The Woodlands is a master-planned suburb of Houston with a variety of parks and green spaces. It’s a fast-growing township with 114,436 people and a slightly lower than average senior population. The Woodlands is a very safe city with low crime rates and sunny weather year-round. It has slightly lower health care costs than the U.S. average and is within close range of some of the country’s top health care providers.

The city also has a broad selection of assisted living communities for seniors seeking a little help with personal care and daily chores. In most cases, these facilities provide around-the-clock monitoring in case of emergencies. In The Woodlands, this type of care costs $4,245 per month, on average.

This guide is designed to make retirement planning easier by providing information about assisted living in The Woodlands. It discusses the pros and cons of the city, its long-term care costs and the resources it offers local seniors.

Directory of Assisted Living Facilities in The Woodlands, TX

The Village at The Woodlands Waterway

2323 Lake Robbins Drive, The Woodlands, TX, 77380

The Village at The Woodlands Waterway was good. I have no issues with it. They showed me the complete facility, the rooms, the common areas, the little gym area, the pool, and the outside. It looked g … (read more)

2015, 2016

Reunion Court of the Woodlands

1730 Woodstead Court, The Woodlands, TX, 77380

I liked Reunion Court of the Woodlands. The facility itself, and the caregivers were very nice. I would rate them a five, but I usually take my mom for walks in her wheelchair and there’s not a great … (read more)

Grace Residential Care Home

25914 Oak Ridge Dr., The Woodlands, TX, 77380

My mother has lived at Grace for nearly 3 years. It is a light and bright space with outdoor options. The staff have always been caring and I am always up to date on my mother’s condition. They were … (read more)

2015

The Forum at the Woodlands

5055 West Panther Creek Drive, The Woodlands, TX, 77381

I went to The Forum at the Woodlands. I just did not get a good feel at all there. I know that when you’re doing a tour, they’re putting on their best, but just the underlying current there, I was jus … (read more)

The Wellington at Conroe

500 River Pointe Drive, Conroe, TX, 77304

The Wellington at Conroe is located in Conroe, Texas, convenient to Interstate 45 and just minutes from great shopping, restaurants and entertainment, all of which are easily accessible via the highwa … (read more)

2015

Brookdale Cypress Station

303 Lantern Bend Dr., Houston, TX, 77090

I toured Brookdale Cypress Station. I was not crazy about the fact that the rooms were on the third floor and the dining room was on the first floor. They had a very nice library, but that was the onl … (read more)

Ella Springs Senior Living Community

16700 Ella Blvd, Houston, TX, 77090

I was able to visit Ella Springs Senior Living Community. The rooms were small, the kitchen and microwave were dorm-size, and I didn’t like it. The library was awful, I saw almost nothing in terms of … (read more)

2016

Spring Creek Village

20305 Holzwarth Rd, Spring, TX, 77388

We’re in the process of moving my mother-in-law to Spring Creek Village. The staff who toured us around was very knowledgeable and very helpful. They were able to get stuff done quickly for us and fol … (read more)

Lewis Park Estates Senior Living

450 North Rivershire, Conroe, TX, 77304

Lewis Park Estates Senior Living is located just north of Houston in Conroe, Texas, conveniently close to the North Freeway’s direct route between the two cities. The facility’s tranquil neighborhood … (read more)

Atria Cypresswood

6611 Cypresswood Drive, Spring, TX, 77379

We went to Atria Cypresswood Assisted Living. It was nice and the food was excellent. It was all very nice and very clean, and everybody was friendly. We were there at lunchtime so there weren’t a lot … (read more)

Assisted Living and Memory Care – Ultimate Care by God’s Angels

29730 Spring Terrace Drive, Spring, TX, 77386

I took my Mother-in law to see this place & 2 other homes, we both were very surprised to see that everyone was very helpful, polite & experienced. The homes was very clean & had a lot of … (read more)

Assisted Living and Memory Care – Ultimate Care by God’s Providers

21050 Normandy Forest Drive, Spring, TX, 77388

When I had to make that difficult decision for care for my husband, I visited many assistant living locations. This was all new to me and scary at the same time. I asked a lot of questions and had h … (read more)

Sycamore Creek Ranch- Cypresswood

6510 Cypresswood Dr, Spring, TX, 77379

My mother was in Sycamore Creek Ranch and I have nothing to say but wonderful things about the facility. The staff was very caring and went out of their way to make my mother feel comfortable. They … (read more)

Strake Place

1701 Westview Boulevard, Conroe, TX, 77304

My mother moved into Strake Place. Our experience has been very good. It’s very clean. They are short-staffed right now, but the director and the other staff are picking up wherever. They’re very atte … (read more)

Wood Glen Court

5000 Cypresswood Drive, Spring, TX, 77379

We are temporary residents here during the week that our sister community was closed to repair flood damage from broken pipes during the hard freeze. They outdid themselves creating living space for … (read more)

The Pines at Oakhurst

25206 Oakhurst Dr, Spring, TX, 77386

My mom is at The Pines at Oakhurst. It’s a small community and the staff is very caring. She’d fallen and broken her hip. And they’ve just gone above and beyond to make sure she has what she needs. Sh … (read more)

