she had to be out, and then they tried to charge us for it. I did not like the facility.

February 25, 2015

By Marilyn38

My father is now in Emeritus at Jensen Beach. The staff is helpful, and the place is nice. They seem to give people enough freedom although the food could be better. Other than that, everything seems to be OK. The room that my father is in has enough room and is spacious. I think they could improve upon the food quality. Just from the talk from people in there, they serve a couple of good meals. Then they use whatever is left from the other ones to kind of mix up stuff. It is kind of cafeteria food. They could do with a little more activities. Now they do a lot of bus trips. They take them out to the store, to the beach, and sometimes to the park. But they don't really have enough physical activities. The layout of the facility and the staff impressed me the most.

December 29, 2014

By Rosemarie9

Emeritus at Jensen Beach was a very nice place, clean, and very pretty, and the people there seemed happy enough. The apartment was very nice, bright, and airy, and they serve three meals a day. I don't have anything to say against it. They're also a little cheaper than others. I asked them questions, and they seemed to be right on top of things. They pretty much had everything. I just thought the apartment was a little small, and the kitchen was very small; I would've liked something a little bigger.

October 22, 2014

I moved to Emeritus in December. It is homey. I have an apartment with a living room, a bedroom, bathroom, and a little foyer with a walk-in closet. It is spacious. The food is good, better than in a hospital. The staff is very nice, accommodating, and very friendly. I’ve gone to play Bingo a couple of times.

September 08, 2014

By Patricia89483150

The person that guided me around Emeritus was wonderful. She answered everything, and she took the time to sit down with me and explain everything. I was very impressed, I thought it was a beautiful facility, and I thought that would be a good place to be. The only thing I was worried about was it was high on the hill -- they’re right on the water, and so a lot of wind and storms. If I can afford it, I might want to go there. I remembered they had a happy hour when I walked in on them. The residents seemed happy.

August 30, 2014

Emeritus at Jensen Beach was very rundown and kind of dirty. It was up on a hill. It was a large old building with great views, but the building itself was very rundown. The apartments inside that I saw were pretty rundown. The kitchen and the bathroom were old. The guest bathroom in the waiting room was dirty and there was a hole on the wall. When I sat down on the couch, there were papers stuffed in it. Also, there was a very long walk from the rooms to where my dad needed to go. The person who was showing me the rooms told me they do that on purpose so that people get exercise. This is supposed to be an assisted living, so I just thought they weren't going to take care of their needs. Their café had pre-packaged food that you might find in a vending machine.

August 27, 2014

By Kathy84079650

Emeritus was fine. I liked that it would be close to where we lived. I also liked that they have in-house doctors and nurses. They do everything medically there. They have a pool and also if I were to choose a place, it would probably be this one. The staff keeps in touch with me and e-mails me -- they're going to be working with me financially, too. They offer everything that I'm looking for. I don't have to take her out to go visit the doctor. They come to her. I was very impressed with this one so I didn't really go any further.

July 26, 2014

By Brenda41

The location of Emeritus was beautiful, and it was perfect for me. The neighborhood was beautiful. It was more affordable, also. When I walked in they were cleaning the carpet and there was a pervasive odor. I didn’t know where it came from or why they were cleaning the carpet. Maintenance-wise, it was less well kept than the other facilities I visited. The person who gave me the tour was very friendly and helpful and when she showed me the room, I saw that it needs to be redone. The lady who just moved out had apparently been there a long time, and it was a disaster. If they are going to show people a room they should have it ready.

July 19, 2014

Emeritus was very nice. They were very helpful and very caring. It just didn't work out financially. They were too expensive. The staff was very good. It's assisted living, and you can come and go. There was somebody at the front desk, and they have an Alzheimer's wing but that's lockdown. Everybody we talked to was very nice, very accommodating. They called us back when they were supposed to.

June 26, 2014

By Theresa20

Emeritus was very nice, but they're expensive. The people are wonderful. It looked clean to me. The rooms are nice. They had us for lunch. It was good.

June 19, 2014

My mother moved to Emeritus at Jensen Beach on June 2. She liked the studio apartment because it's large. She is very happy in this facility. She is not yet participating in the activities, but I know that they have different church services, and they also have arts and crafts. They have special cookouts for different events. They have people come in for piano recitals. I have eaten there several times with my mother. I have been very impressed, and the quality of the food is good. Mom has been eating more since she has been there. The dining room is open from 7 am to 7 pm. They don’t have specific times for their meals. They can just go when they want, and that is very good.

May 10, 2014

Emeritus looked very clean, neat, and very well-maintained. All of the residents I saw were very well cared for. They seem to have a fairly wide variety of activities. It seemed very pleasant and like a more controlled living environment. There's security so that the residents wouldn't wander off. They seem to have sufficient staff.

March 31, 2014

I liked Emeritus because it was smaller. I liked the location, which was right across the park. I liked that they would take me to St. Andrew's Church on Sundays. I also liked the fact that there was an indoor pool.

