15 Assisted Living Facilities near Port Washington, WI
Also serving communities of Saukville, Fredonia, Fredonia.
There are 15 Assisted Living Facilities in the Port Washington area, with 4 in Port Washington and 11 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Port Washington is $3,866 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,630. Cheaper nearby regions include Grafton with an average starting cost of $3,670.
To help you with your search, browse the 38 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Port Washington. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Port Washington 3.9 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Grafton with an average rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Port Washington, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Port Washington, WI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Port Washington
Retirees enjoy New England charm and Midwestern friendliness in the historic fishing village of Port Washington. The seat of Ozaukee County rests on the shore of Lake Michigan, about 27 miles north of Milwaukee. History buffs, boaters and anglers find much to do in this maritime wonderland.
Seniors aged 65 and older make up nearly 15% of Port Washington’s population. Those wanting to live as independently as possible while receiving support with daily activities find three community-based residential facilities (CBRFs) and residential care apartment complexes (RCACs) in Port Washington, with another 10 nearby. Wisconsin’s Department of Health Services licenses and regulates CBRFs and RCACs in the entire state.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Port Washington
- Seniors with respiratory illnesses may be concerned to learn that the American Lung Association grades Port Washington’s location in Ozaukee County an “F” for ozone pollution, but it does have an “A” for particle pollution.
- Senior Citizens who are valid Medicare card holders pay just $1.60 to ride the Ozaukee County Express to Milwaukee. This two-way bus service makes five trips into Milwaukee each weekday from Port Washington.
- The Port Washington area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Ascension Columbia St. Mary's Hospital Ozaukee, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Although seniors living in Port Washington don’t pay state income taxes on Social Security benefits, they are taxed on income from pensions, annuities, and distributions from IRAs and 401(k) plans. Wisconsin holds the No. 10 slot on the Kiplinger 2018 list of least-friendly states for retirees.
- Port Washington receives an average of 43 inches of snowfall annually, and winter's low temperature in January averages 12 degrees. Seniors who suffer from cabin fever during long winters may find the climate in Port Washington unsuitable for their active lifestyles.
- High housing costs in Port Washington result in an overall cost of living that’s about 17% higher than the national average. Seniors do pay about 10% less for groceries, but may end up spending the savings on healthcare, which is about 7% higher.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Port Washington
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Wisconsin
Assisted Living costs in Port Washington start around $3,866 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Port Washington and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Port Washington
Port Washington seniors may be eligible for financial aid to help cover the costs associated with RCACs and CBRFs through waivers found in Wisconsin’s Medicaid State Plan. These include the Elderly and Physically Disabled 1915(c) waiver program, the Family Care program and Personal Care. Seniors receiving SSI may be eligible for a monthly subsidy from the Wisconsin Supplemental Security Income Exceptional Expense Supplement (SSI-E) program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Port Washington
Port Washington and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Port Washington, please visit our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Port Washington
Port Washington-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Wisconsin are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Wisconsin page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Port Washington
Review of Lincoln Village Senior Living
I toured Lincoln Village Senior Living and I thought they did a great job. It's a huge place and they have a lot of amenities, but I think it was just too big for my mom. I think if she would have ... Read more
Review of Ellen's Home of Port Washington
We toured Ellen's Home of Port Washington and it looks like a newer place. It's in a beautiful subdivision. Sonja, our tour guide, did a fantastic job of touring us. They call it a senior assisted ... Read more
Review of Lincoln Village Senior Living
I toured Lincoln Village Senior Living in Port Washington for my mom. The rooms were beautiful, well-appointed, newly carpeted with great paint. I just thought it was a gorgeous facility. I also ... Read more