5 Assisted Living Facilities in Montgomery, TX
The average cost of assisted living in Montgomery is $3,450 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Conroe with an average starting cost of $3,351.
To help you with your search, browse the 21 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Montgomery. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Montgomery 4.2 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include The Woodlands with an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Montgomery, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Montgomery, TX
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Montgomery
When drought struck the small town of Montgomery, TX, in the 1950s, city planners decided to solve the water problem for good by digging a manmade lake just outside of town. Today, seniors in Montgomery, along with their friends and families, can visit the artificial Lake Conroe recreation area that runs north of town and into the Sam Houston National Forest. Montgomery has 12 assisted living communities for its aging citizens, who can expect room and board, emergency response and help with activities of daily living (ADLs) for their monthly fee. These properties are regulated and inspected by the Texas Department of Health and Human Services, which classes them as Type A long-term care facilities, where the emphasis is on quality care and a maximum of senior independence.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Montgomery
- The weather in Montgomery is similar to nearby Conroe, where summer highs average 94 degrees Fahrenheit in summer, which makes August a good month for seniors to spend in air conditioned surroundings. Winters here are mild, with average overnight lows of 40 degrees in January.
- The cost of living in Montgomery is significantly lower in some key areas for seniors than it is in other parts of the country. Groceries, for example, cost only 91 percent here than the national average, while health care costs roughly 97 percent the national rate.
- Seniors pay no income tax on their wages, pensions and other retirement income in Texas, which doesn't have a state tax on money earned. Senior shoppers do pay a statewide sales tax of between 6.25 and 8.25 percent, however, and aging citizens with cars of their own must pay the state's 20 cent per gallon gasoline tax.
- Montgomery has such a small population that its crime rates swing wildly above and below the national average, sometimes depending on whether a single crime has been committed in a given year. Most of the time, rates are low.
- Public transportation in Montgomery is provided on the regional level by the Brazos Transit District. This service operates a trolley in downtown Woodlands Township, as well as fixed-schedule buses throughout Montgomery County. Seniors can call for paratransit and on-demand rides for destinations off the main bus routes.
- The Montgomery area is home to world-class medical facilities, including CHI St. Luke's Health Emergency Center–Montgomery, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Montgomery
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Texas
Assisted Living costs in Montgomery start around $2,400 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Montgomery and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Montgomery
Seniors in Texas can get help paying for assisted living with a Medicaid waiver called STAR+PLUS, which is administered on the state level.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Texas page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Texas page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Montgomery
Montgomery and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Montgomery, please visit our Assisted Living in Texas page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Montgomery
Montgomery-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Texas are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Texas page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Montgomery
Review of Live Oak Senior Care
We chose Live Oak Senior Care for Mom because they had the best COVID prevention, and it's a beautiful facility. They're just outstanding. We were so impressed with the facilities themselves, the c... Read more
Review of Silver Hills
Silver Hills was very dated and wasn't as nice as the other places, but it's also cheaper. It's just an older place, I didn't love it as much as the other ones we saw. The staff who assisted me did... Read more
Review of Genesis Senior Care
I was looking for a place for my husband a year ago next month, August 2018, and a nurse told me about Genesis II that would be opening soon. She said she would put her mother there in a heartbeat ... Read more