March 27, 2014

By Bill41

I like Emeritus. I put my father in there, and I am very happy with it. It is clean and well-managed. They have good activities, and the dining area seems sufficient. The people there are excellent and easy to work with.

February 24, 2014

By Edward12

A few months ago, we placed my dad at Emeritus at Jensen Beach. We chose this facility because they were able to meet our objective. It's nice and clean. We were able to get a good deal with regards to the room and the care that he would be having. I think the staff is good. They have social activities that he enjoys like bingo, Wii bowling, and he also plays pool. They also play music there. He likes happy hour and attends social gatherings.

December 01, 2013

By Rick14

Emeritus was very nice and seemed like it was a very pleasant place. It was very clean and well kept. Their residents were clean and their staff was friendly. They have a room setup that I visited and it was like one that they would show people. It was nicely furnished; however, I didn't see if all the other rooms looked like that. The different programs they have for their residents seemed very nice.

October 11, 2013

What I like best about Emeritus was the cleanliness of the place. Also this particular place is incredibly close to our house, so that was a big, big plus. I also like the administration there. They seemed to know the names of their residents. The staff was outstanding! They're very friendly and very nice. They were attentive to their residents. They even knew their little habits, which I felt was very good. For activities, they have baby dolls for the women to play with. They also have arts for them. We visited in particular their memory care unit. It was very clean and tidy. It had no smell. The layout was very simple. It only had one hallway, so I can see that people aren't going to get lost or anything like that in this facility. It was very nice. My only complaint was that you wouldn't be able to go outside. If you have to go outside, you would have to have somebody to go with you. There was also no available garden for the residents there, so that's one drawback. However, I would still consider this place for my mother.

September 24, 2013

By Pat33

Emeritus was wonderful. The staff was welcoming, professional and reassuring. They answered all of our questions and provided us with great information. They took us on a lovely tour of their facility. They seemed used to working with senior who were making tough decisions in their lives and to move into a facility was a tough decision and the treated it with respect, care and compassion. My mom and I were impressed with Emeritus though their rooms were a little smaller than the one where my mom stayed now.

January 05, 2013

By spikers

Unless your parent "loved one" is capable of taking care of themselves this community is very hard to discover the method to their madness. Understaffed and take it out on extra questioning residents. The rooms are spacious. The food is salty. My loved one needed too much help even though passed the qualifications to give deposit and live there long enough to figure out social life is not as described. Services were not as depicted in literature. Make sure you read all the small print because the management makes no exceptions. Lovely location for independent seniors.

October 23, 2012

By mcsv0621

As a young adult university student, assisted living facilities can be quite different from the norm. I was visiting a close friend's recently moved grandparents when I first encountered this location. His grandfather had recently lost most of his eyesight due to a stroke and his grandmother suffered from Alzheimer's Disease. What I truly appreciated from this facility was their pet policy. The older lady was truly attached to her dog and made her calm and relaxed when having behavioral episodes. During move in, the staff was friendly and helpful. Their view was also very nice. Their living quarters by themselves are spacious enough for two people; lacking space would seriously be shocking to people accustomed to independence their entire lives. My one comment is simply about the atmosphere and tone of the place. While I was visiting in the late afternoon, most of the place was really quiet, lacking liveliness. Perhaps more social activities and overall interaction should be encouraged.

June 11, 2012

By granmapickle

After having had to make the difficult decision to place my husband in a memory care facility we carefully chose Emeritus at Jensen Beach. The staff and administration were more than helpful and comforting in our difficult time. The facility is spotless and well maintained, the rooms are quite spacious. The rates are reasonable.

May 17, 2012

By truereview

I have an elderly parent in this facility. Overall the property itself is well maintained and in a fantastic location. Staff is friendly. The dining areas are nice but the food dismal. When senior diets should be limited in sodium this "chef" uses a lot of pre made foods, soups etc which are extremely salty. Limited fresh produce and lack of salad both green and fruit is disappointing. Pool is lovely and overlooks a nice park and river. Unfortunately was closed for more than 5 months while temps in S FL were in the 80s and it is supposedly "heated". Mid May still no water aerobics as advertised. This Facility has Unlimited Potential...hopefully it will improve.

March 06, 2012

By needbetterhealthcare

I worked as private care for a resident in this home over the summer of 2011 (not an employee of Emeritus). The maids only cleaned half-way, they gave the resident a hard time about bringing meals up to her room when she was sick because they were too lazy to bring it up to her, the nurses were incompetent and did not administer the proper medication at the proper times, the staff was extremely rude to the family of the resident and to me, and the poor woman was only in there for about 5 months before she passed.

Questions about Brookdale Jensen Beach

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

All Brookdale employees receive Alzheimer's Lev 1 & Lev 2 training and annual update. We have mandatory monthly all-staff meetings, department-specific training and computer-based training and testing every month.