Sycamore Creek Ranch- Shenandoah

8938 Tamina Rd, Shenandoah, TX, 77385

Sycamore went above and beyond to meet the needs of my mother when she was there. I am so glad she had the last months of her life there. She was happy and enjoyed the staff and facility. Thanks to al … (read more)

The Bellaire Senior Lodges

6420 Cypresswood Spring, Spring, TX, 77379

I toured The Bellaire Senior Lodges. It was really nice. The staff were very accommodating. They work around my schedule. I don’t live in Houston, so I really wasn’t sure what time I could go, but the … (read more)

Cura at Homebridge

1324 Lemm Rd 2, Spring, TX, 77373

My dad is at Cura at Homebridge and it’s been a very good experience. The people are excellent, and the staff is very nice. They’re good communicators. They are very understanding, very helpful, and v … (read more)

Assisted Living and Memory Care – Ultimate Care by God’s Servants

231 Ridgewood Dr., Spring, TX, 77386

This is the 3rd assisted living my mother has been in. We are so pleased with the care and attention mom receives. She has many health issue which the owner (a nurse) and the staff stay on top of. S … (read more)

COVID-19 Rules for Assisted Living in The Woodlands

Since most COVID-19 rules for Assisted Living Communities and other Senior Living Facilities are set at the state level, you can view the specific rules for your state on our Guide to Assisted Living in Texas. Keep in mind that every community has specific policies that they put in place to protect their residents, so you should contact your local community for more information. Additionally, you can contact your local Area Agency on Aging to learn more – find contact information here.

What to Consider About Assisted Living in The Woodlands

Assisted living facilities in The Woodlands and throughout Texas are governed by the Department of Health and Human Services, which enforces the state’s senior care regulations. This may include regular inspections for licenses in communities where seniors require specialized health care.

Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in The Woodlands

• The Woodlands is a very safe city. Its violent crime rate is 16.2 compared to the U.S. average of 22.7. The city’s rate of property crime is 34.5 compared to the national median of 35.4.
  • The cost of living in The Woodlands is 12.9% higher than the national average. However, health care costs are 4.4 points lower than the U.S. benchmark of 100. Utility and transportation costs are also a little more affordable than average.
  • The Woodlands has warm weather year-round with no snow, which makes it easy for older adults to get around.
  • With 142 physicians per 100,000 people, The Woodlands has a lower number of physicians than the nationwide median of 210 per 100,000 people. However, the city’s proximity to Houston means it’s within close range of some of America’s highest-rated hospitals, including the Houston Methodist Hospital.
  • The air quality in The Woodlands is a little lower than average at 53, compared to the national index of 58, which may not be ideal for seniors with asthma or respiratory illnesses. The city’s water quality is a little better than average at 61, compared to 55, the U.S. water quality average.

Paying for Assisted Living in The Woodlands

In The Woodlands, assisted living facilities charge a monthly average of $4,245, although actual costs can vary by location. According to the Genworth Cost of Care Survey, this is costlier than the Texas median of $3,998 per month. However, assisted living in The Woodlands is a little cheaper than the U.S. average of $4,500 per month.

The Cost of Assisted Living in Nearby Cities

Seniors living in nearby Beaumont pay a little more for assisted living, at $4,372. Costs are much higher in Victoria at $5,600. In Corpus Christi, assisted living is more affordable, averaging $3,388. San Antonio is similarly affordable at $3,413.

$4245

Corpus Christi

$3413

San Antonio

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Seniors considering assisted living might also like to consider other types of long-term care. In The Woodlands, in-home care and home health care both cost $4,576 per month. Adult day health care is significantly more affordable at $1,099. Nursing homes provide the highest level of care for the highest price at a median of $5,262 for a semiprivate room.

$4576

Adult Day Health Care

$4245

Assisted Living Facility

$5262

Nursing Home (semiprivate room)

Note: Data for The Woodlands was unavailable, so data for the nearest city, Houston, was used instead.

Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in The Woodlands

The Texas Department of Health and Human Services can help seniors find assisted living homes in The Woodlands, Texas, within their budget and that provide the level of care they require. Those with Medicaid, Medicare or SSI income, may be eligible for assisted living financing. The STAR+PLUS serves specific areas of the state, providing an alternative to nursing facility placement and also covers the cost of assisted living.

Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Texas page.

Paying for Assisted Living Facilities in Texas

More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living

• Veterans Benefits
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Reverse Mortgage

For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Texas page.

Free Assisted Living Resources in The Woodlands

In The Woodlands and the surrounding area, a variety of charitable and governmental organizations offer free services to older adults. Some are listed below.

Resource

Contact

Description

This agency serves the majority of The Woodlands, offering a Medicare counseling program and case management services to help seniors access financial aid and housing. Its Long-Term Care Ombudsman advocates for seniors in assisted living homes. It partners with the County of Galveston Senior Services to provide transportation for adults over 55.

This AAA serves the remainder of The Woodlands and offers similar services, including benefits counseling, transportation and a Long-Term Care Ombudsman program. It also runs health promotion programs, including mental health counseling, dental clinics and financial assistance with prescriptions and personal care supplies.

This federal vet center serves the northern Houston area and its suburbs. Veterans can get referrals to health care and mental wellness services. Long-term housing placement is also available here, as are a variety of financial assistance programs.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in The Woodlands

The Woodlands Assisted Living Communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all Assisted Living Facilities in Texas are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Texas page for more information about these laws.

Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Texas