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Brookdale Jensen Beach. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

late 50s to 90s with a good mix ratio of 60s, 70s & 80s!

What programs or activities does Brookdale Jensen Beach offer to enrich residents' well-being?

BFit programming specific to cardio, balance, strengthening - trips to Indian Riverside Park, Downtown Jensen Beach landmarks & dining, small social clubs to big room dancing!

What places are near Brookdale Jensen Beach or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

Indian Riverside Park on the Indian River, Dolphin Bar, Conky Joe's, Crawdaddy's, Bennehannahs Japanese Steakhouse, Jan's Place Breakfast Diner, Martin County Sailing Club, and more!

What transportation services does Brookdale Jensen Beach offer to assisted living residents?

Appointments Tuesday & Thursday within 10 miles, trips to Publix, CVS, Walgreens, Banks & Pharmacies, Walmart, Dollar Stores, Kohl's, and restaurants! Our Drive Joe does a historic scenic route & trips offsite!

What makes the chef or dining program at Brookdale Jensen Beach exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

Chef Mindus has been with Brookdale 7 years, and takes the time to get to know our residents, their likes & dislikes & has been 'opening' breakfast a little early every day for years to accomodate a few 'early birds'! Most importantly, she and her team are great cooks & our residents meet our Chef monthly for Chef Chat to provide feedback & share what they would like on upcoming dietary menus for snacks, Always Available & Special Menus!

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Jensen Beach offer to assisted living residents?

Covered Drive Entrances, wide hallways throughout, all common-area restrooms equipped with pull-cord & residents are provided a personal pendent to wear on their person for assistance, 24/7 associate assistance, grab bars in resident apartment bathrooms, and in-house Therapy Home Health providers & other healthcare professionals.

How does Brookdale Jensen Beach keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

Our families get an email update at least twice monthly on the goings-on & our residents, even if they are completely independent and assessed bi-annually or as needed. Our Clinical team will follow-up with families directly on any or no changes. Brookdale Jensen Beach also does a manager call-out periodically to touch base with all responsible parties.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at Brookdale Jensen Beach during daytime and nighttime hours?

Brookdale's Personal Service System is designed to take each resident's preferences, including times of day, into account & scheduled so the system can ensure appropriate staffing for our residents care needs to the hour of everyday. The ratio fluctuates with our resident's personal care needs.

If Brookdale Jensen Beach accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

We welcome dogs, cats, and other pets to Brookdale Jensen Beach - Brookdale is the only senior living that has PET CARE PLANS that include walks, litter boxes, food & water and pet medication!

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

Brookdale Jensen Beach completes all state-regulated training requirements, one-on-one, group training, computer training and testing, shadowing other associates, and orientation. This process is 1-2 weeks.

How many staffers are on duty in the daytime and overnight?

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Jensen Beach provide to protect residents who wander?

We have a secured, separate Memory Care community on site. If our residents have no infection or illness and suffer from short-term memory loss, we would work with our families to transition them to Memory Care so they can be engaged socially and enjoy a programming designed specifically with them in mind.

What programs or activities does Brookdale Jensen Beach offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

Our Memory Care Programming is designed for residents with short-term memory loss and our Memory Care Program Coordinator works with families to learn hobbies, professions, hometowns and much more to create events our residents will enjoy.

Assessments are completed prior to taking a possession of an apartment, 14-30 days later, then bi-annually or as needed if there is a condition change. Families are notified of any changes.

What techniques does Brookdale Jensen Beach use to support memory care residents during mealtimes?

Brookdale has created a table-setting that helps residents during meals with dark placement & white plates. Residents are given a few drinks, ie water and juice to ensure hydration, usually fish aquarium is playing as studies indicate this helps people with Memory Loss consume more food, and lastly our associates describe the meals and allow them to enjoy a social setting focused on eating while monitoring their intake. If they are not enjoying their meal, they are offered and served a different meal.

How does Brookdale Jensen Beach keep residents' families informed about their loved ones' health?

Describe the neighborhood around Brookdale Jensen Beach. Is it located in a residential neighborhood, a business district, a rural setting, or other type of locale?

Brookdale Jensen Beach is located on 10 acres, directly across from the Indian Riverside Park & Indian River. It's a small town, salt in the wind kind of place. No high-rises for miles and very relaxed and home-style.

Is Brookdale Jensen Beach affiliated with a hospital if more care is needed?

Brookdale Jensen Beach residents are taken to Martin Memorial North, soon to be Cleveland Clinic, minutes away.

Photos of Brookdale Jensen Beach

Services and Amenities of Brookdale Jensen Beach

About Brookdale Jensen Beach

Amenities and Services
  • Daily assistance with bathing and dressing
  • Medication management
  • Dining assistance and special diets
  • Assistance with reminders and redirection
  • Escorts and assistance with walking
  • Emergency response call system
  • Laundry and linen service

*Rates subject to change at any time. Level of care not included.

Assisted Living Facility #9294